Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Importing mailboxes from Apple Mail

Question Importing mailboxes from Apple Mail

I am new to Zimbra and plan on migrating all the mailboxes. The majority of my organization uses Apple Mail. Does anyone know how to import mailboxes from Apple Mail to Zimbra? I use the Network Edition btw.

Thanks!

is the mail currently stored on an imap server? (or is it downloaded via pop to apple mail?)
    imapsync would be perfect if you can leave your old solution up while you switch to zimbra
    or the slower method/one at a time: make two profiles in apple mail, thunderbird etc, and copy over mail folders.
    User Migration - ZimbraWiki
    Last edited by mmorse; 06-04-2007 at 10:32 AM.

Smile

The mail is downloaded via POP to Apple Mail. What's the best way to do it then?

Thanks.

Are there any 'copy' or 'copy to' features for folders or individual emails?
    (sry, not an mac person myself)

I did this for a couple of our users (Apple Mail/POP3 to Zimbra). Setup an IMAP account for the Zimbra server under Apple Mail. Then just copy messages from the POP3 folders to the Zimbra/IMAP folders. Based on a couple of things I saw when my users did this migration, I would recommend copying in smaller chunks of messages, rather than doing a large copy, and also do a copy rather than a move.

Could you explain what you mean by setting up an imap account for zimbra. I have about 150 accounts that need to be transferred from apple mail (imap and pop accounts).

Within Apple Mail.app you need to setup a new account / service. Choose IMAP as the type, and the server name / IP address would be the Zimbra server name or IP address. (Sorry, I don't have access to a Mac at the moment to give you the exact steps.) Then you just drag and drop, or copy and paste messages from the current folders to the Zimbra server folders. Very much a manual process, and for 150 users it will probably be pretty time consuming. However, I found it simple enough to setup the Zimbra IMAP service, show the users what to do, and then let them do the copying themselves.

Red face

I've been away from this thread but now (of course) I really need to migrate our Apple mail users to our new Zimbra server that just went live. All of our users exist on the Zimbra server. We are running IMAP only on the Zimbra server. The users on Macs are POP accounts with the mbox files residing on the Mac server.

<< Within Apple Mail.app you need to setup a new account / service. Choose IMAP as the type, and the server name / IP address would be the Zimbra server >>

Does this mean for each user? To setup a new account in mail.app that points to their existing account on the Zimbra server? Then just copy all messages/folders?

Thx for any advice/tips!

If you ran script's against any mail that was stored on apple's servers, since your downloading via pop it'll probably be in one big inbox folder.

So yes, make a new IMAP account in mail.app and copy folders to your zimbra server.

Hope you don't have a ton of people to visit individually
    Last edited by mmorse; 07-11-2007 at 08:37 AM.

Question

I have about 30 users who are on the Mac server. So make a new account in mail.app that points to their account on the zimbra server, and then drag 'n drop their POP inbox and folders to their account on the zimbra server?

If that works, it's doable for 30 users...