Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HELIX 7.1.1 ported to FreeBSD

Quote Originally Posted by Derzelis View Post
    Hi Solko ,
    We need to patch and update regurarly the Zimbra releases for FreeBsd.
    Up to now , the method described here Zimbra on FreeBSD - Zimbra :: Wiki worked up to 714 with minor tweakings (jail settings).
    We are confused by 720 approach. Our uole is understanding is that the patch has been merged into the sourcecode , and the whole is available for downlaoding.
    This is great for people willing to install , but not good for people willing to compile the code .
    Would it be possible to put the patch for 720 just as it was the case for previous versions (separate from zimbra source code) ?
    Like this , more people could contribute if needed.

Some remarks concerning 7.2.0_GA_2678 :
    - on freebsd9-current , nginx fail to compile
    - if we install the precompiled version several perl packages are still needed postinstall (mainly for amavis ) p5-Convert-UUlib , p5-HTML-Parser , p5-NetAddr-IP , p5-Crypt-OpenSSL-RSA , p5-IO-Compress , p5-Unix-Syslog
    Derzelis,

unfortunately, it's not my fault that zimbra team loves to complicate things every now and then (hey, we should be happy for FOSS). patch itself allows the source code to compile, however, one needs to put OTHER files into the source tree so that the compilation actually works. it can get very tedious for a normal user (me included) to keep track of all the little changes and providing only 'a patch' would raise a lot of questions 'if indeed zimbra can run on freebsd' (since the patch would not be enough). i had faith that one day zimbra team would incorporate all the little changes and provide automagical experimental support for freebsd out of the box - which is obviously not going to happen (just to note: i don't blame them and i completely understand).
    this was not an easy decision to make but it works :-).
    since the start of the project i have not received many 'zimbra runs great on freebsd' comfirmations and despite my efforts noone ever really tried to contribute with the patching (and i really tried to make it very simple). that alone *almost* made me switch my freebsd-zimbras to linux-zimbras. the lack of interest. and i have to state that in 12 years i had one linux server. i am stubborn.

what exactly do you need nginx for in FOSS edition? in any case freebsd9-current.. is.. well.. current. it's not zimbra related. it's nginx and/or freebsd related. it should be trivial to find the cause of compilation failure - have you checked?
    as for the installation. i have compiled/installed the same version for our university mail server and everything works just great. it was a clean install.
    i am sorry but i fail to understand how exactly can 'p5-Crypt-OpenSSL-RSA' (and others) be missing in 'precompiled' version since it's a *core* component:
    Code:
    pkg_info -L zimbra-core-7.2.0_GA_2678.FreeBSD_amd64.tbz | grep RSA
    //opt/zimbra/zimbramon/lib/5.12.4/man/man3/Crypt::OpenSSL::RSA.3
    //opt/zimbra/zimbramon/lib/amd64-freebsd/auto/Crypt/OpenSSL/RSA/RSA.so
    //opt/zimbra/zimbramon/lib/amd64-freebsd/auto/Crypt/OpenSSL/RSA/new_public_key.al
    //opt/zimbra/zimbramon/lib/amd64-freebsd/auto/Crypt/OpenSSL/RSA/import_random_seed.al
    //opt/zimbra/zimbramon/lib/amd64-freebsd/auto/Crypt/OpenSSL/RSA/RSA.bs
    //opt/zimbra/zimbramon/lib/amd64-freebsd/auto/Crypt/OpenSSL/RSA/autosplit.ix
    //opt/zimbra/zimbramon/lib/amd64-freebsd/auto/Crypt/OpenSSL/RSA/get_key_parameters.al
    //opt/zimbra/zimbramon/lib/amd64-freebsd/auto/Crypt/OpenSSL/RSA/.packlist
    //opt/zimbra/zimbramon/lib/amd64-freebsd/auto/Crypt/OpenSSL/RSA/new_key_from_parameters.al
    please, bear in mind that i am not a zimbra-guru. i am actually following my own HOWTO's when patching for new versions :-).
    also, please, bear in mind that zimbra is a fairly complex suite of software and it's not possible for me to satisfy everyone.

as for the patch, i can provide you with the exact unpatched and patched source. feel free to extract the data yourself.

in any case, i will try to help as much as i can. please, contact, me on skype. it would be amazing if you could provide the community with new patches (since you stated that you do updates regularly).

thanks for the input!

I am running this helix/freebsd combo. I intend to zimbra server to virtualization server. Do you have any hints or precautions on moving Zimbra server from FreeBSD to Ubuntu/Debian?

Quote Originally Posted by noan View Post
    I am running this helix/freebsd combo. I intend to zimbra server to virtualization server. Do you have any hints or precautions on moving Zimbra server from FreeBSD to Ubuntu/Debian?
    nothing i am aware of, no. it's basically the same (the data).