Thread: Lotus Notes/Domino R5 Migration

Hybrid View

Default Lotus Notes/Domino R5 Migration

I'm about to install Zimbra on a VM for testing/playing, and would like to import some mail data from a Lotus install. Unfortunately it is an R5 setup and the migation wizard seems to support only R6 and above.

Can I assume that (as IMAPSync is recommended for migrating from other configurations) that the mail stores in Zimbra are hosted by a standard IMAP daemon so I can use a beafed up (so it supports attachments) variant of http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=136382 to extract the data from Notes/Domino and use the IMAP+MIME manipulation components I have licenses for to push that data into the Zimbra mail store?

Better still: is there already an easier way to migrate mail data from Notes/Domino R5 into Zimbra? The loss of calendar data would not be a large problem (old data is not absolutely needed as meeting confirmations and such for past events exist in the mail documents and the number of future events will be small enough to re-enter), but if that too could be transferred over it would be useful.

FYI: I am currently looking at the options a small business has for upgrading/replacing and ageing Lotus Domino setup with something that works and isn't just plain irritating. As upgrading Notes will involve retraining (the previous Notes admin has left the company) other options are being considered including Zimbra (the open source edition initially but as the company's needs grow the Network Edition would likely be needed later).

If migrating mail is your primary concern, and you want the path of least resistance, then I would say get outlook or Thunderbird, and set up two IMAP accounts and just move them across.

Quote Originally Posted by jholder View Post
    If migrating mail is your primary concern, and you want the path of least resistance, then I would say get outlook or Thunderbird, and set up two IMAP accounts and just move them across.
    That was my first thought, but this particular Notes install (I don't know if it is just the local configuration or if IMAP support was added after R5) does not accept IMAP connections and I don't know enough about Notes administration to try change that.

That and some of the server IDs/passwords seem to be AWOL so even someone who knows Domino may not be able to do anything about it - this is the main reason I'm trying to encourage them to migrate to something else (or obtain the services of a Notes expert!) ASAP - at some point something will go terribly wrong and *nobody* will be able to fix it. The other main reason being "as no-one half way understands the server setup, how do we know that it is secure from outside attack?!", of course.

Judging form this thread:
    http://lists.ccil.org/pipermail/fetc...er/005395.html
    It does support IMAP
    Can you telnet to port 143 on the server?

And this search:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=Lotus...ient=firefox-a
    Tells me that you probably arn't all that safe, although I would venture to say, based upon experience, that the likely hood of an attack is low.

Talking I'm a Lotus Domino Administrator, can I help?

Quote Originally Posted by dspillett View Post
    That was my first thought, but this particular Notes install (I don't know if it is just the local configuration or if IMAP support was added after R5) does not accept IMAP connections and I don't know enough about Notes administration to try change that.

That and some of the server IDs/passwords seem to be AWOL so even someone who knows Domino may not be able to do anything about it - this is the main reason I'm trying to encourage them to migrate to something else (or obtain the services of a Notes expert!) ASAP - at some point something will go terribly wrong and *nobody* will be able to fix it. The other main reason being "as no-one half way understands the server setup, how do we know that it is secure from outside attack?!", of course.
    I'm a Lotus Domino Administrator, can I help? If you at least have the certifier ID then all the other ID's can be re-created. Send me a private message if you want to discuss Domino administration support.

Version 4.5.2 or newer of the wizard should work against R5.
    http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14022

Let us know if you have any problems.
    Sam Khavari

:: :: [ Zimbra ] :: :: [ Bugzilla ] :: :: [ Product Portal ] :: :: [ Wiki ] :: :: [ Downloads ] :: :: [ . ] ::