Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: i have a ghost in my address book

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    35
    Rep Power
    3

    Default i have a ghost in my address book

    this is technically about zimbra webmail but i could not seem to find a specific webmail forum here.

    basically i have a contact 'somewhere' in my address book. however, zimbra webmail acts as if it does not exist. and yet at the same time it does. confusing? let me explain.

    i have a list of contacts in address book. this 'ghost' email address is not on the list. in fact it does not show up anywhere in my address book. i'll make a new contact group. i'll send an email to the contact group. i will get a 'mail delivery subsystem' bounced back to me from the ghost email address that does not exist in my address book. Now, what is even stranger is if i right click on the ghost email, and the email address zimbra will give me the option to 'add to contacts'.

    i have found no solution. and this is quite frustrating. i can delete the entire contact group, make a fresh, new one, and the ghost email address will still somehow find itself on the contact group list.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    35
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    can anyone at least tell me if this is a bug so i can file a report? or how to remove the address?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    88
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by z000 View Post
    this is technically about zimbra webmail but i could not seem to find a specific webmail forum here.

    basically i have a contact 'somewhere' in my address book. however, zimbra webmail acts as if it does not exist. and yet at the same time it does. confusing? let me explain.

    i have a list of contacts in address book. this 'ghost' email address is not on the list. in fact it does not show up anywhere in my address book. i'll make a new contact group. i'll send an email to the contact group. i will get a 'mail delivery subsystem' bounced back to me from the ghost email address that does not exist in my address book. Now, what is even stranger is if i right click on the ghost email, and the email address zimbra will give me the option to 'add to contacts'.

    i have found no solution. and this is quite frustrating. i can delete the entire contact group, make a fresh, new one, and the ghost email address will still somehow find itself on the contact group list.
    That does sound really frustrating. Off the top of my head, I'd check to see if any of the addresses you're adding to the contact group are auto-forwarding messages to another invalid address, which might account for the bounce.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    35
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jjohnson View Post
    That does sound really frustrating. Off the top of my head, I'd check to see if any of the addresses you're adding to the contact group are auto-forwarding messages to another invalid address, which might account for the bounce.
    thats a really good idea. the only problem is i'm not sure how to do that. is there a easy method to determine if someone on the list is having the email forwarded to another? i have about 200 people on the contact group.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    88
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by z000 View Post
    thats a really good idea. the only problem is i'm not sure how to do that. is there a easy method to determine if someone on the list is having the email forwarded to another? i have about 200 people on the contact group.
    Sadly, unless you're a mail administrator, it's brute force process. I'd send a test message to 1/2 the list, and if you don't get the bounce send to the other half. If that gets the bounce, then I'd split in 1/2 again and repeat until you get it down a single address. It might be an annoyance for everyone, but presumably you're not the only one getting the bounce message so you're likely helping others as well.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-18-2013, 12:16 AM
  2. Gobal Address List and Personnal Address Book
    By selliott in forum Administrators
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-03-2010, 09:27 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-02-2010, 11:13 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-08-2010, 08:57 AM
  5. share calendar, address book using canonical address
    By Artturi in forum Administrators
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-20-2009, 09:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •