Upgrade Open Source to Network Edition Questions

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
tcauduro

Postby tcauduro » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:56 am

I'm currently planning to upgrade our current Zimbra install to the latest GA Release.

We are currently running 4.5.10_GA_1575.FC5 and would like to upgrade to 5.2.
So far the plan is to back everything up, upgrade our Fedora 5 to Fedora 7 and then run the upgrade to 5.2. Shouldn't be a problem right? Well here's the kicker... We are looking at upgrading to the Network Edition, but unfortunately Fedora doesn't seem to be supported.

What I'm looking for is some guidance on how to approach this. Even though its unsupported, is getting the Network edition to run on Fedora a difficult task? Has anyone had any success?

Or.. Is there a suggested route to take in converting an existing install and porting it over to a supported platform which can then be upgraded to the Network Edition.
Has anyone been in a similar situation and had any success?

Starting from scratch is not an option as I definitely need to preserve the emails that are currently on our existing system.
Any advice is appreciated.

jholder
Zimbra Employee
Zimbra Employee

Postby jholder » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:12 pm

Yeah, getting fedora to work is gonna be too much of a mess. You might want to move to RedHat, or Ubuntu.
12237Dirk
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Postby 12237Dirk » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:43 am

It shouldn't be too much work to move the OSS version from fedora onto Ubuntu and then upgrade to NE. If you plan on using NE then you must use a distribution that's approved for support by Zimbra, and the only free one is Ubuntu 6.01LTS.
A better option is RHEL, but that carries additional fee's with it.

Return to “Installation and Upgrade”