Thread: ZCS 8 Open Source Edition + Z Push 2

Question ZCS 8 Open Source Edition + Z Push 2

Hello All,

I have a few queries regarding ZPUSH2 and ZIMBRA-8-Opensource Edition
    1> Is it possible to setup Z Push2 Properly with Zimbra 8 OE
    2> Does outlook 2003,2007,2010 & 2013 Sync Directly without any hacks / tricks
    (asking because i have many novice users in my organization)
    3> Do all Currently popular Mobile Devices (Android / Win.phn / iOS) sync completely ? or do they need extra apps to sync?
    3.1> if they do ! is it possible to sync multiple accounts with them ?
    4> if i use Z Push2; will multiple / different Zimbra accounts(diff. domains) be able to sync calendar, tasks, contacts and mail ?

I am really sorry as i think this is the wrong place form these questions but i don't know where exactly to ask them !

Quote Originally Posted by exits2013 View Post
    Hello All,

I have a few queries regarding ZPUSH2 and ZIMBRA-8-Opensource Edition
    1> Is it possible to setup Z Push2 Properly with Zimbra 8 OE
    I think it is but you need to do some work

2> Does outlook 2003,2007,2010 & 2013 Sync Directly without any hacks / tricks
    (asking because i have many novice users in my organization)
    NO, Outlook use a MAPI protocol, only outlook 2013 use the Activesync... (I don't know if it works with Zpush)

3> Do all Currently popular Mobile Devices (Android / Win.phn / iOS) sync completely ? or do they need extra apps to sync?
    Nobody knows wich device work with this scriot, you have to test it yourself of find someone who did it before.

3.1> if they do ! is it possible to sync multiple accounts with them ?
    I think so

4> if i use Z Push2; will multiple / different Zimbra accounts(diff. domains) be able to sync calendar, tasks, contacts and mail ?
    Depends on your configuration...

I am really sorry as i think this is the wrong place form these questions but i don't know where exactly to ask them !
    Have you ever tried other Activesync solution?
    Zpush is a PHP script... if you have to use it on a production server be very careful.

Bye.
    Marc
    Last edited by marcbross; 05-25-2013 at 11:24 AM. Reason: quote

1. No outlook cannot be synced as marcbross already said, outlook2013 works however it works aweful
    because of the limitations of the activesync protocoll all you calenders, adressbooks and tasklist will be synced down to one list

so making multile caledar or adressbooks in outllok wont work

Also to get outlook 2013 to work with ANY activesync solution (no matter which) you need a trick - youve to setup the account - klick on next and when the message apears it cannot communiicate with the server you have to kill the outlook task - it will work then
    reason is microsoft checks after adding your accoutn credentials if the server is an outlook24.com server - if not it will deny the creation. if you shoot it down after that message your credentials are still there.

however you cannot secify any folder (which to sync with what) and sent items and trash are different so you get a few folders additionally to the zimbra system folders.

at the end i would say no it doenst really work with outlook2013

2. Yes you can have as many domains and accounts you wanna have even on mutiple zimbra servers
    however if you got many mobileusers youll get a lot of additionally load on the zimbra host

3. i would whenever is possible recommend to use caldav / webdav) carddav instead of activesync
    it works better has more features, are open protocolls, generate way less load than activesync - however you dont have push service there

the push service in zspush isnt a real push service anyway - you can set the forced to check intervalls to reduce the load - normaly its not real push but something like within a minute

However zimbras built solution in NE isnt much better either
    The Mainissue are the Mobiledevices and the poor activesync protocoll
    it just sucks, period. you got 10 different adroinds, a few fruits, a few nokias - well good luck then
    every dam device will work differently, sometimes a device simply stops and need a complete factory wipe (not zpush fault, its the phone)
    sometimes they simply need complete remove of the account and readd
    sometimes they simply dont work
    sometimes they work perfectly without a flaw

also keep in mind depedning on the phones software you cannot sync every adressbook field. fields are know to zimbra dont have to be nessesarly be known to the phone
    in best case those field simply dont get a sync worst case the hole field is getting dropped (should happen with latest beta of zpush and latest zimbrabackend)

can you use zpush in production?
    well it depends, i would suggest make a testdrive with a few accounts and extend, whatch and monitor, and then keep extending.
    however it can produce a lot of load and i strongly recommend - get as much device you can on caldav and carddav / imap
    the rest use mobilesync