Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Workflow-feature: Attachements to eMails

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    206
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Workflow-feature: Attachements to eMails

    Hello,

    a simple scenario could be the following:
    The company receives an order via email on the standard email-
    account (e.g. info@company.com). That email
    will be either manually forwarded to "order entry" or, if the mail
    is clearly "identifiable" as an order (e.g because the text string
    "order" is found), or automatically forwarded to the person in
    charge. This person writes an invoice, prints it out and the
    "order entry system" generates a paper output, and a PDF.
    Afterwards the "Order entry person " attaches this PDF with
    drag and drop from the "Desktop" to the mail and writes for
    example an additional note and attaches it as well to the mail.

    It would be much better if that step(writing a note) could be
    done directly in ZIMBRA (easier than opening an editor, saving
    the document and attaching it to the mail)!

    Because it could happen, that a mail is routed to different
    persons, the person which added the "attachement/note"
    and the date should be recognizeable.
    I am exited to hear if that killer feature could be soon
    integrated. For such a cool feature we would even pay,
    (if you are going to support it in feature releases).

    John

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    4,789
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by john99
    Hello,

    a simple scenario could be the following:
    The company receives an order via email on the standard email-
    account (e.g. info@company.com). That email
    will be either manually forwarded to "order entry" or, if the mail
    is clearly "identifiable" as an order (e.g because the text string
    "order" is found), or automatically forwarded to the person in
    charge. This person writes an invoice, prints it out and the
    "order entry system" generates a paper output, and a PDF.
    The forward based on some criteria could be a filter.

    Quote Originally Posted by john99
    Afterwards the "Order entry person " attaches this PDF with
    drag and drop from the "Desktop" to the mail and writes for
    example an additional note and attaches it as well to the mail.
    Well can't drag and drop the PDF from the desktop but it's quite easy in Zimbra to add an attachment when composing a mail in Zimbra. Of course the notes can just be the body of the email.

    Quote Originally Posted by john99
    It would be much better if that step(writing a note) could be
    done directly in ZIMBRA (easier than opening an editor, saving
    the document and attaching it to the mail)!

    Because it could happen, that a mail is routed to different
    persons, the person which added the "attachement/note"
    and the date should be recognizeable.
    I am exited to hear if that killer feature could be soon
    integrated. For such a cool feature we would even pay,
    (if you are going to support it in feature releases).

    John
    The date/time and FROM is stamped on all outgoing mail. So I think al your cases are for the most part covered. Let me know if you've got any additional questions.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Kevins proposal is ok, but nevertheless too complicated. Users will never accept it!

    As long draging items in and out of the browser is not supported, it's very very hard
    - if not impossible - to convince users.. (not only to use that procedure,
    but to really like Zimbra in general..)


    Harry
    Last edited by harry; 12-22-2005 at 09:31 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    4,789
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Harry,

    If you can point us to another browser based application that does drag/drop into a browser without plugins (ie works on all browsers) let us know. Without that support I'm not sure what else you'd expect Zimbra to do.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Gainesville, Florida
    Posts
    31
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by john99
    Hello,

    a simple scenario could be the following:
    The company receives an order via email on the standard email-
    account (e.g. info@company.com). That email
    will be either manually forwarded to "order entry" or, if the mail
    is clearly "identifiable" as an order (e.g because the text string
    "order" is found), or automatically forwarded to the person in
    charge. This person writes an invoice, prints it out and the
    "order entry system" generates a paper output, and a PDF.
    Afterwards the "Order entry person " attaches this PDF with
    drag and drop from the "Desktop" to the mail and writes for
    example an additional note and attaches it as well to the mail.

    John
    It sounds like you are describing a specific process within your company. I don't know what other tools you use for workflow, so it is a little hard to say what you can/should rely on for the best process. Perhaps you might consider a process revision? Sometimes a low-tech process revision can resolve any high-tech shortcomings you might find.

    Email can be an effective tool for workflow, but some of the controls that mention might be find hard to find in any of the other email products (Outlook, TB, etc.), with the drag-n-drop being the only difference. In some business cases, email is a very poor tool for managing workflow. In others, it is very useful.

    If drag-and-drop functionality is a critical aspect of your business process and retraining is not feasible, then you might be in a bind.

    However, with a little bit of retraining (which really would be "do X instead Y"), you might be able to tweak your process and more effectively use the tools that Zimbra currently has.

    My company is using email (and shared calendaring) as central tools in our workflow, so we're in a similar circumstance.

    We have been using Zimbra for only about a month, and my team seems to be retraining themselves (we previously used a SendMail server with TB front-end). Certainly, I have some suggestions on improvement; however, but I'm waiting to see which ones resolve themselves and which ones really have a negative impact on the core work that has to be done.

    Note to KevinH: I have a list, but it is pretty minor. Most everything else is working like a charm.

    Anyway...my $0.02...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    4,789
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mattdono
    Note to KevinH: I have a list, but it is pretty minor. Most everything else is working like a charm.
    Feel free to post it in the User (here) or in the admin forum. If you don't want to make them public just PM me.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Gainesville, Florida
    Posts
    31
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    Feel free to post it in the User (here) or in the admin forum. If you don't want to make them public just PM me.
    We'll do. I hate to be cliche, but I'm a "glass-is-half-full" guy, so some things really don't register as "problems".

    Also, we have only been on Zimbra for about a month and some of the things on the list, I suspect, are just learning issues for me any my crew. Some of the features (i.e., Search Builder), we are already taking full advantage of and will only explore more. [EDIT: See my post over here for more details.]

    I mentioned the Tasks on a different post and you had replied with the "send-a-mail-to-yourself-tagged-as-'Task'" suggestion and the team seemed cool with that...for now. Shared tasks was actually the biggest issue for my team, but mostly because we work virtually and having a list that can be commonly worked on, viewed, notes made about, completed, etc. is beneficial. I have some business requirements framed out on the Tasks suggestion and will forward them after some additional consideration and discussion with my crew.

    Anywho...
    Last edited by mattdono; 12-28-2005 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Adding a reference link

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    It sounds like what you're trying to acomplish may be possible with the new 4.0 version of SugarCRM. You can automate creation of entries based on pick-up of email from certain accounts. Hopefully at some point we'll see tighter integration of SugarCRM and Zimbra.

    -Vince

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Gainesville, Florida
    Posts
    31
    Rep Power
    10

    Default SugarCRM

    Quote Originally Posted by vcolombo
    It sounds like what you're trying to acomplish may be possible with the new 4.0 version of SugarCRM. You can automate creation of entries based on pick-up of email from certain accounts. Hopefully at some point we'll see tighter integration of SugarCRM and Zimbra.

    -Vince
    I made another post about SugarCRM, asking if anyone has connected SugarCRM and Zimbra. When I re-read your post tonight, I noticed something in your verbiage that raised my eyebrow.

    You said, "tighter integration of SugarCRM and Zimbra".

    Have you connected SugarCRM and Zimbra already and are only hoping for a "tighter" integration?

    Or, were you meaning "tighter integration" as in being able to connect SugarCRM and Zimbra, period?

    My team is likely to be installing SugarCRM this coming work for our marketing and sales efforts. If you have some experiences with SugarCRM and Zimbra, I would like to hear about it.

Similar Threads

  1. [SOLVED] Trouble with Documents Feature
    By Jazzhands in forum Installation
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-09-2008, 07:00 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-24-2007, 09:38 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-30-2006, 05:56 PM
  4. Not receiving emails
    By koby in forum Installation
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-28-2006, 04:29 AM
  5. emails don't show up in inbox in browser
    By pstelzer in forum Installation
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-13-2005, 10:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •