Help! Bind & DNS

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
Otei

Help! Bind & DNS

Postby Otei » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:51 am

Hi!
I have Zimbra 5.0.6 working in opensuse 10.3 but I don't know how to configure dns, I only want to send mails in my pc, no in internet, it's a work for class, so i only need the minimun configuration of dns server and bind for send and receive mails only me! me in my pc, my user1 send email to user2 and receive it! no more! but i have no idea about dns...
Please help me!
Thanks! :D

Russianspi
Advanced member
Advanced member

Help! Bind & DNS

Postby Russianspi » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:06 am

Does this help? Split DNS. If you want to actually receive E-mail, though, you will need to have an actual DNS server pointing those E-mails to your Zimbra server...
Otei

Help! Bind & DNS

Postby Otei » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:46 am

I don't know if this is what I need, this is for red hat, and i am using opensuse 10.3 but I try it, i start doing it but i got problems
/var/named/
bash: cd: named: No existe el fichero o el directorio

named not exist? so i cant try it! :(

My problem is that I don't know how to create a dns server and point it to my ip or my zimbra or I don't know
I'm lost...
thks
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Help! Bind & DNS

Postby phoenix » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:00 pm

[quote user="Otei"]I don't know if this is what I need, this is for red hat, and i am using opensuse 10.3 but I try it, i start doing it but i got problems
/var/named/
bash: cd: named: No existe el fichero o el directorio

named not exist? so i cant try it! :([/QUOTE]Go to yast and search for BIND, install it from there. Zimbra (Postfix) needs a DNS server to deliver the mail even if it's local.

[quote user="Otei"]My problem is that I don't know how to create a dns server and point it to my ip or my zimbra or I don't know
I'm lost...[/QUOTE]You'll have a steep learning curve then. ;) The instructions in the wiki describe what you need to know.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

If you'd like to see this implemented in a future version of ZCS then please vote on Bugzilla entries 97706 & 108168
bdial
Elite member
Elite member

Help! Bind & DNS

Postby bdial » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:05 pm

thers also a yast module for configuring dns server. it's nothing too powerful but for a basic dns setup it's probably easier for a new person than editing zone files. go into software management and search for yast2-dns-server and install that. Then restart yast and you should find it under network services.
Otei

Help! Bind & DNS

Postby Otei » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:33 pm

mmmmmmmmmm... what??
mm... Bind and yast2-dns-server are installed
In /var/ if I try to manipulate or do something whit named it say me that not exist but if I type named and press tab there appear a lot of named-> named, named-checkconf, named-checkzone, named-compilezone but i cant do anything with them(everything as root).
yast2-dns-server installs DNS SERVER ??
if answer is yes, i don't know very well how to configure, yesterday I type my server name but i don't know very well what ips or what do i have to put them into A and MX records. I put there 127.0.0.1 and 127.0.0.2, but I don't know if this is rigth or what.
I didn't use these things never.
Thanks
Bill Brock
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Help! Bind & DNS

Postby Bill Brock » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:16 pm

If BIND and the Yast configuration interface is installed, open Yast, System and then Run Level utility. Make sure BIND is set to start in levels 3 and 5. Then in Yast, Network services, you will find the icon for DNS server that will let you begin configuring your DNS server(BIND).
This is going to require you to have some understanding of setting up DNS and configuring.
Otei

Help! Bind & DNS

Postby Otei » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:31 pm

The DNS server is installed, the problem is that I don't have any idea about dns, so, I dont know how to configure DNS Server, so, I need help to configure it! This is the help for that I ask.
If someone can help me?
thanks.
P.D.: mmm... in the level utility... Bind doesn't appear... ypbind yes and is not running... "BIND" doesn't appear... ???? I see ZIMBRA and it is runing on 3 and 5 Has It relation?
y@w
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Help! Bind & DNS

Postby y@w » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:15 pm

You might want to look into something like Webmin if you're struggling with getting the DNS server configured. You really need to spend the time learning bind if you're going to have it in a production environment, but Webmin would get you up and running fairly quickly doing it the GUI way.
Bill Brock
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Help! Bind & DNS

Postby Bill Brock » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:11 pm

Agreed. Setting up BIND or any DNS server is going to require some learning.
And Webmin is good stuff. Love it for firewall and logs. I personally like the CLI Yast tool for configuring my BIND ervers.

Return to “Installation and Upgrade”