Thread: iphone 4 + zimbra 7 + caldav: problem with shared calender

Hybrid View

Default iphone 4 + zimbra 7 + caldav: problem with shared calender

hi,

today i test the new zimbra 7 release and check all important parts so that i can upgrade the productive server from the old 6.* release.
    nearly all functions worked but i have problems with syncing a shared calendar folder to an iphone 4 with ios 4.3.1 via caldav.
    on the old server i had no problems but on the new one i see only my folders but not the shared ones.
    i found a bug that described a another problem but it seems the guy get the iphone to show the shared folder (Bug 60292 – Appointment cannot be modified of shared calendar from iphone caldav)

test environment:
    - freh zimbra 7.0.1 on 64bit centos
    - then upgraded it today to 7.1 (Release 7.1.0_GA_3140.RHEL5_64_20110329150833 CentOS5_64 FOSS edition.)
    - iphone 4 with ios 4.3.1

what worked:
    - i can see my calendar folders
    - i see the shared calendar folder via zwc and i can add/remove and change appointments

what doesn't work:
    - i can't see the shared folder from an second account on my iphone

does it work on the productive machine.
    - yes there i have the following zimbra (Release 6.0.12_GA_2883.RHEL5_64_20110306010832 CentOS5_64 FOSS edition.)
    - and i have there i used the same iphone without any problem

i hope that somebody can help.

greetings from austria
    gregor

I am experiencing the same issue here with Zimbra 7.0.1 on 32bit Ubuntu 8.04, and iOS 4.3.1.

I have found a (clumsy) workaround - if I create a folder on my account with the name of the shared address book I want to accept, the folder appears on the phone. If I then delete the address book, then accept an address book share, giving it the exact name of the deleted temporary address book, it will then sync to the phone.

Of course this is way too clumsy a workaround to implement on anything other than a very small scale.

i tried your workaround but it doesn't work for me.

steps:
    - deleted shared folder from zwc
    - create a folder called "shared"
    - now configure the iphone and i see the new not shared folder called "shared"
    - now i delete this folder from zwc + also from trash
    - accept the mail from the share again and mount it to the name "shared"
    - under zwc i see the shared folder with the entries
    - on my iphone i go to the home screen and tap the calendar app
    - now the iphone calendar resync, i doesn't see the entries and under the calendar overview the "shared" folder are gone

can you please check the steps maybe i do it in another way then you did it.

greetings
    gregor

I also have push notifications off and make sure the Phone and Calendar iPhoneapplications are not running when I move folders around in ZWC, so it doesn't sync in-between me deleting the temporary folder and restoring the shared one.

Also, I've found you don't have to delete the shared contacts folder. You can move it to another location inside another folder, then create a regular folder with the same name, sync to iPhone, kill the iPhone phone and calendar apps, then delete the folder and move the original shared folder back into place.

There were a couple of folders that I had to do this twice, there must be a race somewhere.

Hope this helps.

hi,

i solved to problem with a hint from the bugentry.
    under zwc. disable the apple caldav delegation.
    ZWC->Preferences->Calendar

thanks to mario lo.
    now i see all folders like on the productive server

greetings
    gregor

Sorry I just realised we were talking across purposes (my fault!) FWIW, the issue and workaround I described above apply to shared address books, not calendars.

Sorry for any confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by awnz View Post
    Sorry I just realised we were talking across purposes (my fault!) FWIW, the issue and workaround I described above apply to shared address books, not calendars.

Sorry for any confusion.
    how do you sync your contacts and shared contact folders?

greetings
    gregor

Hi Gregor, not sure how to answer your question without knowing in what context you mean.

Generally speaking, the iPhone syncs with Zimbra over the air using CalDAV but getting it initially set up for *shared* address book folders is a bit buggy as described above.

edit: do you mean getting your contacts from the iPhone to Zimbra? I never manually filled in my contacts on my iPhone itself, I've used contacts imported from Zimbra from the day I got it, having started syncing them between Zimbra and my old Nokia N81 then N97 years ago (using Funambol at the time).

When my wife bought her iPhone the other day, we manually copied her contacts list from her old phone into Zimbra, setting up shared groups at the time, then synchronised that list to her iPhone.

i used funambol the last years but with the new funambol release it doesn't work well. then i found z-push with the zimbra backend and it sync all contacts including the shared contacts.

greetings
    gregor