Any had success in Virtual Hosting?

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
wsk

Postby wsk » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:14 am

Thanks for the immediate Reply Raj.
It's good to know that you were able to implement user and list modification using Zimbra's API's. I was thinking of going a slightly different direction by figuring out how exactly Virtualmin and zimbra authenticate against LDAP and then connect the 2 from that point.
I'm envisioning a system where Virtual/Web-min and zimbra co-exist with users created in either interface being made available to the other also.
This made possible by running off the same LDAP server or setting up a schema translator of some kind that syncs the two directories if seperate.. I don't know yet, and may be headed down the wrong path..
Kannan

13445raj
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Postby 13445raj » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:35 am

Hi..Connecting to any Zimbra backend diretly..LDAP or Files or MySql to integrate any external system is BAD idea. As zimbra keep changing everyday and you will not be able ot keep up with the changes and in long run your system will break or you will give up on it.
If you use SOAP API then most of the time zimbra developers try to keep API backward compatible as they also use the SAME API in there web client.
That is my professional developer opinion.

Raj.
wsk

Postby wsk » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:18 pm

Hi Raj,
Thanks for the info. I'm a complete newbie and am just beginning to get my feet wet here, so your advice is very welcome!
I have yet to spend the time and get the server up and running to experiment (will prbly happen this weekend or next). You can bet that I'll be back with findings/questions after that.
Thanks again.
Kannan

[quote user="13445raj"]Hi..Connecting to any Zimbra backend diretly..LDAP or Files or MySql to integrate any external system is BAD idea. As zimbra keep changing everyday and you will not be able ot keep up with the changes and in long run your system will break or you will give up on it.
If you use SOAP API then most of the time zimbra developers try to keep API backward compatible as they also use the SAME API in there web client.
That is my professional developer opinion.

Raj.[/QUOTE]
andreychek
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby andreychek » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:14 am

[quote user="wsk"]I am considering getting something like a virtualmin+zimbra setup going. I see from the thread that you were looking at the same too a while ago. Were you able to make any headway here? Or did you find another solution that works?[/QUOTE]

Hey there,
Well, the bad news is that as of yet, no, I haven't created a neato way of integrating Zimbra with Webmin.
I do, however, currently use Webmin/Virtualmin alongside Zimbra, on the same box. They play nicely (I just disabled the email aspect of Virtualmin).
What that means is that I have to manually create accounts in Zimbra. That's obviously not ideal, but that's what I have at the moment :-)
A buddy of mine and I were recently discussing the idea, and he's in the same predicament. We haven't written a single line of code, but we both agreed that we'd like to create a Zimbra mail module for webmin. We setup a project at Lauchpad:

I">https://launchpad.net/webmin-zimbra
I
assure you I'll post it in the forums if/when it ever works :-) The catch is just sitting down and writing it all!
It's perfectly do-able though, and our plan is to just utilize Zimbra's SOAP API.

-Eric
Peter Loron

Postby Peter Loron » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:49 pm

Eric: Any progress on your Webmin/Virtualmin plugin for Zimbra?
I've got a Virtualmin machine that I'd love to load Zimbra on. Right now I'm thinking of running Zimbra in a separate VM, but then the accounts aren't integrated, etc...
Thanks.
-Pete
andreychek
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby andreychek » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:32 pm

Hi Peter,
Unfortunately, time has just gotten in the way of working on neat projects like that.
Yeah, having the Virtualmin control panel integration would be nice!
At the moment though both my buddy and I manually create email accounts in Zimbra and use Virtualmin for managing all the other goodies.

-Eric
Peter Loron

Postby Peter Loron » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:10 am

What did you wind up having to do in order to get Virtualmin and Zimbra to play nice?
Currently the machine I have up and running is a Ubuntu 8.04 server, and I have postfix, dovecot, apache, mysql, etc all deployed and working under Virtualmin for several virtual domains.
I'd love to be able to simply install Zimbra and only need to manually create accounts there, but normally Zimbra installs configured versions of those daemons...wouldn't that totally break Virtualmin?
Thanks!

Return to “Installation and Upgrade”