Thread: Eudora 7.x to Zimbra

Threaded View

Default Eudora 7.x to Zimbra

Hello everyone. I'm trying to move our company from a lot of individual Eudora "local" installs to a centralized e-mail server with web mail capabilities. Zimbra looks fantastic but appears not to be for the technically faint at heart

I've managed, with quite a lot of trial an error, to get a Zimbra server running on Ubuntu 6.10. I'm now trying to test migrating existing Eudora mail into Zimbra. I've found several threads on various forums and so far my process has been:

1) Configure an IMAP e-mail account in Eudora pointed at the appropriate mailbox on the Zimbra server.
    2) Append "/tb" to the user name (not sure what this does technically and it's supposedly targeted at Thunderbird migrations but without it I can't see any of the folders via IMAP in Eudora).
    3) Create directories via the Zimbra web mail front end (if I create them in Eudora and sync up they just disappear).
    4) Copy mail in Eudora from local mailboxes to the Zimbra account mailboxes.

My problems are thus:

* The initial connection to an empty Zimbra folder in Eudora takes around 5 minutes (it hangs Eudora with a pop-up box that it's opening the folder).
    * After copying messages it's sporadic getting them to transfer to Zimbra - sometimes messages just disappear after the sync, other messages sit in the Eudora folder but never show up in the Zimbra folder even after repeated sync attempts.
    * Messages that do transfer over are often HTML but are not shown as HTML in the Zimbra web mail front end. A lot of the Eudora messages have an extra tag (<x-html></x-html>) around the HTML tags which I thought was the culprit but I've found several e-mails which don't appear to have these and they still show up as plain text (i.e., you can see all the HTML tags spelled out).

Has anyone here migrated from Eudora or have some insight into this process that could make it easier and more reliable?

TIA.
    Last edited by rajahd; 02-21-2007 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Forgot one of the problems