How do I use ldap address books?

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
mickier
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby mickier » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:09 pm

I am running zimbra opensource 5.0.2, but need to allow users (web client) to look up addresses in some public LDAP address books (port 389)...

There are several ldap address books we look-up in regularly, but I can't figure out how to access them from my zimbra web mail client.

:confused:

Am I being stupid or is there no easy way?!

mmorse
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby mmorse » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:06 pm

[quote user="mickier"]There are several ldap address books we look-up in regularly, but I can't figure out how to access them from my zimbra web mail client.[/quote]

Admin Console GUI > Domain > Configure GAL > Both > Follow the wizard
4211PeterH

Postby 4211PeterH » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:37 am

@mike:
Following this wizard I get to the check-phase, there it either checks wrong or correct. If it checks correct I still have the finish-button greyed out. If it checks incorrect I can correct the error and continue to correct check..
Is the a bug or must I be doing something wrong still within composing the ldap-strings?

Tested on IE7 and Mozilla: same result here.
Thnx..

Peter
4211PeterH

Postby 4211PeterH » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:42 pm

Could anyone reply to this one? Through searching not finding anything usefull on the subject. Meanwhile having a nice working filter that tests ok with results but NO option to save it. Both in external GAL and 'use both'-mode... This is really annoying and probably something simple I must be doing wrong? :mad:

Regards,

Peter
danielfarrelly
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby danielfarrelly » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:11 pm

what type of directory servers are you attempting to look up?
4211PeterH

Postby 4211PeterH » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:45 pm

I am trying to connect back to my zimbrabox via url at ldap-root level to get access via GAL to all accounts on the machine. Since internal only returns my own domain this would be a nice solution to access all addresses on the server. The search filter is working ok already. Could this be the problem? Connecting back to my server? Approaching it as external (so not in 'both'-mode) doesn't work either, though test returning correct results also..?

Thnx,

Peter
danielfarrelly
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby danielfarrelly » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:05 pm

it should be pretty easy to setup multiple ldap gal's. i'm still kinda unclear as to what the exact problem you're having. are you trying to use more than one external ldap directory on a per domain basis? or are you having issues with what filters to use in a single external directory? if it's the latter, what type of server is running the ldap services (domino, openldap, etc)?
15145administrator
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Postby 15145administrator » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:42 pm

[quote user="4211PeterH"]Could anyone reply to this one? Through searching not finding anything usefull on the subject. Meanwhile having a nice working filter that tests ok with results but NO option to save it. Both in external GAL and 'use both'-mode... This is really annoying and probably something simple I must be doing wrong? :mad:

Regards,

Peter[/quote]
Can you please post a screenshot? This seems like a bug that was fixed already, but to be sure, I need to look at how your screen looks. The new screen looks like this (it has both Search Test and Sync Test):
 http://www.zimbra.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1749&stc=1&d=1206391293 />

Screenshot-1.png

4211PeterH

Postby 4211PeterH » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:31 pm

Hi, and thnx for your replies!
I'm looking at exactly the same box as Administrator, with both search and sync-tests ok. (even showing results in search-pane) That's why I'm not (yet) posting the screenshot. If needed i can create an empty searchresult off course but showing results should mean test ok, though?
Some extra info on what I'm trying to accomplish:

First:

We host about 20 domains now and our own is one of them.

I'd like to have a GAL for our domain, giving access to all addresses in all of the 20 domains. So I try to configure the same server as external, using the searchstring from the wiki, and taking the suffix .nl as entry point. This seems to work ok. Question is whether it is possible to use the actual server as external ldap-source.

Second: I'm using Dutch language-files, don't know if this could be a problem on itself.

Third: Now on NE5.0.3 since friday and same problem/(or user-)error :0) still there..?

Regards,

Peter
mickier
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby mickier » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:21 pm

zindus works great for thunderbird - (original question in this thread).

It not only gives access to online dir, but keeps online and local addr books sync'd and available offline plus gives local addr book access from zimbra web/desktop client ...
Yeah!

Return to “Installation and Upgrade”