Thread: Importing mail from Exchange 2013 to Zimbra ZCS 8.0.7

Default Importing mail from Exchange 2013 to Zimbra ZCS 8.0.7

I have finally moved over to my ZCS server for e-mail and want to retire my Exchange server. Mail is flowing into and out of it just fine - the problem I'm having is importing all my old mail from Exchange.

I've found the new and depreciated tools in Zimbra and tried them all. The 'Zimbra Migration' utility works 'ok' for importing from PST, but the format of the messages that it imports is totally messed up - basically, HTML messages seem to lose everything but the text that they had in them. If I try using it to import direct from the Exchange server, every single message has a simple text string indicating that it has no content.

The old PST import tool fails pretty much right away due to 'too many errors'

I've tried using PSTs from Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2013 (2013 was first and I thought maybe it was something with the 2013 format).

I also tried connecting Outlook up to the Zimbra server via IMAP and copying messages in that way - that messed them up even more.

Is there some way that I'm missing to import the messages from PSTs that will preserve the formatting? Maybe a 'best' version of Outlook to use to export to PST?

Thanks,
    Dave

Hi Dave!

I used migration tools for Exchange a lot and although sometimes they are tricky to get them working, at least for my experience, they worked pretty fine. So, if it is ok for you, what I'll suggest is to keep trying those migration tools.

The version of the tool that works best for me is "8.0.0.673". This is not the latest one as the ones that came ofter this one gave me lots of problems with the ldap filters ( like this one "(&(&(objectclass=user)(objectcategory=person)(mai l=%u@domain.local))(!(userAccountControl=514))(!(u serAccountControl:1.2.840.113556.1.4.803:=2)))" ). I usually run this tool with an 2010 outlook and make sure that everything is in english.

You then could change windows registry in order to overcome the "exit" from "too many errors" (there are lot's of guides and links about it).

In any case, are you able to open a support ticket? (don't know if you are using NE or FOSS) Zimbra guys helped me with lots of migrations from the most bizzarre email systemas to Zimbra and I'm sure that they will solve any issue for an Exchange migration.

Do you use Exchange Public folders? Do you have a strategy for the migration of that info too?

Regards,
    Sebas

I found the version of tool you recommended by downloading 8.0.0, extracting it all and searching for the zips. Unfortunately, the results are the same. The import works, but the format is all messed up. Same results with this version when trying to import direct from the exchange server. The exact message in the messages is 'The message has no text content'.

It seems like no matter how I import the messages, the format gets messed up.

I don't have any public folder data, and I only have a few mailboxes to move as it's my personal e-mail server. Being the free version (I never got a quote from Zimbra for a paid version despite reaching out to them requesting one...), I don't believe I have any support other then these forums.

Hi SubnetMask,
    Other tricky way is you have Zimbra Collaboration Network Edition, install the Zimbra Connector, configure the Zimbra account in Zimbra mode in Outlook 2013.

Open your new acount in Outlook, then Import your PST in the same Outlook 2013.

I tried before and works.

Best regards

Unfortunately, I have Open Source edition, so I don't think that option is available to me - unless I'm missing something.

Hi SubnetMask,
    Could you please try with the last tool:
    x86 > https://www.dropbox.com/s/bbcxx896tl...7.1146_x86.zip
    x64 > https://www.dropbox.com/s/5n5751o21p...7.1146_x64.zip

And only do a User import, select PST and tell us.

Best regards

Quote Originally Posted by jorgedelacruz.es View Post
    Hi SubnetMask,
    Could you please try with the last tool:
    x86 > https://www.dropbox.com/s/bbcxx896tl...7.1146_x86.zip
    x64 > https://www.dropbox.com/s/5n5751o21p...7.1146_x64.zip

And only do a User import, select PST and tell us.

Best regards
    Thanks, but that's the version I started with (I'm running 8.0.7_GA_6021.FOSS).

I've gone so far as to spin up an Exchange 2007 server and import my smaller mailbox to test - same results - Except when importing from the server direct, I do get message content, but it's messed up the same as it is when imported from PST...

Can you please provide the log file generated by tool to see what is causing the issues with HTML? You may also raise the bug at https://bugzilla.zimbra.com and Zimbra migration team can help you.