Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Import from .pst completes but no messages shown in mailbox

Question Import from .pst completes but no messages shown in mailbox

Hello,

I successfully installed Zimbra 8.0.3 Open Source just to test its features for my company. Everything works great except for the import from a .pst file.

In my test environment I have a few mailbox @testdomain.com.

First test: I've tried to import a .pst file (Outlook.pst generated in Outlook 2010) with the ZimbraMigration tool available in the Administration Console. Everything looked perfect and working but at the end of the wizard, checking in the web UI of the mailbox, there were no message in folders. Inbox, Sent, etc were empty but using "search" I was able to find all imported messages. It looks like the tool correctly upload the emails but not in the right mailbox folder.

Second test: pst with a lot of subfolders inside and calendar with a few appointments. Migration tool worked without apparent errors. Checking the web UI, NO mail in Inbox or Sent, just 3 folders from the .pst were created (draft, Notes and Junk) and correctly filled with messages and the calendar has been correctly imported with tasks inside. Also in this case, if I search for the other emails, I'm able to find 'em through the search function.

Third test: .pst coming from Office 2007. Same as the other test. Not working. Messages were there with "search" but not in folder tree.

Am I missing something? I tried to find a solution in the wiki or in forums but with no luck.

I forgot to mention: my Outlook installations are all in italian language so, during the migration process, I see
    Posta in arrivo
    Posta inviata
    Bozze
    etc.
    (the Outlook italian folder names). I hope this is not the cause, handling folder names in different languages.

Giorgio

After further investigations, I found the problem: it is a matter of language.

In my pst the INBOX is called "Posta inviata", TRASH is "Posta eliminata" etc.

The migration tool looks for the INBOX, SENT, TRASH and JUNK: it doesn't find them so put all the messages in the root folder. This is the reason why I'm able to find 'em through the webmail search but not inside the correct mailbox folders.

Unfortunately, Outlook does not allow to rename these folders so the only workaround I found is to rename the folders with their english name using a third party tool, MFCMAPI.

After renaming them, the migration tool works like a charm.

Hope it will be fixed soon in the migration tool, creating a "multilanguage" tool instead of modifying the pst, otherwise I should rename hundreds of pst files...

Hi Giorgio,

what did you exactly do? I've the same problem regarding the german language.

Did you open the PST through MFCMAPI and changed the Folder Names there? Did you also change the folder names in your Zimbra Mailbox?
    Can you describe your process a little bit more precise? Thanks a lot

Best regards

Stephan

You must rename the principal folder names (Inbox, Sent, Trash and Junk) opening your PST through MFCMAPI. Follow these instructions, chapter "Manually renaming the folders via MFCMAPI" Rename the default folders | HowTo-Outlook

Then, upload this PST with the Zimbra Migration Tool into the system.

You DON'T need to change your Zimbra configuration or language.

Everything should now works correctly and you should find your e-mails in the right folders.

ZCS 8.0.4 release has done some significant work on adding more language support, so this issue may be resolved with that release.
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------
    Zimbra :: the leader in open source messaging and collaboration

Quote Originally Posted by quanah View Post
    ZCS 8.0.4 release has done some significant work on adding more language support, so this issue may be resolved with that release.
    Hello quanah,

something has changed in 8.0.4 but instead of solving the language issue, it creates another one.

Now the migration tool:
    - Didn't put the Sent messages in the Sent folder: they are migrated but not indexed
    - Didn't recognized the Draft folder (in italian "Bozze") so it creates another one
    - Didnt' recognized the Junk folder (in italian "Posta indesiderata") so it creates another one
    - Inbox folder is still empty
    - The imported Inbox tree has been imported with the prefix "Posta in arrivo_" for each folder name, for example my tree is
    Posta in arrivo (INBOX)
    |- FOLDER1
    |- FOLDERTEST
    |- TESTFOLDER
    the Migration tool creates just three folder called
    Posta in arrivo_FOLDER1
    Posta in arrivo_FOLDERTEST
    Posta in arrivo_TESTFOLDER

so that I cannot see the Inbox content and all my subfolders have been renamed like that.

So far, I think the best way to import is still using the above mentioned third party tool.

Quote Originally Posted by giorgio.penna View Post
    Hello quanah,

something has changed in 8.0.4 but instead of solving the language issue, it creates another one.

Now the migration tool:
    - Didn't put the Sent messages in the Sent folder: they are migrated but not indexed
    - Didn't recognized the Draft folder (in italian "Bozze") so it creates another one
    - Didnt' recognized the Junk folder (in italian "Posta indesiderata") so it creates another one
    - Inbox folder is still empty
    - The imported Inbox tree has been imported with the prefix "Posta in arrivo_" for each folder name, for example my tree is
    Posta in arrivo (INBOX)
    |- FOLDER1
    |- FOLDERTEST
    |- TESTFOLDER
    the Migration tool creates just three folder called
    Posta in arrivo_FOLDER1
    Posta in arrivo_FOLDERTEST
    Posta in arrivo_TESTFOLDER

so that I cannot see the Inbox content and all my subfolders have been renamed like that.

So far, I think the best way to import is still using the above mentioned third party tool.
    Please make sure to raise the issue under appropriate category to get quick attention. This should be under Migration category.

Which language code(<LangID></LangID>) you provided while migrating from exchange to zimbra? I hope you provided <LangID>1040</LangID>. Language issue is been fixed in 8.0.4 and if you still facing any issue then please file a bug for the same with appropriate details. Even for same language, different flavors are available e.g. Italian(Italy) & Italian(Switzerland) etc. Language issue is fixed by considering standard language mapping so chances that some folder name mapping is missing or incorrect. E.g. "Sent Items" in Spanish have translations as "enviados" and "Elementos enviados" with different flavors of spanish. It would be great if you could please share the Italian folder translations to make the correction if any.

Inbox :
    Deleted Items :
    Junk E-Mail :
    Sent Items :
    Drafts :
    Contacts :
    Tags :
    Conversations :
    Calendar :
    Emails Contacts :
    Chats :
    Tasks :
    ~=Prashant=~

Hello Prashant,

thanks for your reply. I wrote this message originally in the Migration category but an admin moved it here...

Anyway, I didn't move from exchange to Zimbra, just made a fresh installation on a CentOs 6.4 machine. No language problems at all in the web interface just with the .pst upload. It messes around with folders as you've read in my previous post.

Here you can find the translation, hoping that there is a way to import pst files without using third party utilities to modify all my (hundreds of) pst.
    Inbox : Posta in arrivo
    Deleted Items : Posta eliminata
    Junk E-Mail : Posta indesiderata
    Sent Items : Posta inviata
    Drafts : Bozze
    Contacts : Contatti
    Tags : Tags
    Conversations : Conversazioni
    Calendar : Calendario
    Emails Contacts : Contatti Email
    Chats : Chats
    Tasks : Attività

Last edited by prashant; 06-19-2013 at 02:11 AM.
    ~=Prashant=~