How to uninstall software

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
5119wayne

Postby 5119wayne » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:16 pm

I would like to re-install the software. What are the steps to completely de-install the product.
Thanks.

marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Postby marcmac » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:20 pm

[quote user="5119wayne"]I would like to re-install the software. What are the steps to completely de-install the product.
Thanks.[/QUOTE]
./install.sh -u
rmvg
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Postby rmvg » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:56 pm

I have done full uninstall a couple of times with the -u switch as listed in the docs. Seems to remove all user info is there a way to reinstall zimbra without destroy all the user info?
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Postby marcmac » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:06 pm

[quote user="rmvg"]I have done full uninstall a couple of times with the -u switch as listed in the docs. Seems to remove all user info is there a way to reinstall zimbra without destroy all the user info?[/QUOTE]
Do you not want to remove the zimbra user from /etc/passwd, or the users created in the zimbra system?
If the latter, you can't really de-install the software completely without removing the ldap db, and the message store.
It is, however, possible to re-run the installer, which will allow you to reconfigure the system (and will remove and re-install the rpms).
rmvg
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Postby rmvg » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:40 pm

Thanks reinstall that is all i needed to know. :)
rmvg
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Postby rmvg » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:41 pm

wait a minute did i read that last post right can i reinstall without blowing away already created users. Not the zimbra user.
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Postby marcmac » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:39 am

[quote user="rmvg"]wait a minute did i read that last post right can i reinstall without blowing away already created users. Not the zimbra user.[/QUOTE]
To do this, run the install script - it will offer you the chance to upgrade (a misnomer, since you're installing the same version) - this will remove and re-install the packages.
This may not do what you want, though, since it re-uses the same configuration data (my previous post was incorrect). The installation/configuration process is something we're currently looking at - we'd like to make the configuration stuff more friendly, and reproducible (so you can reconfig the system any time).
(Any installation features you'd like to see - please post them!)
What are you trying to accomplish with the reinstall? Perhaps there's a less intrusive method.
rmvg
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Postby rmvg » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:35 pm

[quote user="marcmac"]To do this, run the install script - it will offer you the chance to upgrade (a misnomer, since you're installing the same version) - this will remove and re-install the packages.
This may not do what you want, though, since it re-uses the same configuration data (my previous post was incorrect). The installation/configuration process is something we're currently looking at - we'd like to make the configuration stuff more friendly, and reproducible (so you can reconfig the system any time).
(Any installation features you'd like to see - please post them!)
What are you trying to accomplish with the reinstall? Perhaps there's a less intrusive method.[/QUOTE]
Just wanted to switch to https but this question has already been graceously answered for me.

Return to “Installation and Upgrade”