Thread: Stuck during a 32 bit to 64 bit migration RHEL 5

Hybrid View

Default Stuck during a 32 bit to 64 bit migration RHEL 5

hi everyone, we are trying to get onto some new hardware to better support our users and there looked to finally be a nice way to migrate zimbra from the 32 bit version to the 64 bit version here : Simplified ZCS to ZCS Rsync Migration - Zimbra :: Wiki

i got my new server setup with RHEL 5 64 bit and the old box is RHEL 5 32 bit.

the steps on the guide were followed to the letter and i encountered only 1 small hicup in the instruction list.

when it tells me to:

Code:
     rm /opt/zimbra/data/ldap/config/*
    it gave me an error about not removing a folder i was curious if that command should have been

Code:
     rm -rf /opt/zimbra/data/ldap/config/*
    for the whole thing.

but i didn't question it and just continued with my install.

everything seemed to be going perfectly but after doing the last ./install.sh it fails at

Code:
     "Backing up Database...Failed"
    and aborts the install. and thats where i get stuck

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Meowmixjinx View Post
    hi everyone, we are trying to get onto some new hardware to better support our users and there looked to finally be a nice way to migrate zimbra from the 32 bit version to the 64 bit version here : Simplified ZCS to ZCS Rsync Migration - Zimbra :: Wiki
    There's a link on the wiki page you've posted that's a Zimbra Certified document about moving from a 32bit to 64bit server, you should follow those instructions (obviously leave out any NE specific steps if you're on the OSS version) or take the easy route and use ZeXtras.

BTW, the current version of RHEL (and CentOS) is 6.5, I'd suggest you use that for your new server.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

The original method seemed pretty convoluted compared to the method i tried, and id love to make the move to RHEL 6 but all the info i found said that it was poorly advised to try to go to RHEL 5 and 32 bit zimbra to RHEL 6 and 64 bit zimbra.

Im looking into Zextras now. how is it the easy solution?

Thanks for your help.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

The original method seemed pretty convoluted compared to the method i tried,
    It may be convoluted but it's the method that works, your method of doing an rsync does not convert the LDAP to a 64bit version - that's a recipe for disaster. You should also note that the method you're using will lock you into using a ZCS 7.x version as ZCS 8.x is no longer supported on anything other than RHEL 6 - you'd still have to go through another move and O/S upgrade plus a ZCS upgrade. You haven't mentioned which version of ZCS you're using so there's obviously some assumptions made on my part about moving your current ZCS version to the RHEL 6 server and your required sequence of upgrades.

and id love to make the move to RHEL 6 but all the info i found said that it was poorly advised to try to go to RHEL 5 and 32 bit zimbra to RHEL 6 and 64 bit zimbra.
    The Certified wiki article tells you that it's possible to move to a new O/S (and it is).

Im looking into Zextras now. how is it the easy solution?
    You install ZCS 8.0.6 (wait until tomorrow to see if it's out) on your shiny new RHEL 6.5 server you then install the ZeXtras software. When you've done that you go through the steps to move your domains and users + their mail boxes to your new server - how much easier can it be? As I mentioned above, you haven't given details of your ZCS version so you may need to bring that up to a newer version to use ZeXtras but that's a minor step.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

sorry using zcs 7.2.5 32 bit forgot to mention that part.

ok ive got my RHEL 6.5 server up and running and i just had a question looking at the guide.

Code:
         Zimbra LDAP Server - For Domain to create - identify the same default domain as on the original server.
    im not sure what my default domain is this is a server that changed names a few times how do i find what this should be really?
    Code:
        Zimbra Mailbox Server - An administrator's account is automatically created.
    the admin account has a different domain than the mail servers domain i just wanted to make sure that wouldnt break anything EG admin@mail.domain.com is the base account and mail.domain2.com is the server name.
    Code:
            Make sure that the account name for Admin user to create is the same name as on the original server.
            Set the admin password.
            Change the Spam training user and the Non-spam (HAM) training user account names to be the same as the spam account names on the original server.
            Global Document Account - This account name is automatically generated. Change the Global Document Account name to be the same account name as on the original server. 

Change any other settings on the new server to match the configuration on the original server.
    spam user, ham user and document accounts are easy to figure out. but im not sure i know which admin account im suppose to use.

i just dont want to do all the rest of it and find out it doesn't work because its expecting a different value than what i put in.