Thread: Wrong Installation Folder

Default Wrong Installation Folder

Zimbra installs by default to the wrong installation folder in Windows. The Documents and Settings/Users folders is for user specific data components of programs and data, not for installs. Yes, I know I can change that, but the typical user will not.

This is a red flag to experienced users that the coders do not understand the platform they are writing to, and when I use this app that is exactly the reaction I have. That separation is there for a good reason. Yes, I realize other OSes do write all their programs exclusively to the users home directory, but Windows got it dead on right by putting program installs in one place, and user data in another. If the app coders aren't willing to take a platform seriously, why should I bother keeping that app around? Especially when there are better performing options that do put that thought into their app?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You posted that comment in the wrong forum, it should be in the Desktop forums not ZCS forums. I'll move it for you.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

I can assure you this is not a sloppy practice (we do have those occasionally, but not this one). Using user home directory as default installation path is a stopgap solution for protecting user data on any shared computer. We just don't have the resource to work on separation of program files and data files yet, but protecting user data can't wait.

Since we currently don't allow multiple installations on a single machine, this should not be a big problem. Once we start supporting multiple installation instances on single machine (which is on the road map), we will definitely separate program files and user data.

By the way, ZD is not the only app that is putting everything under user home on Windows. There are other popular apps are doing exactly the same. (of course, that does not mean we won't fix it down the road).

Quote Originally Posted by Banzai51 View Post
    Zimbra installs by default to the wrong installation folder in Windows. The Documents and Settings/Users folders is for user specific data components of programs and data, not for installs. Yes, I know I can change that, but the typical user will not.

This is a red flag to experienced users that the coders do not understand the platform they are writing to, and when I use this app that is exactly the reaction I have. That separation is there for a good reason. Yes, I realize other OSes do write all their programs exclusively to the users home directory, but Windows got it dead on right by putting program installs in one place, and user data in another. If the app coders aren't willing to take a platform seriously, why should I bother keeping that app around? Especially when there are better performing options that do put that thought into their app?

How long until multiple installs on a single machine is allowed? This is essential for me.

lt's included in the coming major zd release. Can't tell the exact date yet, but should be this quarter.

Good news.