Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Yet another feature question

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Yet another feature question

    I've checked around but I can't find some info on the website that I'm looking for. I've messed around with the online demo, and there are some features that I didn't see that we'd need to migrate our current groupware solution to zimbra--

    1) is there a news client, so that we can have updates, etc, on the first page people see when they log in?

    2) is there a shared files or shared documents addon that can be loaded?

    3) I've read that the chat addon isn't exactly up to snuff yet, but how easy is that to enable/disable?

    4) Can I sync it up to active directory for login credentials? I'll be running this on a Linux server but I'll want it to use the AD server for login credentials. If I do it this way, will I have to manually create the users on the linux server or is there a way to automate this? (for example, johnsmith isn't a user on the linux server, but he's in active directory, so when he logs into zimbra he doesn't have his mail because he's not a user, see what I mean?) I've had trouble with eGroupware doing that... I can authenticate with Active Directory but I'd have to manually create all the users and /home/user directories in order for the users to be able to use the email.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Thatcher, AZ
    Posts
    5,606
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by panickedthumb
    1) is there a news client, so that we can have updates, etc, on the first page people see when they log in?
    Currently, no. That acutally sounds like a great fearture! Please, by all means file a feature request by going to bugzilla.zimbra.com
    Quote Originally Posted by panickedthumb
    2) is there a shared files or shared documents addon that can be loaded?
    This will be included in the 3.2 GA release. It is available in the beta, but in certain cases, it can crash/halt a users brower. It would be best to wait until the GA.
    Quote Originally Posted by panickedthumb
    3) I've read that the chat addon isn't exactly up to snuff yet, but how easy is that to enable/disable?
    I have actually been testing this. It does work but is not up to par for GA yet. (atlease I'm told) Search the forums on how to enable it. It's there.

    Let's address the following in sections:
    Quote Originally Posted by panickedthumb
    4) Can I sync it up to active directory for login credentials? I'll be running this on a Linux server but I'll want it to use the AD server for login credentials.
    Yup. Here are some places to start:
    http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?tit...vices_Articles
    http://www.zimbra.com/forums/showpos...03&postcount=3
    and
    The User Guides provide a lot of information.
    Quote Originally Posted by panickedthumb
    If I do it this way, will I have to manually create the users on the linux server or is there a way to automate this? (for example, johnsmith isn't a user on the linux server, but he's in active directory, so when he logs into zimbra he doesn't have his mail because he's not a user, see what I mean?) I've had trouble with eGroupware doing that...
    I can authenticate with Active Directory but I'd have to manually create all the users and /home/user directories in order for the users to be able to use the email.
    With zimbra, you don't need to do that. You create the users (either by zmprov or the admin ui) it creates everything in /opt/zimbra/..etc.. for you.

    If anyone has some success with AD, the wiki could use some info, plus please help panicked out. He's a little. . . . . . .panicked.

    jh

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    ok, so would standard unix mail get to the zimbra users? Say for example if I'm ssh'ed into the server under the username john, and I email the user jill, will that get to jill in zimbra?

    As well as my company, I want to set up zimbra on my server at home for my wife and myself, and in addition to being able to send mail, we'd like to download mail with fetchmail from our other accounts and have it there as well.

    Sorry if that sounds weird

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    France (Haute-Savoie)
    Posts
    123
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    for AD authentication I guess it works : today i've set up an Novell eDirectory authentication for Zimbra users.

    you only need to create a user in Zimbra with the same user name as in your LDAP directory, and when he/she will connect, he/she will have to enter the LDAP account's password not Zimbra account's ...

    If it works for eDirectory, I think it works for AD (you need to understand the LDAP filters to adjust your LDAP queries) because Zimbra developers are very good !!! REALLY !!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    518
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    >ok, so would standard unix mail get to the zimbra users?
    >

    if the user jill has an account on the default domain in zimbra, the mail will get delivered to the zimbra user. if not, the mail will get delivered to the system user.

    i think there might be configuration parameters that affect this, so ymmv

Similar Threads

  1. [SOLVED] Trouble with Documents Feature
    By Jazzhands in forum Installation
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-09-2008, 07:00 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-24-2007, 09:38 PM
  3. Multiple Domains Question
    By kristiaan_d in forum Administrators
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-14-2007, 05:38 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-30-2006, 05:56 PM
  5. Feature Question
    By david_tuckar in forum Administrators
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-24-2006, 09:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •