Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Improvements can be made in the web client

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    France (Haute-Savoie)
    Posts
    123
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Improvements can be made in the web client

    Hi all,

    as Zimbra Inc is a great company with great developers, and now with big bank credits (as Zimbra Inc has been acquired by Yahoo), I'd make some suggestions for the web UI.

    Indeed, my users give me examples of what they need regularly :
    • message delivery acknowledgements so that they know when the recipient has opened the message
    • a detail button in the To: field (when composing a mail) that permits to list the different email address that a distribution list contains
    • a planning view that can show the availabilities of a company departement (for example, a chief can ask his staff to generate him a "simple" share than shows only availabilities), this view would be printable. This is useful for the reception hostess that need to know if users are available or not to answer to phone requests.
    • print a popup when connecting to web UI while the "Out of office" message is activated (that permits to remember to deactivate this message when a user comes back from vacation).
    • possibility to attach several files at a time
    • have several appointments types (like in other products like Notes or Outlook), in order to differentiate several appointments into a calendar
    • for the reception hostess, the need to create phone messages : someone let a message to them, so, they always need to create this type of message. This would ease their job (Domino has this functionality)
    • add the 'i' shortcut in the shortcut list : this shortcut allows to refresh the screen.
    • ability to just delete an attachment of a received email : sometimes, users receive some big files by email, so they need to detach them, but they need to keep the message in the mailbox. At the same time, they need to save some messages to RTF or DOC format in order to keep a paper printed version, but I've found a bugzilla vote for this function ...
    As an admin, I'm happy for the Zimbra team that Yahoo acquired you, it'll allow you to develop more funny functionalities.

    Regards.
    Last edited by fmodola; 09-25-2007 at 09:32 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Williamsburg, VA
    Posts
    451
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Greetings...

    Looks like some of your suggestions are in bugzilla. Be sure to search through and vote on your ideas.

    If you don't see an entry in there, create one and don't forget to vote for it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,242
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fmodola View Post
    message delivery acknowledgements so that they know when the recipient has opened the message
    That would be: Bug 7257 - Support read receipts and delivery reports in webmail

    Quote Originally Posted by fmodola View Post
    a detail button in the To: field (when composing a mail) that permits to list the different email address that a distribution list contains
    Bug 7554 - Cannot view distribution list members when composing message

    Quote Originally Posted by fmodola View Post
    a planning view that can show the availabilities of a company departement (for example, a chief can ask his staff to generate him a "simple" share than shows only availabilities), this view would be printable. This is useful for the reception hostess that need to know if users are available or not to answer to phone requests.
    There was a thread/RFE on this the other day-I'll check in a sec for ya
    Quote Originally Posted by fmodola View Post
    print a popup when connecting to web UI while the "Out of office" message is activated (that permits to remember to deactivate this message when a user comes back from vacation).
    zimbraPrefOutOfOfficeFromDate & zimbraPrefOutOfOfficeUntilDate solve some of this
    but your asking for: Bug 12741 - Provide "out of office" or "vacation" message warning on web log-in

    Quote Originally Posted by fmodola View Post
    possibility to attach several files at a time
    You can add more blanks, but I assume you mean like a folder upload/drag folder java applet-that's already an RFE somewhere as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by fmodola View Post
    have several appointments types (like in other products like Notes or Outlook), in order to differentiate several appointments into a calendar
    types you'd like to see?

    Quote Originally Posted by fmodola View Post
    for the reception hostess, the need to create phone messages : someone let a message to them, so, they always need to create this type of message. This would ease their job (Domino has this functionality)
    -templates, there's an RFE in for this but see some current workarounds here /forums/installation/7201-email-templates.html

    Quote Originally Posted by fmodola View Post
    add the 'i' shortcut in the shortcut list : this shortcut allows to refresh the screen.
    it is, what version are you currently running? i stands for inbox, there's also r for refresh when your in some other modes like cal or docs (but r stands for reply when you ontop of a mail)
    Last edited by mmorse; 09-25-2007 at 03:41 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    France (Haute-Savoie)
    Posts
    123
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Hi all,

    sorry for the bugzilla search, but as I'm french, I need to translate some functionalities' names before searching, and it often gets no result.

    Concerning the appointment types, I think it would be good to be able to create the same than into Lotus Notes.

    As you know, too much information kills information, so, if you think that there are too many types, I let you choose the most important ones. (holidays, rendez-vous, professional/personal displacement, etc ... may be required by users)

    I found nothing about phone call message (the ability for reception hostess to send us an email refering to whom tried to call us, when, if it was important, and when the contact is free for call him back) in the bugzilla, is there something planned for this ?

    And what about deleting only the attachments of an email (in order to allow users to save disk space by deleting some big messages, it would be a great function to add a link just for deleting an attachment, and not the entire message) ?

    Thanks in advance.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,242
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fmodola
    I found nothing about phone call message (the ability for reception hostess to send us an email refering to whom tried to call us, when, if it was important, and when the contact is free for call him back) in the bugzilla, is there something planned for this ?
    Two methods you could use:
    -templates, there's an RFE in for this but see some current workarounds here /forums/installation/7201-email-templates.html
    -or you could setup a scheme of using tasks to list those who called, etc (check out the v5 beta)

    Quote Originally Posted by fmodola
    And what about deleting only the attachments of an email (in order to allow users to save disk space by deleting some big messages, it would be a great function to add a link just for deleting an attachment, and not the entire message) ?
    Could have sworn this was also in bugzilla, but I can't find it right now (When your searching don't confuse 'detach' with detaching the mail window).
    If you need to make a new one for 'remove or discard attachments from existing messages' that's fine-it will get marked as a duplicate later on if someone can find the original.

    The trickier part of course is cleanup-Then if no other users have references to that attachment (remember this is single instance storage) it would be deleted from the server.
    (ZAD would still be ok because archive accounts would still count as a link to that attachment.)
    Last edited by mmorse; 09-26-2007 at 09:51 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    France (Haute-Savoie)
    Posts
    123
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Another thing that has already been discussed on the forum, but that doesn't have any complete information :

    is it possible to choose where to open the new mail compose window (in a new tab or in a new window, for IE7+ or FF2+) ???

    Thanks for the previous answers.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    France (Haute-Savoie)
    Posts
    123
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    As we are opening more and more Zimbra features for our users, we encounter some new problems :
    • We have resources that need to be restricted for some users, or groups, so is there a way to affect rights to do that ?
    • Some resources also need to be restricted for use in a time range, so it would be great to indicate the time ranges of availabity in a full week
    • When users want to search for a resource, I think it could be great to display automatically a notification when a resource is unavailable. Or, it is possible to display only the resources that can be reserved for the appointment being created ...
    I've voted for several bugs in the bugzilla, but I think that posting here is a better way to invite other customers/users to vote for them. (Search for "resource" in the bugzilla and you'll find all bugs related to resource search enhancements)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,242
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Even though it sound's like you might have found them I'll post anyway, so other's don't have to search and know what to watch/vote on.

    Quote Originally Posted by fmodola View Post
    We have resources that need to be restricted for some users, or groups, so is there a way to affect rights to do that ?
    Bug 8708 - Access Control for Calendar Resources

    Quote Originally Posted by fmodola View Post
    When users want to search for a resource, I think it could be great to display automatically a notification when a resource is unavailable. Or, it is possible to display only the resources that can be reserved for the appointment being created ...
    Bug 7844 - improved searching for resource availability [Resource Scheduling Enhancements]
    Bug 11815 - Validate Resource/Location availability at appt creation time
    Last edited by mmorse; 10-03-2007 at 09:22 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    France (Haute-Savoie)
    Posts
    123
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    you're right, but I've voted for several other bugs and finally I didn't remember which one were concerning this problem.

    Thanks for the links ...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,242
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fmodola
    And what about deleting only the attachments of an email (in order to allow users to save disk space by deleting some big messages, it would be a great function to add a link just for deleting an attachment, and not the entire message) ?
    Ran accross it: Bug 233 - Ability to remove attachment from received message

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-25-2010, 02:37 AM
  2. Problem after change the Web mail client port number
    By eugeneewe in forum Installation
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-19-2007, 06:27 PM
  3. Need Help Troubleshooting Web Client Issues
    By soxfan in forum Administrators
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-23-2007, 05:27 AM
  4. Using Ajax Web client on Windows 2000!
    By celeron in forum Administrators
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-09-2007, 10:09 PM
  5. Moving Zimbra Web Client from one port to another.
    By oopstu in forum Administrators
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-20-2007, 01:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •