Hi again guys,
So I did something stupid. The background is that I host my own Zimbra install for private use (it's only me using it) and I don't have a proper fqdn outside my home network. So ... whenever I send email it seems like it's coming from 'me'@'machine.localnet.net', basically nothing you can reach from the outside. The problem is people Love to click on my name as a hotlink to reply instead of clicking reply thereby bypassing the nice reply-to address I set in the zimbra options. To get around this I experimented with adding a domain in the Zimbra admin panel, let's call it, 'gmail.com' you know, something made up. So in this domain 'gmail.com' I added a user, let's say my username to that domain which may be the same as my username on another real webmail site that's pop friendly, let's also call that one 'gmail.com'. This allows me to send mail from Zimbra using the same email address as a real one that I can collect mail from.
Everything is peachy except Zimbra now considers itself the final step for the 'gmail.com' domain so no mails will leave my server and go to the real 'gmail.com'. Busted.
OK. Now I try to rename my username to what it was before, both the login name and the domain and then delete the 'gmail.com' domain from the Zimbra admin panel. This goes smoothly. The problem is that the fetchmail acct aggregation and another test user on the system can't reach my account using the old, and now, new/same username.
I can't figure out why, after renaming my user back to the old username AND changing the domain back mail can't reach me using that address. ...
P.S. My apologies for being a frequent trouble maker. :[