Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: iPhone IOS 4 and CardDAV

Well, it seems that I can't even verify the account now With or without SSL. Strange. No matter what I do I keep getting "CardDAV account verification failed".

Ugh.

Well I seem to have it working too but it appears the following are important:

1. Create a DNS SRV record for your domain for CardDAV (for auto-discovery), e.g.:

Code:
    ;; ANSWER SECTION:
    _carddav._tcp.mail.domain.net. 14400 IN SRV 10 10 443 mail.domain.net.
    The first part _carddav._tcp. will always be the same, then add your (sub)domain after.
    TTL is 14400.
    IN SRV for an SRV record.
    10 and 10 are the priority and weight (like in an MX record with weight being like a sub-priority).
    443 is the port.
    mail.domain.net. is the CardDAV server URL.

2. Create a new folder for your contacts in the root directory, e.g. I called mine 'iPhone' at the same level as the existing 'Emailed Contacts' and 'Contacts' folders.

I had trouble when using the existing folders as it only sync'd one-way and contacts created via Zimbra webmail would not sync at all. So far, syncing and creating contacts in the 'iPhone' folder works both ways.

When configuring the iPhone 4 for CardDAV, I add the port to the server address as i'm using a non-standard port (not 443), e.g. mail.domain.net:40443.

The iPhone 4 is quite happy with a username containing the '@' symbol whereas the Apple Address Book is not. To get around this I had to add a Virtual Host to the domain configuration so I could drop the '@domain.net' part of the username - now Apple Address Book works to the point where it's happy with the credentials but I don't see ANY contacts or folders... oh well...

Info came from here: Using dnsmasq to add SRV records for CardDAV and CalDAV | andrew.mcmillan.net.nz

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by nix; 09-14-2010 at 10:23 AM.

Thanks! Worked a treat. Except now, it's downloading EVERYTHING. Emailed contacts and all. Is there any way to exclude folders that you know of?

Great Work! I just tested CardDAV with iPhone OS 4.1. Like samgreco I can see all Folders including "Contacts" and "E-Mailed Contacts".

Well, I am still only getting updates from Zimbra to the iPhone. Not the other way. There is obviously something not right about my setup.

Any clues anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by FritzBrause View Post
    Great Work! I just tested CardDAV with iPhone OS 4.1. Like samgreco I can see all Folders including "Contacts" and "E-Mailed Contacts".
    Where do you see all those folders? In the mail app?

I've deleted all contacts from both the 'Emailed Contacts' and 'Contacts' folders and only use the created 'iPhone' folder... Then on the iPhone, I choose to only view the 'iPhone' folder, even though the others are available when going back to 'Groups'... Correct me if i'm wrong but I seem to remember having contacts in either of the two default folders would partially break things (hence getting rid of them all).

I just created/updated two contacts - one from Zimbra Web interface and one from iPhone 4 and they sync'd both ways correctly... The update from iPhone->Zimbra seems faster than the update from Zimbra->iPhone...

Quote Originally Posted by Tripple View Post
    Where do you see all those folders? In the mail app?
    In Contacts - (upper left corner) selecting Groups you'll find all addressbook- accounts and their folders.

Quote Originally Posted by nix View Post
    I've deleted all contacts from both the 'Emailed Contacts' and 'Contacts' folders and only use the created 'iPhone' folder... Then on the iPhone, I choose to only view the 'iPhone' folder, even though the others are available when going back to 'Groups'... Correct me if i'm wrong but I seem to remember having contacts in either of the two default folders would partially break things (hence getting rid of them all).
    Seems to work fine with OS 4.1 even with default folders. Just added another Folder an it appears in the iPhone listing too (after a while). Tested with iPhone 3G and IOS 4.1.

I just created/updated two contacts - one from Zimbra Web interface and one from iPhone 4 and they sync'd both ways correctly... The update from iPhone->Zimbra seems faster than the update from Zimbra->iPhone...
    Same here.

Well I seem to have it working too but it appears the following are important:

1. Create a DNS SRV record for your domain for CardDAV (for auto-discovery), e.g.:

Code:
    ;; ANSWER SECTION:
    _carddav._tcp.mail.domain.net. 14400 IN SRV 10 10 443 mail.domain.net.
    I don't know if this a big coincidence or not: Along with the release of iPhone OS 4.1 Apple has filed an RFC describing their method of handling CardDAV:
    draft-daboo-srv-caldav-09 - Locating CalDAV and CardDAV services