Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: M2 Experiences?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    9

    Default M2 Experiences?

    Hi All -

    For those of you who have installed and are running M2, how would you describe your experiences in the following categories:

    1. The Wows - It blew me away

    2. The Yes - You fixed it

    3. The Pain - Why is it this way

    4. Here Be Dragons - Warn us away from the bad things you are seeing

    Yours,

    Jordan

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Posts
    59
    Rep Power
    9

    Thumbs up My M2 Observations

    I installed M2 yesterday on my test box FC3... easy install... /etc/init.d/zimbra stop./install.sh -u ./install.sh. ( I am waiting for Debian before go live!)

    As I played with Zimbra, I made notes of what I liked,had problems with, wished for. So...


    Way To Go Category:
    The multicalendar view is excellent! This is how it should be. I can select or unselect which calendars to view AND have the appointments display in one view. Outstanding!

    The overall system response feels quicker. Perhaps some performance tweaks were made?

    Calendar printing is much better. Instead of a listing of events, we now can print a calendar.

    Multi select for drag-drop works very well.

    Problem/Question Category:
    So far, spam filtering has not tagged anything as spam (spam is enabled ). I have lowered the spam settings to 10/40 tag/kill. No joy.

    Email filter rules spontaneously change. I have set a rule to- From: contains badip.com Mark As read + File into /Junk. When I log in again later I see:
    From: is badip.com Leave in Inbox + File into /Junk. (contains becomes is, /Junk becomes Inbox.

    In calendar, right click on calendar brings up a menu. Selection New Appointment/New All Day Appointment is no-responsive. I tried the menu using Linux(Ubunutu)/W2k/WXP/Firefox/IE..... no response.

    I have shared the admin calendar with my (Mike) account with Manager rights. How can I add/delete to the admin calendar from my (Mike) calendar view?
    I have tried unselecting my calendar with ONLY the admin calendar checked. Adding an appointment adds to my calendar not the admin calendar.

    RSS for email only returns error messages.

    Wish Category:
    In Calendar view, option to set the work day start time. I may have an appointment set to 7:00am for the next 4 Fridays. If I am in workweek view and I click on the arrow to show the next week, the view jumps to a default of 8:00am... I have to scroll up to see if I have any 7:00am appointments. Make an option to set the default starting time for viewing.

    In Calendar, I have several calendars shared to me. I have made a "universal" calendar using the admin account. I put holidays on the admin calendar and then share the calendar to all users. Every time I log out and back in, only my calendar (calendar) is selected. I must again select the Holiday calendar (admin). Make selected choices of calendar "sticky". Or have a user option to have "sticky" calendars or to always start with only the user's calendars selected.

    Calendar printing. It would be nice to be able to have the calendar colors also print. So my calendar items would print a different color from the Holiday calendar items.

    Syncing to a PDA would impress my boss!

    Overall, it is a very nice update. It is quite useable as is... but I would, of course, like to see some tweaks.

    Good Job!!


    Mike

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    4,789
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mjfleck2000
    The overall system response feels quicker. Perhaps some performance tweaks were made?
    A few, but many more are coming.

    Quote Originally Posted by mjfleck2000
    So far, spam filtering has not tagged anything as spam (spam is enabled ). I have lowered the spam settings to 10/40 tag/kill. No joy.
    If you look at the headers you can see the score for the message and the score required. By default we ship with DNSBL turn off. We'll post how to enable this and that might help if your getting hit by known spammers.

    Quote Originally Posted by mjfleck2000
    Email filter rules spontaneously change. I have set a rule to- From: contains badip.com Mark As read + File into /Junk. When I log in again later I see:
    From: is badip.com Leave in Inbox + File into /Junk. (contains becomes is, /Junk becomes Inbox.
    The filter UI has a few bugs. We will get these fixed in an upcoming release.

    Quote Originally Posted by mjfleck2000
    In calendar, right click on calendar brings up a menu. Selection New Appointment/New All Day Appointment is no-responsive. I tried the menu using Linux(Ubunutu)/W2k/WXP/Firefox/IE..... no response.
    Small buglet It's fixed in the next release.

    Quote Originally Posted by mjfleck2000
    I have shared the admin calendar with my (Mike) account with Manager rights. How can I add/delete to the admin calendar from my (Mike) calendar view?
    I have tried unselecting my calendar with ONLY the admin calendar checked. Adding an appointment adds to my calendar not the admin calendar.
    You should have a drop down menu in the calendar ('More Details') composer. You can pick which calendar to create the event in.

    Quote Originally Posted by mjfleck2000
    RSS for email only returns error messages.
    Can you post the errors?

    Quote Originally Posted by mjfleck2000
    Wish Category:
    In Calendar view, option to set the work day start time. I may have an appointment set to 7:00am for the next 4 Fridays. If I am in workweek view and I click on the arrow to show the next week, the view jumps to a default of 8:00am... I have to scroll up to see if I have any 7:00am appointments. Make an option to set the default starting time for viewing.
    Yes the vew should be smart and scoll back to your first event. This is on our list.


    Quote Originally Posted by mjfleck2000
    In Calendar, I have several calendars shared to me. I have made a "universal" calendar using the admin account. I put holidays on the admin calendar and then share the calendar to all users. Every time I log out and back in, only my calendar (calendar) is selected. I must again select the Holiday calendar (admin). Make selected choices of calendar "sticky". Or have a user option to have "sticky" calendars or to always start with only the user's calendars selected.
    Yes. this is a known bug.

    Quote Originally Posted by mjfleck2000
    Calendar printing. It would be nice to be able to have the calendar colors also print. So my calendar items would print a different color from the Holiday calendar items.
    It's filed as an enhancement.

    Quote Originally Posted by mjfleck2000
    Syncing to a PDA would impress my boss!
    You can use IMAP today for mail.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    477
    Rep Power
    9

    Default M2

    In general M2 is a major improvement.
    1. IP Tables being removed is a huge improvement
    2. The system seems more responsive
    3. Most things work "the way you would expect" out of the box
    4. Email is very responsive


    In general my todo list is more wishlisty
    1. It's a bit of pain right now to synchronize email between the two boxes. IMAPSync is a good start, but it's too easy to mess things up (by forgetting to use --syncinternaldates
    2. Better integration with SpamAssassin and DSPAM would be nice. (I may give this a go myself, it gives me a excuse to dig into the java behind the scenes).
    3. Right now spell checking seems to require it's own httpd and ispell package. That's a bit resource hoggy for me.


    In general, I am enjoying it, and just moved over my personal web server to it. So far so good, and I can't wait to start hacking on it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,103
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Stuff.

    Quote Originally Posted by lostknight
    In general M2 is a major improvement.

    In general my todo list is more wishlisty
    1. It's a bit of pain right now to synchronize email between the two boxes. IMAPSync is a good start, but it's too easy to mess things up (by forgetting to use --syncinternaldates
    2. Better integration with SpamAssassin and DSPAM would be nice. (I may give this a go myself, it gives me a excuse to dig into the java behind the scenes).
    3. Right now spell checking seems to require it's own httpd and ispell package. That's a bit resource hoggy for me.

    What would you like to see wrt to spamassassin? DSPAM is on our list (esp. since there's a howto in the forums )

    Spell checking in its own server was done on purpose - we're planning to use the apache instance as an integration point for several services, not just aspell - and, with it in a separate server, you can scale these services apart from the mailbox server, which wouldn't be possible if it was wrapped in the tomcat instance.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    477
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marcmac
    What would you like to see wrt to spamassassin? DSPAM is on our list (esp. since there's a howto in the forums )

    Spell checking in its own server was done on purpose - we're planning to use the apache instance as an integration point for several services, not just aspell - and, with it in a separate server, you can scale these services apart from the mailbox server, which wouldn't be possible if it was wrapped in the tomcat instance.
    There are still a couple of things that need to be ironed out with DSPAM, training is a problem (Is there any way in Zimbra to associate a account with a command in UNIX?). In addition the DSPAM howto only works for a site wide database. Per user database doesn't work correctly yet (I think it has to do with the Trusted Users, but I am still not seeing independend databases per user).

    My ideas were as follows:
    1. Develop a standard webservice backend API that contains generic Spam Functionality (Run a specific message thru the spam scoring proccess, rescore a message as SPAM or HAM, modify certain generic paramaters - cutoffs, etc, purge the SPAM database if it is no good).
    2. That backend should be flexable enough to work with different SPAM products, like spamassassin and DSPAM in the opensource world. DSPAM can store user preferences in either a mysql database, or a LDAP instance. The backend should be able to manage thoose preferences and present a single generic API to clients.
    3. The administration server needs a simple page to control site wide thresholds, generic training and the ability to override user preferences.
    4. Users need a away to specify their own threasholds, do their own training, and correcting of the spam proccess.


    Anyways, I was planning on working on that as my first contribution to Zimbra.

Similar Threads

  1. LDAP Replication Experiences
    By technikolor in forum Administrators
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-11-2008, 11:52 PM
  2. Any Solaris experiences yet ?
    By daimer77 in forum Installation
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-21-2005, 11:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •