Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: MS offering to buy Yahoo ???

Microsoft is even talking about letting Yahoo run MSN.

Ballmer is no fool. Even if they were to buy Yahoo outright, he has no intention of killing the Yahoo culture. He is smart enough to recognize when something works. I believe he even like what he has seen in Zimbra.

Quote Originally Posted by gmsmith View Post
    what do you want them to "address?" the possibility of someone perhaps maybe considering to attempt to oust the Yahoo board?
    It'd be like a scene from a bad 80's movie where a group gets a bunch of guns and goes after someone. Everyone piles into the old Monte Carlo and goes over to Ichan's place, kidnaps him, but since it's a cheesy movie, they're not allowed to hurt him. Hilarity ensues, and at the end everything works out and the gang gets to keep Zimbra and the amusement park.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Brock View Post
    I believe he even like what he has seen in Zimbra.
    What makes you say that?

Quote Originally Posted by gmsmith View Post
    *speaking as Greg the Zimbra user, not moderator*

Seriously dude, what do you want them to "address?" the possibility of someone perhaps maybe considering to attempt to oust the Yahoo board? Really come on...

Personally I would rather keep folks working on the mission to change messaging and collaboration.
    You're kidding, right? It's getting pretty obvious that at some point Yahoo could be taken over by MS. If so, Zimbra's a goner. It doesn't matter how good it is (in fact, the better it is, the bigger threat it is to MS's existing products). What I want - is that while Yahoo is still in control, they fix the dang license! At least get that attribution clause out of there. We've been given far more chances (and time) than any analysts expected. The Zimbra guys shouldn't push their luck. Every time this deal looks like it's gone away, it comes back. It's like the night of the living dead. All this has taught us one thing - FIX THE LICENSE. Even if we luck out on this latest round.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Brock View Post
    Microsoft is even talking about letting Yahoo run MSN.

Ballmer is no fool. Even if they were to buy Yahoo outright, he has no intention of killing the Yahoo culture. He is smart enough to recognize when something works. I believe he even like what he has seen in Zimbra.
    What? Zimbra is a DIRECT competitor to Exchange And it's small enough in his eyes to simply pull the plug.

If M$ buys yahoo, it's the end of zimbra...

My .02..

Default My License will expire on July 09 and

since July 1 is the shareholder's meeting crappy (something like that) it will be enough time to see what will happen. We may not renew our 300 user licenses

If M$ take over (They will) and no license nothing changed on Zimbra's side, we will probably DOWNGRADE our Zimbra NE to the OSS version.

But I see the Zimbra's engineers forking Zimbra and creating a new collaboration system if they are "invited" to work for a "new Exhange Server".

Good luck to Yahoo and Zimbra!

Well with the latest news floating out there it sounds like Yahoo! might get broken up and sold off piecemeal. MS getting the search and advertising biz and who knows who will get the mail components. I still maintain Zimbra should have courted someone like RedHat instead of Yahoo! I have no vested interest in RedHat, I'm a SuSE user, but I can see value in having a desirable mail application in your lineup to compete with SuSE/Groupwise and MS/Exhcange. Maybe RedHat or some other linux distributor will buy the remaining mail services, but I doubt MS will let it go at that. especially when it has the chance to kill off a competing platform. I think MS will end up getting all of Yahoo! and at the price they wanted in the beginning.

If Zimbra COULD fix the license I think they would have done so by now. Something is preventing them since there isn't any real reason to keep it the way it is. It's not like they would be giving away the farm since the NE code contains the extra goodies. If Zimbra did somehow manage to survive and the FOSS license had been changed and the FOSS community had forked a new version, Zimbra still has all of the goodies, support, licenses and key programmers to continue making it the best version.

Quote Originally Posted by flavio View Post
    since July 1 is the shareholder's meeting crappy (something like that) it will be enough time to see what will happen. We may not renew our 300 user licenses

If M$ take over (They will) and no license nothing changed on Zimbra's side, we will probably DOWNGRADE our Zimbra NE to the OSS version.

But I see the Zimbra's engineers forking Zimbra and creating a new collaboration system if they are "invited" to work for a "new Exhange Server".

Good luck to Yahoo and Zimbra!
    Apparently, you haven't read the whole thread. The problem is that they CAN'T fork it the way the license is currently. The license requires the Zimbra logo be used, and if MS owns the logo, they can prevent anybody from using/forking it. The OSS license they use is not like the GPL. If they switched it to GPL, then people wouldn't be worrying because forking would be possible.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by meltingrobot View Post
    Apparently, you haven't read the whole thread. The problem is that they CAN'T fork it the way the license is currently. The license requires the Zimbra logo be used, and if MS owns the logo, they can prevent anybody from using/forking it. The OSS license they use is not like the GPL. If they switched it to GPL, then people wouldn't be worrying because forking would be possible.
    II think you need to re-read the thread again, specifically this post from dkarp (note the link he's posted).
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.