Thread: Migration from Google Apps?

Default Migration from Google Apps?

Hi,

I am about to switch to ZCS but I am trying to figure out the best way to migrate my existing mail from Google Apps. I have a number of mailboxes some quite small but 1 with 10s of thousands of emails in it and I don't want to lose those emails - does anyone know of a sensible way to migrate those emails? The only option I can see from Google's side is to download the mail to my desktop client and "archive" it, but that is not very practical as I refer back to the emails frequently due to the nature of my work. I could of course setup ZCS with a different domain and then forward all the mails to a new address at the new domain, close down my Google Apps, migrate the old domain to Zimbra then re-forward again - but again this is hardly a very practical solution.

I presume people have had to deal with this issue in the past, so I am hoping someone has a more robust solution. Not surprisingly when I search Google for "Migrate mail from Google Apps to Zimbra" all the responses I get are "Migrate mail from Zimbra to Google Apps" (VMWare may want to contact the FTC and EU Commission about this as both are currently investigating Google under anti-trust/monopolies law).

Thanks in advance.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You can use IMAPSYNC to migrate mail from any IMAP server, search the forums or wiki for "imapsync" and/or have a read of some of these threads.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    You can use IMAPSYNC to migrate mail from any IMAP server, search the forums or wiki for "imapsync" and/or have a read of some of these threads.
    From what I can see, IMAPSync is no longer free, however, I am currently 3/4s of the way through using IMAPCopy and it seems to be working ok, although I had to push it through stunnel to get it to connect correctly.

Thanks.

You can create external account in ZCS as well In each of the corresponding account of gmail . Co figure this account as IMAP .

Once synced , you can change the Mx entry . The mails would start coming to new server . The folders synced of external account can be reorganised later in whichever way a user feels ok .