Thread: Thunderbird IMAP Migration problem

Hybrid View

Default Thunderbird IMAP Migration problem

Hi Chaps

First congratulations on a fine product.

I'm currently evaluating Zimbra and am having trouble migrating my Thunderbird mbox email.
    I'm simply dragging the folder root from Local Folders to my IMAP account.

Thunderbird happily sets off copying folders and emails which I can see in Zimbra Webmail. The problem is that part way in to the copy (perhaps < 10%) the copy stops. There are no error messages in Thunderbird.

Any ideas?

Is there a debug mode in Thunderbird or a log file in Zimbra that might give a clue?

Is there a more failsafe way to migrate my folders?

Many thanks in anticipation
    Roy

Default Server to Server - use imapsync for IMAP Migrations

Do you have still IMAP access to the oldemail server?

If yes, then you couldperform a server to server migration.

Search on the forum, wiki and google for the unix script tool 'imapsync'.

Works fine for me to do IMAP migrations. But take cre about the exact options needed to conserver the 'received at' date.

If you only have the emails in Thunderbird, try to reduce the number of connections. In Thunderbird Menu > Extras > Options > Advanced > about:config advanced settings

Search for the key's containing 'connect' or 'imap'.

Thunderbird happily sets off copying folders and emails which I can see in Zimbra Webmail. The problem is that part way in to the copy (perhaps < 10%) the copy stops. There are no error messages in Thunderbird.
    I had this happen to one of my users when copying messages from Mail.app on a Mac over to the Zimbra server. The copy just kind of silently died. In our case I did find error messages about a dropped/broken connection in /opt/zimbra/log/mailbox.log. I don't really think it gave me any good info to troubleshoot the problem though.

The suggestions from the previous poster are definitely things to look at. Also, if you do end up copying from TB you might want to consider copying smaller chunks of messages. I know in my user's case she ran into the problem when she was trying to copy huge folders.

Default I found that thunderbird chokes on empty folders

I had the same thing happen. I finally figured out that thunderbird would hang during the copy to Zimbra if there were subfolders but no messages in the folder. The only solution I could come up with was to drop a dummy message in all empty folders.

I'm still looking for a solution to the fact that all of my message have been time-stamped in zimbra according to when I copies them to the server, not the actual message date.

if you do this from thunderbird to zimbra, add /tb to the login name of your zimbra account in thunderbird. With this, the original date will be preserved.

Default I just found that answer in another forum

Quote Originally Posted by NOZIL View Post
    if you do this from thunderbird to zimbra, add /tb to the login name of your zimbra account in thunderbird. With this, the original date will be preserved.
    Thanks NOZIL, ironically, I just stumbled across that answer in another forum. I've been experimenting with that switch and it works wonders. I'm actually moving between two zimbra servers and the switch is even correcting messages that got messed up in the original migration. Life is good. Zimbra Rules!
    Last edited by Mister3; 06-08-2007 at 02:59 PM. Reason: unfocused rambling

Quote Originally Posted by rsmithh View Post
    Hi Chaps

Roy
    Check the size of the messages, try sorting by size and check that the largest message is smaller than

Under Global Settings/MTA / Maximum size of an upladed file (kb)