Thread: Zimbra vs Atmail and Plesk

Default Zimbra vs Atmail and Plesk

Are there any known compatibility issues with Plesk and Zimbra or Atmail?

Quote Originally Posted by tc211 View Post
    Are there any known compatibility issues with Plesk and Zimbra or Atmail?
    We're using Plesk with Zimbra. Must disable all mailing functions/services in Plesk in order to avoid conflicts with Zimbra. Nothing else required. Be sure to fix some variables in PHP.INI refering the mail functions.

Atmail, imho, has "nothing to do" compared with Zimbra, but it's true that Atmail can work as a mail client and/OR mail server.

Regards,

Albert.

AtMail has just released an open source version of their web mail client. From their blog:

We are proud to announce the availability of AtMail Open! An Open-source AtMail edition based on the Apache 2.0 license, which is provided as a lightweight Ajax Webmail client with a focus on usability and simplicity.

Welcome to the forums MrLinksy

Have you run a comparison between Zimbra and @Mail from a functionality perspective ? Would be nice to hear your views. Hopefully you will be back soon

Glad the open-source world expands a little farther, though AtMail needs a little convincing on the server front...
    (FYI: Zimbra already has both open source ZCS server & web-client standalone aka Zimbra Desktop.)

I tried the demo but could not see the calendar function ?

woah
    AtMail Open: Redefining Open Source Webmail

No AV, AS, Ajax Calendar, for Open Source version.

Also, I don't see CalDav/WebDav anywhere. Those are the future of messaging. Hope they can include it.

Seems pretty cool tho. I'm not gonna bash Anything that provides users an OPTION (even better if it's a Open Source Option), is a great thing in my book.

Props to the atmail.org team!

uxbod "Have you run a comparison between Zimbra and @Mail from a functionality perspective ? "

I have only tried a comparison of the commercial version of AtMail and the commercial version of Zimbra. That being said, I am moving towards a shift (both personally and professionally) in moving people towards the more secure angle of setting up systems based on what is proper and secure vs. what is more convenient. Offering a web based client for email need some careful consideration when it comes to security.

mmorse "FYI: Zimbra already has both open source ZCS server & web-client standalone aka Zimbra Desktop"

I haven't had the opportunity to try the open version of the Zimbra server yet. I am downloading this now and I will give this a go over the long weekend. I'll post what I find after the holiday.
    Last edited by mrlinsky; 05-21-2008 at 01:29 AM.

Default Zimbra vs. AtMail

We were users of AtMail for about 5 years. We have had a number of issues over the years which we have tried to get resolved. Unfortunately AtMail support is not good at all. They take 2 - 4 weeks to get back to you and then don't really provide you with any answers. And we payed for support!

Functionality of Zimbra is way above AtMail. AtMail's collaboration is buggy and there syncronization does not that well. The Zimbra collaboration is much better and provides a true MS Exhange alternative. Zimbra's ability to link ansd share folders, calendars, and documents is excellent. We had issues with AtMail's ability to do this. We tried for many months to get support, with no real help from AtMail. Integration of other applications via the ziimlets puts Zimbra in a class above.

You will pay a little more for Zimbra but it is well worth it.

Angry ATMail is crap - NEVER buy or trust them ...

I would stay far away from ATMail. Their commodity product has caused them to do some very unethical business practices and they do not stand behind their product. I speak from first hand dealing with them on a project.