Thread: Migration testing

Default Migration testing

After working with Zimbra a while I am starting to plan our migration. I have 200+ accounts without a critical look, no more than 225, with varying amounts of mail. The top thirty mailboxes spanning 15gb to 1 gb. Testing the migration using the Zimbra tool (ZCSExchangeMigrationWizard-8.0.7.1146.exe) I had some success solving many problems by making recommended adjustments to the registry and Zimbra auth timeouts.

Currently it looks like it may take as much as three days to move our mailboxes so I am looking for any previous use/experience at speeding that time up. I am currently looking at running all mailboxes through once, then nightly until the cut over as that should make things go much faster. I can and probably should move the migration into the server network were I can make use of the 1gb network.

Any other advice on making this process faster?

Thanks,

DAve

Quote Originally Posted by yellowhousejake View Post
    After working with Zimbra a while I am starting to plan our migration. I have 200+ accounts without a critical look, no more than 225, with varying amounts of mail. The top thirty mailboxes spanning 15gb to 1 gb. Testing the migration using the Zimbra tool (ZCSExchangeMigrationWizard-8.0.7.1146.exe) I had some success solving many problems by making recommended adjustments to the registry and Zimbra auth timeouts.

Currently it looks like it may take as much as three days to move our mailboxes so I am looking for any previous use/experience at speeding that time up. I am currently looking at running all mailboxes through once, then nightly until the cut over as that should make things go much faster. I can and probably should move the migration into the server network were I can make use of the 1gb network.

Any other advice on making this process faster?

Thanks,

DAve
    Hi Dave, Welcome to Zimbra!. Please refer to migration user guide at http://files.zimbra.com/website/docs...dmin_8.0.6.pdf for detailed description for how to plan and proceed for migration.
    To speed-up the migration process, you can always run the multiple instance of the tool on different migration hosts (machine or VMs). You can run multiple threads per instance which should speedup the complete process.
    To start with migration process, I would suggest to start with 4 threads per instance. Please refer to tool generated logs for any errors/warnings during migration. Referring to logs is always helpful and suggested to confirm and verify the success. Please post the logs in case of any issues.

We have read the manual. In testing we had good luck with the Zimbra Tool migrating 25 accounts. Now with 250 it's not working so well. It would seem I get a lot of errors from the calendar "Rid 0 failed: (service.FORBIDDEN) (forbidden: Recurring series has effectively zero instances)".

I did follow the instructions for registry changes to keep the tool moving with errors, but I still see it fail after errors pile up.

Anything else I can look besides the registry keys?

DAve

It seems that there is some problem with some of the recurring appointments. Can you please attach the log file for inspection?

Quote Originally Posted by Amitabh Verma View Post
    It seems that there is some problem with some of the recurring appointments. Can you please attach the log file for inspection?
    I ran the tool on the last failed account only, to limit the file size. The error displayed is the error I get each time.

Thanks,

DAve
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by yellowhousejake View Post
    I ran the tool on the last failed account only, to limit the file size. The error displayed is the error I get each time.

Thanks,

DAve
    Hi DAve, Thanks for logs. Would it be possible to get any of these appointments in Outlook PST file to see what is different for them and causing the issue? It will expedite the resolution. You can PM me with link to get it.
    Thanks.

Those xml response files have already been overwritten, but I can run one of the failing users through again and then remote into their PC to get the PST. May take bit.

Thank you

DAve

With another user (just because they came up next, the error is the same) I have the appointment message, the request.xml, the response.xml, and the log from the migration wizard. Can I send them to you instead of posting them? They are filled with outside email addresses.

If I could get it to simply ignore the errors I would be fine I think. But the regedit key change doesn't seem to do that.

DAve
    Last edited by yellowhousejake; 08-20-2014 at 11:27 AM.

Still having the wizard fail after errors. Tried on two machines now with the registry changes, no luck. Anyone have a work around?

DAve

Bueller?
    Bueller?