Thread: Samba + Zimbra to Zimbra's Samba migration

Hybrid View

Default Samba + Zimbra to Zimbra's Samba migration

Hi all.

I have a customer currently running a standalone Samba server (PDC, no LDAP implementation) on one side and a standalone Zimbra server on the other side.

We're thinking of migrating this standalone Samba to a brand new shinny Samba-LDAP with WebUI 8)

Obviously, we don't want to create a new domain, nor create the users again.

So here comes my question : do you think it's possible to setup the Zimbra's Samba as a BDC to this domain (in order to populate the LDAP server with the users, computers and groups) then promote it to PDC (while stopping the old Samba server) ?

Quote Originally Posted by Klug View Post
    Hi all.

I have a customer currently running a standalone Samba server (PDC, no LDAP implementation) on one side and a standalone Zimbra server on the other side.

We're thinking of migrating this standalone Samba to a brand new shinny Samba-LDAP with WebUI 8)

Obviously, we don't want to create a new domain, nor create the users again.

So here comes my question : do you think it's possible to setup the Zimbra's Samba as a BDC to this domain (in order to populate the LDAP server with the users, computers and groups) then promote it to PDC (while stopping the old Samba server) ?
    Hi Klug!

I would migrate in 2 steps, first move from smbpasswd backend to LDAP backend, using a copy of the current Samba PDC on a test machine. Once you have it up and running on the test and you can just export/import your LDAP to Zimbra's LDAP and move the smb.conf to your new server.

I enclose a Python script taken from the Net that can be used to migrate smbpasswd to ldif. You will need to slightly modify it (e-mail domain, etc.), but it will help you with the hard part of the work. Just contact me directly if you need some help.

Carlos
    Last edited by cvidal; 04-18-2008 at 10:39 AM.

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

the idealx scripts should already be installed with the samba package, you could try those too, i've found good results with them in the past, as the whole samba-ldap support is built around them.

please let us know how you get on, i've been looking forward to merging my zimbra and samba ldap servers for ages!! the worry I would have at this point is whether zimbra upgrades will support these extended ldap attributes.