Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: iPhone IOS 4 and CardDAV

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Villa Park, IL
    Posts
    92
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Well, it seems that I can't even verify the account now With or without SSL. Strange. No matter what I do I keep getting "CardDAV account verification failed".

    Ugh.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Well I seem to have it working too but it appears the following are important:

    1. Create a DNS SRV record for your domain for CardDAV (for auto-discovery), e.g.:

    Code:
    ;; ANSWER SECTION:
    _carddav._tcp.mail.domain.net. 14400 IN SRV 10 10 443 mail.domain.net.
    The first part _carddav._tcp. will always be the same, then add your (sub)domain after.
    TTL is 14400.
    IN SRV for an SRV record.
    10 and 10 are the priority and weight (like in an MX record with weight being like a sub-priority).
    443 is the port.
    mail.domain.net. is the CardDAV server URL.

    2. Create a new folder for your contacts in the root directory, e.g. I called mine 'iPhone' at the same level as the existing 'Emailed Contacts' and 'Contacts' folders.

    I had trouble when using the existing folders as it only sync'd one-way and contacts created via Zimbra webmail would not sync at all. So far, syncing and creating contacts in the 'iPhone' folder works both ways.

    When configuring the iPhone 4 for CardDAV, I add the port to the server address as i'm using a non-standard port (not 443), e.g. mail.domain.net:40443.

    The iPhone 4 is quite happy with a username containing the '@' symbol whereas the Apple Address Book is not. To get around this I had to add a Virtual Host to the domain configuration so I could drop the '@domain.net' part of the username - now Apple Address Book works to the point where it's happy with the credentials but I don't see ANY contacts or folders... oh well...

    Info came from here: Using dnsmasq to add SRV records for CardDAV and CalDAV | andrew.mcmillan.net.nz

    Hope that helps.
    Last edited by nix; 09-14-2010 at 10:23 AM.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Villa Park, IL
    Posts
    92
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Thanks! Worked a treat. Except now, it's downloading EVERYTHING. Emailed contacts and all. Is there any way to exclude folders that you know of?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    203
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Great Work! I just tested CardDAV with iPhone OS 4.1. Like samgreco I can see all Folders including "Contacts" and "E-Mailed Contacts".

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Villa Park, IL
    Posts
    92
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Well, I am still only getting updates from Zimbra to the iPhone. Not the other way. There is obviously something not right about my setup.

    Any clues anyone?

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    304
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FritzBrause View Post
    Great Work! I just tested CardDAV with iPhone OS 4.1. Like samgreco I can see all Folders including "Contacts" and "E-Mailed Contacts".
    Where do you see all those folders? In the mail app?

  7. #17
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    I've deleted all contacts from both the 'Emailed Contacts' and 'Contacts' folders and only use the created 'iPhone' folder... Then on the iPhone, I choose to only view the 'iPhone' folder, even though the others are available when going back to 'Groups'... Correct me if i'm wrong but I seem to remember having contacts in either of the two default folders would partially break things (hence getting rid of them all).

    I just created/updated two contacts - one from Zimbra Web interface and one from iPhone 4 and they sync'd both ways correctly... The update from iPhone->Zimbra seems faster than the update from Zimbra->iPhone...

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    203
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tripple View Post
    Where do you see all those folders? In the mail app?
    In Contacts - (upper left corner) selecting Groups you'll find all addressbook- accounts and their folders.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    203
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nix View Post
    I've deleted all contacts from both the 'Emailed Contacts' and 'Contacts' folders and only use the created 'iPhone' folder... Then on the iPhone, I choose to only view the 'iPhone' folder, even though the others are available when going back to 'Groups'... Correct me if i'm wrong but I seem to remember having contacts in either of the two default folders would partially break things (hence getting rid of them all).
    Seems to work fine with OS 4.1 even with default folders. Just added another Folder an it appears in the iPhone listing too (after a while). Tested with iPhone 3G and IOS 4.1.

    Quote Originally Posted by nix View Post
    I just created/updated two contacts - one from Zimbra Web interface and one from iPhone 4 and they sync'd both ways correctly... The update from iPhone->Zimbra seems faster than the update from Zimbra->iPhone...
    Same here.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    203
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nix View Post
    Well I seem to have it working too but it appears the following are important:

    1. Create a DNS SRV record for your domain for CardDAV (for auto-discovery), e.g.:

    Code:
    ;; ANSWER SECTION:
    _carddav._tcp.mail.domain.net. 14400 IN SRV 10 10 443 mail.domain.net.
    I don't know if this a big coincidence or not: Along with the release of iPhone OS 4.1 Apple has filed an RFC describing their method of handling CardDAV:
    draft-daboo-srv-caldav-09 - Locating CalDAV and CardDAV services

Similar Threads

  1. [SOLVED] 6.0.2 is out.. CardDAV on Snow Leopard update?
    By chewitt in forum Administrators
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-05-2012, 04:16 PM
  2. ZCS 6.07 and Apple Addressbook Carddav
    By tkramis in forum Administrators
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-20-2011, 10:18 AM
  3. How can I test Zimbra's CardDAV feature
    By johnbill in forum Developers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-22-2010, 08:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •