Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Funambol? z-push? which do I need?

Question Funambol? z-push? which do I need?

Having read what the forums and wiki have to say about funambol and z-push, Im left a little confused: If i want to sync email, calendar and contacts to my phone do I need Funambol and z-push (server and related clients)? or just Funambol?
    Outwardly funambol seems to be able to sync calendar, contacts and tasks (although ive read tasks arent working that well , in 6 GA at least) But theres no mention of syncing email in the funambol client.
    Similarly, z-push works brilliantly for email by utilizing the widely available Mail For Exchange, but calendar and contacts are notably absent. There is a sourceforge project to develop a complete zimbra backend for z-push, but as yet, there doesnt seem to be much activity. Attempting to develop my own z-push zimbra back end was a consideration, but with next to no developer documentation made that somewhat difficult. So I guess after all that rambling, my question really is:
    Will funambol sync email, calendar, and contacts between my phone and my zimbra server? If it did, it would be suuuuuuhhhweeeeeet.

As far as I know z-push is at present time only useful for mail. But calender is used via caldav. And there is an announcement for 6.01 (perhaps now 6.02) for a carddav server in Zimbra. So perhaps no seed for anything else.

The funambol zimbra connector works somehow. But it looks that there is no developer.

Thanks for your input, but errr...... does that mean funambol will sync email, calendar and contacts?

Yes it will if it works. There is no official running Version for Zimbra > 5.18.
    The Version here in the forum is not official. As I said there seems to be no developer for it. It could happen that with the next update it will stop again.

But give it a try.

I have z-push with BackendZimbra and it syncs mail, calendar and contacts (not tasks!) without problems to my HTC Wizard. Push-mail works great too. Mail-for-Exchange on Nokia N-series still has a few quirks to work out, though and I need to pick-pocket a Blackberry to test that too.

Using:
    - ZCS 6.0.5 FOSS Ubuntu8
    -Z-push 1.3RC2 on another Ubuntu8 box
    -BackendZimbra rev.25
    -Windows Mobile 5

My want-to-haves are:
    Run z-push on same box as Zimbra (only needs an alias in the Apache config, really!)
    Get it to work on other devices (BB, N-Series etc.)

I am a huge FOSS advocate and this helps immensely with the 'stop paying through the nose for MS software' campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by jonallport View Post
    I have z-push with BackendZimbra and it syncs mail, calendar and contacts (not tasks!) without problems to my HTC Wizard. Push-mail works great too. Mail-for-Exchange on Nokia N-series still has a few quirks to work out, though and I need to pick-pocket a Blackberry to test that too.

Using:
    - ZCS 6.0.5 FOSS Ubuntu8
    -Z-push 1.3RC2 on another Ubuntu8 box
    -BackendZimbra rev.25
    -Windows Mobile 5

My want-to-haves are:
    Run z-push on same box as Zimbra (only needs an alias in the Apache config, really!)
    Get it to work on other devices (BB, N-Series etc.)

I am a huge FOSS advocate and this helps immensely with the 'stop paying through the nose for MS software' campaign.
    So i take it Z-push doesn't work for BlackBerry ? Or you just haven't tried making it work ?

Works with BB, but you need a program like NotifySync ($) to work with ActiveSync (Z-Push)

Haven't done anything with Blackberry as I don't have any to play with. Only have Nokia N-series and Windows Mobile. Z-push mimics MS Server ActiveSync, so should(!) work with WM, Nokia (Mail for Exchange), Palm Pre, iPhone (and Android?).

I understand that BBs need additional (at cost) software for ActiveSync, so am going to try Funambol DS on the sync-server too. Will let you know how I get on.

Quote Originally Posted by n.bochev View Post
    So i take it Z-push doesn't work for BlackBerry ? Or you just haven't tried making it work ?
    I've got both a Blackberry (for work) and an HTC Eris Droid. Blackberry wants to have the BES (Enterprise server) for corporate mail sync. I've been playing with my Eris trying to get Zimbra OSS up & running, but it's still got some issues w/ that phone. I can mostly get mail synced, but calendar/contacts have been spotty for me. Given that I've got a newish phone, with a z-push backend under heavy development, I'm not entirely sure where to look at this point I suspect both just need some more time...

can anybody here help me out on the z-push implementation...
    I keep bumping in to issues... and want to start over, doing it 'the way it should' and more importantly 'the way it works' for once and for all.

Thanks for the help and explanation!