[SOLVED] Disable/Uninstall memcached

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
jwhbud
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby jwhbud » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:42 am

I accidentally installed memcached while installing Zimbra 6.02 on my SLES 10 server. Is there a way to either remove or stop this service?
Thanks

jwhbud
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby jwhbud » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:32 pm

No one has any ideas on this one??? Does it actually affect anything if it is running?
ArcaneMagus
Elite member
Elite member

Postby ArcaneMagus » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:00 pm

This has been covered many times before in the forums, but here it is yet again:

zmmemcachedctl stop

zmprov ms `zmhostname` -zimbraServiceEnabled memcached

zmcontrol stop

zmcontrol start

The search is a useful tool ;)
jwhbud
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby jwhbud » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:26 pm

I appreciate the smartass reply but I've looked in the forums for the last two days and found absolutely nothing on this. That's the reason I ask in the first place.
jonallport
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby jonallport » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:05 pm

Hi guys,
Just a bit more on this. I 'accidentally' installed memcached in the the 5.0.18-6.0.1 upgrade. Even though I disabled it, it comes back to life at each subsequent upgrade. It's only a quick job to disable again, but I'd rather uninstall it. I don't just want to do 'apt-get remove...' as I'm sure it'll break something.
Any advice?
Thanks
rbreck

Postby rbreck » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:38 pm

[quote user="jonallport"]Hi guys,
Just a bit more on this. I 'accidentally' installed memcached in the the 5.0.18-6.0.1 upgrade. Even though I disabled it, it comes back to life at each subsequent upgrade. It's only a quick job to disable again, but I'd rather uninstall it. I don't just want to do 'apt-get remove...' as I'm sure it'll break something.
Any advice?
Thanks[/QUOTE]
I'm in the same boat Jonallport, did you ever figure out a safe way to remove memcached completely from your server?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby phoenix » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:33 pm

[quote user="rbreck"]I'm in the same boat Jonallport, did you ever figure out a safe way to remove memcached completely from your server?[/QUOTE]Details of how to disable and remove service are in the forums. Run the following command to display the installed & Enabled services:
zmprov gs `zmhostname` | grep zimbraServiceEnabled

zmprov gs `zmhostname` | grep zimbraServiceInstalled
To disable a service run the following (this example is for the proxy):
zmprov ms `zmhostname` -zimbraServiceEnabled imapproxy
Details for memcached are in the earlier post in this thread. ;)
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

If you'd like to see this implemented in a future version of ZCS then please vote on Bugzilla entries 97706 & 108168
rbreck

Postby rbreck » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:29 pm

[quote user="10330phoenix"]Details of how to disable and remove service are in the forums. Details for memcached are in the earlier post in this thread. ;)[/QUOTE]
You're right Bill! Thanks.
Due to some of the responses above, I assumed that it would turn back on when I updated to the newest version. This is not the case though, and it remained disabled.
bhwong
Advanced member
Advanced member

Re: [SOLVED] Disable/Uninstall memcached

Postby bhwong » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:09 am

Previously I have installed memcached by accident and Zimbra support suggest that I run these commands to disable it:

Code: Select all

zmmemcachedctl stop
zmprov ms `zmhostname` -zimbraServiceEnabled memcached
zmprov gs `zmhostname` -zimbraServiceInstalled memcached
zmcontrol stop
zmcontrol start

Now that I need this to upgrade to 8.7.1, I have followed the instruction given at https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Zimbra_Pro ... _Servers_2 but the installer still claim that memcached is not detected in my environment.

btw, I also read that enabling the Proxy has cause webmail to hangs every few hours. Is this resolved yet before I proceed with the upgrade?
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=60503&p=271836&hilit=ubuntu+12#p271836

Return to “Installation and Upgrade”