Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Integrating Zimbra into our current POP3 solution

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by kentm View Post
    Pheonix,

What are the options if they all get dropped into one box?

I have this and so far I have had to keep my old e-mail server running in the background to do this (602 LANSuite) and I would like to ditch that and run just the one e-mail server. I only have 6 accounts running.

I understand the spam ramifications of the multidrop and catchall functions.

Thanks,

Kent
    What are you trying to achieve here? Is it a complete migration of each of your accounts to Zimbra? Will you then have email delivered directly to Zimbra or are you going to collect it from a single ISP mailbox?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

I have all of my domain mail delivered to a single ISP provided mailbox. I pull all of that with LANSuite and it puts it in the correct mailbox for each of the six accounts with the administrators being the catchall.

Currently, I have Zimbra being the front-end of the solution by each individual setting up their account and polling LANSuite for their mail. I would like to eliminate the LANSuite server and have Zimbra pull the mail from the ISP mailbox and distribute accordingly.

Thanks,

Kent

Any reason why you wouldn't have your mail delivered directly to your Zimbra server rather than the ISP?
    Regards

Bill

My DNS is hosted by my ISP and they won't point my MX at my server, they will simply direct it to a multidrop mailbox.

I also do not have a public static IP and have not had much luck with DynDNS in the past.

Thanks,

Kent

Do you have a paid-for domain name? If so, you should be able to host that anywhere. If you can move your DNS records then I'd recommend using EasyDNS for hosting those records, they also cope with dynamic DNS records and they have a backup mail server facility that will store your mail for up-to five days if your connection is unavailable. You could still relay via your ISP to get around any RBL lists that think your may be a spammer because you're on a dynamic DNS. Receiving your mail directly is by far the preferred solution.

Failing the change of DNS hosting, the only solution I know of for multi-drop mailboxes is fetchmail (there may be others). I've never used fetchmail for that function but it should work, the documentation is here. Please note the information about the problems you may encounter.
    Regards

Bill

Thanks Pheonix.

I am looking into both of them and will hopefully find a solution that suits my situation.

Thanks!

Kent

I have found one other product that will get the mail for you but unfortunately it's no longer developed. If you want to look at it then it's on Sourceforge and it's called TrestleMail, it might be worth a try if fetchmail doesn't do what you want.
    Regards

Bill

Phoenix,

I have signed up with EasyDNS and am in the process of transferring the domain.

I have a couple of newb questions, though. Once I have setup the MX record as a host on my system (MX record and A record), do I simply need to forward TCP 25 to the Zimbra server at the firewall assuming I do not want to use POP3 externally?

All of my hosts will have the same external IP so I would forward the relevant ports to the proper hosts.

What if my ISP is blocking 25? I don't know that they are but in the past I have used a non-standard port and wouldn't mind continuing to do so. EasyDNS did not allow me to specify a port although my current domain forwarder does.

Thanks,

Kent

Yes, you just forward the ports thorugh the firewall to your Zimbra server, a list of ports we use is here - you won't need all of those ports. You will also need the Split DNS set-up as well.
    Regards

Bill

Phoenix,

Excellent suggestion on the EasyDNS. They are Canadian to boot...

I now have full DNS service with quick helpful tech support and it is nearly 50% cheaper than the crap service I had with Telus.

It is all working very well now and I will soon be asking stupid questions about more advanced features...

Like integrating my Asterisk server. 8^)

Thanks again.

Kent