Thread: Eudora 7.x to Zimbra

Hybrid View

Default Eudora 7.x to Zimbra

Hello everyone. I'm trying to move our company from a lot of individual Eudora "local" installs to a centralized e-mail server with web mail capabilities. Zimbra looks fantastic but appears not to be for the technically faint at heart

I've managed, with quite a lot of trial an error, to get a Zimbra server running on Ubuntu 6.10. I'm now trying to test migrating existing Eudora mail into Zimbra. I've found several threads on various forums and so far my process has been:

1) Configure an IMAP e-mail account in Eudora pointed at the appropriate mailbox on the Zimbra server.
    2) Append "/tb" to the user name (not sure what this does technically and it's supposedly targeted at Thunderbird migrations but without it I can't see any of the folders via IMAP in Eudora).
    3) Create directories via the Zimbra web mail front end (if I create them in Eudora and sync up they just disappear).
    4) Copy mail in Eudora from local mailboxes to the Zimbra account mailboxes.

My problems are thus:

* The initial connection to an empty Zimbra folder in Eudora takes around 5 minutes (it hangs Eudora with a pop-up box that it's opening the folder).
    * After copying messages it's sporadic getting them to transfer to Zimbra - sometimes messages just disappear after the sync, other messages sit in the Eudora folder but never show up in the Zimbra folder even after repeated sync attempts.
    * Messages that do transfer over are often HTML but are not shown as HTML in the Zimbra web mail front end. A lot of the Eudora messages have an extra tag (<x-html></x-html>) around the HTML tags which I thought was the culprit but I've found several e-mails which don't appear to have these and they still show up as plain text (i.e., you can see all the HTML tags spelled out).

Has anyone here migrated from Eudora or have some insight into this process that could make it easier and more reliable?

TIA.
    Last edited by rajahd; 02-21-2007 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Forgot one of the problems

How are you connecting, IMAP?

Attached are pictures of the Eudora e-mail setup with obfuscated info. I can probably cut stuff out of the logs if that would help. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the problem is on Eudora's side but since I've never used IMAP before I'm unsure where to start the troubleshooting process.
    Attached Images Attached Images

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

I've just been trying this with Eudora 7.1 and can't seem to reproduce any of the problems you're encountering. As soon as I connected to an IMAP account on my server it downloaded the folder structure quite happily. I can transfer files from the Zimnra server to Eudora and back without problems.

You should remove the '/tb' option you've set on the login, that is only for a bug in Thunderbird. Have you imported the Zimbra Certificate into Eudora? What does the 'Last SSL info' box show, is there any problems with that?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Hi Phoenix,

The SSL looks to be imported fine. This must have happened automatically as I didn't manually add it. One curiosity is under the Server Certificates the Zimbra SSL has 12 nested levels of the same certificate, like it's in a circular reference.

Just as some additional background. The Zimbra account has no messages (the ones that do get transferred I've deleted and emptied from trash between tests). Other than the default Zimbra mailbox structure I've added a root mailbox folder called "Eudora", and under it a sub mailbox called "House" (I'm using some personal e-mails I don't care about losing during my testing). Per your information, I'm no longer using the /tb option when testing this process.

When I create the IMAP account in Eudora it appears to only get the top level mailboxes upon the first login (it misses the House sub mailbox). I had thought this was fixed with the /tb option but further testing shows this is not the case. With or without /tb I have to perform a manual "Refresh Mailbox List" to get "House" to show up.

Now that "House" is there, I open it and transfer 1 message in (can be either copy or move drag and drop operation). It shows up in the House folder with an "unsync'd" icon. When the next sync occurs this message disappears. It's just gone - it does not show as deleted in the IMAP folder (when I right click on the House folder and choose "Show Deleted Messages"). It does not appear in any mailbox via the Zimbra webmail front end (including trash). If I move/copy another message into House and sync it works fine (after the sync the icon changes to a yellow "sync'd" icon and it shows up via the webmail interface in the House folder).

I'm experimenting with various controlled sets of actions from create account on to see if I can find out additional information.

Thanks for your help, I'll post additional findings soon.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You'll always need to do a 'refresh' to get any new folders that you create, I guess it's the Eudora equivalent of Subscribe.

How are you moving the mail between the folders? I use the right-click and transfer option. If I get some time later I'll try some more tests.

With the Server Certificates, did you add it to the Trusted store?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.