Thread: Advice on moving from sendmail to Zimbra

Default Advice on moving from sendmail to Zimbra

So I've got about 100 users that I am (most likely) going to be moving to Zimbra. All of them are currently pop3 through sendmail.

Here's my problem that I need advice on. I'm not a huge sendmail guy. I need sendmail to look at the recip address and pass it on to Zm if and only if I specify that user.

I want to migrate slowly. Start with IT, then move on to some guinea pigs, then everybody.

Any thoughts? I'd be up for going the other way if needed too... (ZM as main MTA passing on everything except valid ZM users...)

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Have you had a look at a couple of documents on the wiki? There's the migration and Split Domain pages. Have a look at those and see if they do what you want, if there's any questions post them here.
    Last edited by phoenix; 11-07-2007 at 11:04 AM.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Damn! You beat me to it.
    Regards

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Damn! You beat me to it.
    I try

So the migration stuff I don't really care about. My users can import their own .psts if they must.

The split domain stuff is very helpful on the ZM side, but not so much about what to do for the other side (yes, I understand, sendmail configuration is outside the scope of the document and if anyone tried to cover everything it would be far too enormous).

buuut... I still need to figure out how to do it. I'll post here if I find anything.

I am doing something very similar in my environment, and I cannot figure out how to make the users on my sendmail (which will be the primary) forward their emails to the zimbra server when I migrate them. I would like to use the same domain name on both servers.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyB View Post
    I am doing something very similar in my environment, and I cannot figure out how to make the users on my sendmail (which will be the primary) forward their emails to the zimbra server when I migrate them. I would like to use the same domain name on both servers.
    Welcome to the froums.

Use the Split Domain link in my post above, reviw that wiki article it explains how set it up. DO you need to know how to forward a users mail from sendmail to your Zimbra server?
    Regards

Bill

The split domain link is bad. Try this... Split Domain - Zimbra :: Wiki

I ended up using .forward during migration... so logically it went like this...

outside world -> sendmail -> if .forward, then ->zimbra

For this to work, I had two domains set up on my zimbra server: domain.com and zimbra.domain.com, and all users needed to have aliases for both.

Then as I migrated users, I would do this:

echo "username@zimbra.domain.com" > ~username/.forward

This is only until I feel comfortable enough to actually switch the primary MTA over.

Hope I'm not being too confusing...

-Nutz

Welcome to the froums
    Thanks!

Use the Split Domain link in my post above, reviw that wiki article it explains how set it up. DO you need to know how to forward a users mail from sendmail to your Zimbra server
    I have read many posts and all the wiki's on this. I understand how it works but I could not find a way to make sendmail forward only certain users using the same domain.

For this to work, I had two domains set up on my zimbra server: domain.com and zimbra.domain.com, and all users needed to have aliases for both.
    I guess using 2 domains on the zimbra side is the only way!?

Also, has anyone noticed the search function on these forums doesnt work when using firefox? Always responds with nothing matches.