Thread: iPhone Battery Life

Hybrid View

Exclamation iPhone Battery Life

I did a search and the latest post on this was back in 2008 so I am opening a new thread.

I am trialing the network edition with the hopes to dump my hosted exchange.

I've got most of it working pretty well. The biggest problem I am having right now is that since adding my Zimbra account to my iPhone, my batter life has been at least halved. The phone is always warm to the touch. I now hae to charge it at least a couple of times per day to make it through a day.

My Zimbra version is

Release 6.0.6_GA_2330.RHEL5_64_20100505193959 CentOS5_64 NETWORK edition.

Is there some setting somewhere that I can tweak to make this problem go away? I've removed and readded the account several times. This never happened when it was tied to my exchange account.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

if using the Exchagne Active Sync, turn off push emails and change it to checking every 15 minutes or more. Also swapping it to IMAP does the same. Push keeps a nearly constant data stream going and uses battery like crazy.
    Culley
    Mail | Dell 2950III | 2x Quad Core 5420 | 8gb RAM | 6x 146gb SAS RAID 0+1 | Red Hat 5.3 | Zimbra 6.0.10 Network Edition
    Test | VMware ESXi Whitebox | Phenom II Black 3.2ghz | 12gb RAM | 6x 1tb SATA RAID 0+1 | CentOS 5.4 | FOSS, Not in use now

Is there a reason that push works fine for exchange, but not for Zimbra? I really have come to rely on my push functionality and this will probably have to go into the evaluation equation if I want to fully switch things over.

Quote Originally Posted by greenot View Post
    Is there a reason that push works fine for exchange, but not for Zimbra? I really have come to rely on my push functionality and this will probably have to go into the evaluation equation if I want to fully switch things over.
    I'd reexamine the possibility that when you switched from exchange to zimbra, you chose different push settings.

Here's Microsoft's page on Direct Push: Understanding Direct Push: Exchange 2007 Help. Basically, Direct Push opens a new connection with Exchange every 15 minutes and that connection must stay open in order for Exchange to be able to tell the device about anything that changes in the interim. Opening a new connection is a called a "ping" (not to be confused with icmp ping). Should anything new arrive in the 15 minute interval, Exchange prompts the client to download it, and then the client then issues a new ping.

What this means is that if a device isn't receiving any data, it should be issuing a new ping every 15 minutes. If it does receive data, it will issue new pings more frequently.

In fact you can observe this activity. Just do

grep \=Ping$ /opt/zimbra/log/sync.log > ping.log

to capture all recent pings into ping.log. Then if you want to see the activity for a particular user, do

grep <username> ping.log

When I did this I saw, not too surprisingly, long ping intervals in the middle of the night, and shorter ones during the day.

On top of all this, since ping is a "long-lived https request", I would surmise that it requires the device to stay on and maintain its IP connection (and therefore its wireless connection) continuously in order for it to be able to accept the response from the server.

In short I can't really see anything from the server side that would make battery life shorter with Zimbra than Exchange.

There was a bug back in 5.0.7-ish ZCS that was fixed in 5.0.9, discussed in http://www.zimbra.com/forums/zimbra-...g-29903-a.html and Bug 29903 &ndash; iPhone 2.0 Zimbra <-> ActiveSync Push Mail Does Not Put Phone into Standby Mode, Consuming Battery Quickly

But I think that bug (or something like it) would show up very clearly in the sync.log--as described, I believe it would show that each device was sending a large number of pings over a short interval. As I wrote above, when I look in sync.log, I see varying intervals between pings--from several pings in a minute, to one ping every 20+ minutes.

I greatly appreciate your detailed response and help.

Default Push and battery life

I would like to know this as well. The executives here were I work have become very dependent on the 'push' feature but they are also complaining of battery life.

I have my iPhone using push while sync'd to Google and IMAP to Zimbra since we can only hve one Exchange sync currently. With moderate usage, I get 2-3 days out of a single charge commonly. With heavy usage I'll charge it for a bit at my desk or in the car.

One of the main things is to turn off wifi an bluetooth if not being used. Apple says you can turn off Location Services also, but that will kill off the GPS and I use that frequently.
    Culley
    Mail | Dell 2950III | 2x Quad Core 5420 | 8gb RAM | 6x 146gb SAS RAID 0+1 | Red Hat 5.3 | Zimbra 6.0.10 Network Edition
    Test | VMware ESXi Whitebox | Phenom II Black 3.2ghz | 12gb RAM | 6x 1tb SATA RAID 0+1 | CentOS 5.4 | FOSS, Not in use now