Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Zimbra Install Problem - getDirectContext

Default When I re-installed

I got some exception errors on the following. What would cuase this to happen.

Adding mailhost.bhburgis.com to zimbraMailHostPool in default COS
    ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: getDirectContext) (cause: javax.naming.CommunicationException mailhost.bhburgis.com:389)
    ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: getDirectContext) (cause: javax.naming.CommunicationException mailhost.bhburgis.com:389)

Quote Originally Posted by bburgis

Look at this thread http://www.zimbra.com/forums/showthr...tdirectcontext

I had solved the same problem there

Quote Originally Posted by bburgis

Not sure about RHEL but with FC3 I had to install bind-libs to fix this error

I tried the fix suggested in the previous post but it did not work.

Background:

I have my zimbra server connected to the internet via a broadband cable connection. I am using dynamic dns to provide the ip address used by my isp. I have a static ip address on my server set to 192.168.2.104. I have a registered domain name, "bhburgis.com" and cname, "mailhost.bhburgis.com". My mx record is "10bhburgis.com". My host name is "mailhost.bhburgis.com". I think all my problems may be due to the dynamic addressing. However, I hope it isn't but if it is I hope someone can suggest a workaround. I really like this product and would definitely buy it. Again. Thanks for all the great help and suggestions so far.

I was able to install the product and able to send mail to the outside world by renaming my host to "mailhost"

palcing the following line in the /etc/hosts file:

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost mailhost.bhburgis.com mailhost

Plase advise. Thanks.

Default ldap problems?

bburgis:

Is ldap running? ps auxww | grep slapd. If it's not, start it (su - zimbra, ldap start) and look for errors.

Default Success - Kind of???

I was also getting the getDirectConext error no matter what I did. I tried fresh installs of FC3 and FC4 with exactly the same results. I was about to give up when I decided to see if I could make it an intranet email option. So, instead of a domain name, I just use the server's static IP address. The server is behind a router (if that matters).

Running: Fedora Core 4 with Zimbra M2

Hostname returns: mail
    zmhostname returns: 192.168.1.157

/etc/hosts:
    127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    192.168.1.157 mail.192.168.1.157 mail

I set the all domains in the setup to 192.168.1.157. I have a DNS server (different system) running behind the router also. I guess I don't understand why it works with the IP but not my domain name??? The server with zimbra running on it resolves all domain names just fine including my registered domain name. Any ideas???

Quote Originally Posted by RyecoAaron
    I was also getting the getDirectConext error no matter what I did. I tried fresh installs of FC3 and FC4 with exactly the same results. I was about to give up when I decided to see if I could make it an intranet email option. So, instead of a domain name, I just use the server's static IP address. The server is behind a router (if that matters).

Running: Fedora Core 4 with Zimbra M2

Hostname returns: mail
    zmhostname returns: 192.168.1.157

/etc/hosts:
    192.168.1.157 mail.192.168.1.157 mail

I set the all domains in the setup to 192.168.1.157. I have a DNS server (different system) running behind the router also. I guess I don't understand why it works with the IP but not my domain name??? The server with zimbra running on it resolves all domain names just fine including my registered domain name. Any ideas???

You might get better results using a hostname and not your IP as your hostname. So your /etc/hosts would look like

/etc/hosts:
    192.168.1.157 mail.example.com mail

Where example.com is your domain name. It's not normal to use your IP as your domain name.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    You might get better results using a hostname and not your IP as your hostname. So your /etc/hosts would look like

/etc/hosts:
    192.168.1.157 mail.example.com mail

Where example.com is your domain name. It's not normal to use your IP as your domain name.
    Thanks. That helped a lot! I was trying to put the ip address that my domain name resolves to when I really needed the computer's local address since I am behind the firewall. Everything is working just fine now! Now I just have to set it up on a real system instead of a Celeron 700 with 128 mb of ram. It does run on that but is pretty slow.

Thanks for making a great product!!!

Question Problems with installation of Zimbra in CENTOS 4.5

Hi. I've read some messages here and I found that the error is the same one that the posted here. I'll copy the message

*** CONFIGURATION COMPLETE - press 'a' to apply
    Select from menu, or press 'a' to apply config (? - help) a
    Saving config in /opt/zimbra/config.12210...Done
    Operations logged to /tmp/zmsetup.log.12210
    Setting local config values...Done
    Setting up CA...Done
    Fetching CA from ldap...ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: getDirectContext) (cause: javax.naming.CommunicationException localhost.localdomain:389)
    ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: getDirectContext) (cause: javax.naming.CommunicationException localhost.localdomain:389)
    Done
    Creating server entry for localhost.localdomain...Done
    Setting services on localhost.localdomain...Done
    Setting up zimbra crontab...Done
    Setting up syslog.conf...ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: getDirectContext) (cause: javax.naming.CommunicationException localhost.localdomain:389)
    Done

Somebody can help me??

Thx

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by gbajczman View Post
    Somebody can help me??
    ..... and does your hosts file contain the correct information? Do you have DNS A & MX records pointing to your Zimbra server?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.