Android HTC exchange contact sync disaster - data loss warning!
I am using an HTC phone (Desire) running Android 2.2 with HTC Sense (Desire HD latest edition) on top, syncing with Zimbra network edition 6.07.
I am losing data when syncing contacts, and wanted to warn others, and seek a solution.
I am not sure if the syncing issues explained are caused by Androids activesync or HTC's own particular syncing. I suspect Android has problems (for example with multiple fields) and HTC has added further problems.
Can people syncing with Android *without* HTC Sense confirm if the same issues occur? You could create a test contact in your Zimbra account with multiple 'problem' fields and see what is synced to your phone, and if any data is lost or amended from the contact in your original account.
1) If a contact has only a company name (no first or last name) then the device takes the company name and converts it into a 'first' 'middle' and'last' name fields. The company name field is unchanged, and is visible on the device but not searchable or sortable-by. The device only sorts by First and Last name. The middle name is not visible on the device (unless editing contact).
2) Upon syncing with the device, any data in the home or work website fields is lost from Zimbra, but is replaced by websites entered on the device.
3) Upon syncing with the device, any data in the 'other' phone number field is lost from Zimbra.
4) Upon syncing with the device, any data in the anniversary field is lost from Zimbra.
5) Upon syncing with the device, any more than three email addresses are removed from Zimbra.
6) Upon syncing with the device, any more than three (?) IM addresses are removed from Zimbra.
7) [untested] Upon syncing with the device, are any more than three entries in the phone or mobile fields removed from Zimbra?
8) Missing fields
The device does not display the following fields:
'Other' phone field
Company name as 'file-as'
Work website field
Home website field
Middle name field
Maiden name field
I'm trying to recover my contacts, and have a previous backup.
However, of course, Zimbra contacts import/export to CSV still doesn't include:
Tags or photographs :( grrrr!