Page 33 of 106 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast

Thread: Z-Push Zimbra Backend (Push Email, Contacts, Appointments & Tasks)

Curious how you configured it. I tried to do it before using Quercus to run PHP but couldnt get it to work.

I'm using quercus, and as far as I can tell its working. I just don't have a way of testing it. I have a blackberry now and the activesync apps I tried didn't like the blackberry curve and crashed my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy3k View Post
    I'm using quercus, and as far as I can tell its working. I just don't have a way of testing it. I have a blackberry now and the activesync apps I tried didn't like the blackberry curve and crashed my phone.
    Does Quercus handle SOAP now? It didn't when I tried - but that was a while ago.

The basic z-push PHP index.php page would work - but as soon as I tried to do any zimbra backend call it would fail.

it appears that it does handle SOAP, but I'm by no means a programmer. I just hacked way way through it and I think I have it working...again, I don't have anything to test it against. I tried a friends droid, but I got an error that was related to the driod and he didn't have to to update it to the patch level that would have corrected the problem.

I was able to get my hands on a phone that can do active sync, but I'm unable to sync. I looked at the debug log, but nothing sticks out. I'm also able to send mail, but not receive. Any help would be great.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I did manage to set this up late on Friday and test for a little while. And - as you noted it does manage to do the backend stuff OK. The reason is not that Quercus now handles Soap - it is that the backend no longer uses SoapClient at all. It uses Curl to send the soap requests to the server.

I could get it to sync Contacts and Tasks - but not Mail or Appointments.

It appears to me it might be running out of memory or something similar - not quite sure what. It simply seems to stop synching and throws an error on the phone side. Will try to take another look at it this week if I can.

Quote Originally Posted by liverpoolfcfan View Post
    I did manage to set this up late on Friday and test for a little while. And - as you noted it does manage to do the backend stuff OK. The reason is not that Quercus now handles Soap - it is that the backend no longer uses SoapClient at all. It uses Curl to send the soap requests to the server.

I could get it to sync Contacts and Tasks - but not Mail or Appointments.

It appears to me it might be running out of memory or something similar - not quite sure what. It simply seems to stop synching and throws an error on the phone side. Will try to take another look at it this week if I can.
    let me know if there is anything that I can help with. I'm sure you know that it would be very nice if we can get this working with in jetty! I think we are on the right path.
    Last edited by speedy3k; 09-05-2010 at 09:17 PM.

Default Release 43 uploaded to SourceForge

I have just uploaded Release 43 to sourceforge (https://sourceforge.net/projects/zimbrabackend/)

There are numerous bug fixes in this release as well as a very significant enhancement to the method used for "Ping"ing folders.

It is highly recommended that this version of the backend is used with z-push 1.4 or later to get the best out of it. There is new functionality in z-push 1.4 that allows the use of an alternative mechanism for "Ping"ing folders for changes. I have implemented this functionality in the backend - and it will be used by z-push 1.4. The existing ping method should continue to work with z-push 1.3 though this is highly inefficient. If for some reason it does not work with z-push 1.3 it would be good to know that.

It is always important to initiate a full-resync after a z-push or backend update - but in this case it is even more important as the device state data stored has been changed because of this Ping update.

If you have any non-English language users you should download the z_rtf.php file from the 1.5 beta of z-push too, as this will allow decoding of RTF encoded notes fields that will otherwise get dropped from appointments/tasks/contacts. Again - in the absence of this include being available - the backend should continue to work, though in this case it should now insert warning text where it would previously have just discarded the contents entirely.

Changes Made To Revision 43:
    - Implemented the new AlterPing/AlterPingChanges method from 1.4 to reduce the number of hits on the backend for monitored folders. Operates on the basis of monitoring the i4ms flag on folders for changes
    - Added handling of RTF field in appointment/task/contact where no Body/Notes field received. Requires z_RTF.php include file from as12 branch of z-push SVN to decode the Compressed RTF stream. Issue reported by Danish language user
    - Removed multiple classes/functions that were duplicates of those in diffbackend to simplify the updating of the code to match future z-push releases. We should only declare "standard" classes/functions where we have a need to override.
    - Changed debug logging of Soap Request/Response to follow WBXML.PHP debug flag so that basic application flow debugging will not flood logs
    - Changed date selection criteria for Appointments/Tasks to use the attributes calExpandInstStart and calExpandInstEnd where Start is determined by cutoffdate or defaulted to 366 days in the past and End is arbitrarily set to 366 days in the future
    - Fixed some issues with recurring appointments on last day or named day of month. Outgoing appointments would set WeekOfMonth to -1 when ActiveSync wants a value 5. Incoming appointments would set bysetpos to 5 where zimbra wants a value -1.
    - Changed default for all folder types to recursive=true - XML will still override

In addition, I added a warning related to on-the-fly changes to user XML files.

WARNING: Before changing the content of a User's XML file, set the sync schedule to manual on the device, or remove the profile entirely. And when finished, if the profile was not first removed then request a full-resync of the client before changing back to an automatic sync schedule.
    Explanation: User files effectively fool the device into thinking that some folders on the server that the device would normally see do not exist - AND/OR - that some folders that the device would not normally see are actually available to it. As a result, changing the contents of the XML file should not be done without doing a full resync of the device. In the absence of doing this problems can occur that could lead to the loss of data on the server.
    For example - removing an include for a folder will make the device think the folder has been deleted, and will trigger a delete for the client. This delete will cause a change-in-state on the client that will trigger a parallel delete on the server on the next sync. This will then delete the real server copy of that folder which would result in the loss of data.
    Making the changes offline, followed by a full-resync eliminates this risk.

Stupid (I guess) question, but I'll post it anyway 8)

Do we _have_ to use the XML files?
    Can't we just "allow any user to access his data", in a "simple" way?

Quote Originally Posted by Klug View Post
    Stupid (I guess) question, but I'll post it anyway 8)

Do we _have_ to use the XML files?
    Can't we just "allow any user to access his data", in a "simple" way?
    Nothing stupid about the question.

You DO NOT have to use XML files. You only need to use the file if your phone does not pick up folders by itself - OR - if you want to limit the number of folders you want your phone to "see".

The default approach should probably be - don't use one unless you find you need to have one.

For "most" phones, you can just let the phone connect and sync, it will pull Calendar/Tasks/Contacts for all folders you have access to. For email, it will default to sync'ing only Inbox and Sent. If your phone has the Manage Folders capability you can subscribe to whatever other folders you care about.

I test using a HTC WM 6.5 phone and a Nokia E71 with Mail for Exchange 3.0 - and this is exactly how both behave. The Nokia does show the entire folder tree in the MfE client with unsubscribed folders having an (x) in front of the name. If I configured an XML file it would allow the phone to only see the folders I want to use - so that the entire list of (x)ed out folders does not appear. Still - I never use the file.

Grant, who added the XML file capability, was using a different phone (I think it was a Palm Pre but could be wrong) and it was not able to do the folder subscription stuff. That was the main impetus for the facility being added. The other driver was the ability to allow different devices to sync with different data.

Hopefully this clarifies it for you.