Installing Zimbra on other OS

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby phoenix » Tue May 23, 2006 8:20 am

First of all, if you can't get to the login or admin page(?) then tomcat is likely to not be running. Do a 'su - zimbra' & 'zmcontrol status' and confirm that all the services are running, if they're not have a look at the install logs and zimbra logs to see if it was installed OK & what happend.
There's no more comprehensive than the current install documentation. What do you mean by 'kills' your MySQL server? There's no reason that I know of why Zimbra would affect your MySQL installation. This page lists the ports that Zimbra uses and as you can see, it doesn't use standard MySQL ports.
You didn't answer about the specs of the hardware you're using, also is this on a real machine rather than a VM?

Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

If you'd like to see this implemented in a future version of ZCS then please vote on Bugzilla entries 97706 & 108168
10426neilp

Postby 10426neilp » Tue May 23, 2006 8:39 am

We are using a machine (About 20ft away from me) That hosts a lot of domains.

Plesk8 is installed on the machine and the hardware requirements are more then met.
When I install Zimbra the currently installed MySQL and Apache stop working.

Both prosses are stil running when I use the ps command, but when I try to use the database through other projects I get MySQL errors.

Also, the ports Zimbra uses are already used on the machine (http is port 80) and it gets a conflict.I've changed the Zimbra ports that I have access to, but it still doesn't work. When I type the zmcontrol status command (as the zimbra user) it waits and then goes back to the prompt.Nothing is displayed.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby phoenix » Tue May 23, 2006 9:40 am

[quote user="10426neilp"]We are using a machine (About 20ft away from me) That hosts a lot of domains.

Plesk8 is installed on the machine and the hardware requirements are more then met.[/QUOTE]

That still doesn't tell me what the spec of the machine is. It may be adequate for your current set-up but it may not be adequate if you're adding Zimbra on top of everything else thats installed.
[quote user="10426neilp"]When I install Zimbra the currently installed MySQL and Apache stop working.

Both prosses are stil running when I use the ps command, but when I try to use the database through other projects I get MySQL errors.

Also, the ports Zimbra uses are already used on the machine (http is port 80) and it gets a conflict.I've changed the Zimbra ports that I have access to, but it still doesn't work. When I type the zmcontrol status command (as the zimbra user) it waits and then goes back to the prompt.Nothing is displayed.[/QUOTE]

So you're saying that you have other processes on this server that are using the ports in the list I gave you earlier? If they are you either need to put zimbra on a dedicated server or change the ports zimbra uses.
Is there anything in your install log that shows any problem during install or the /var/log/zimbra.log to indicate any problem when you start zimbra?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

If you'd like to see this implemented in a future version of ZCS then please vote on Bugzilla entries 97706 & 108168
mlategan

Postby mlategan » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:55 pm

[quote user="10426neilp"]We are using a machine (About 20ft away from me) That hosts a lot of domains.

Plesk8 is installed on the machine and the hardware requirements are more then met.
When I install Zimbra the currently installed MySQL and Apache stop working.

Also, the ports Zimbra uses are already used on the machine (http is port 80) and it gets a conflict.I've changed the Zimbra ports that I have access to, but it still doesn't work. When I type the zmcontrol status command (as the zimbra user) it waits and then goes back to the prompt.Nothing is displayed.[/QUOTE]
The problem I found with Zimbra and other packages is that Zimbra modifies your ld cache. That is /etc/ld.so.conf. This means that your OS stock mysql and apache will try to link to the Zimbra libraries in /opt/zimbra.
My workaround: edit you init scripts in /etc/init.d and add:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib
and then restart.
For Apache, include it in the environment:
ENV="env -i LANG=C PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib"
apatosaur.9

Postby apatosaur.9 » Thu May 17, 2007 6:01 am

[quote user="10426neilp"]

I want to integrate Zimbra with SugarCRM (Your post on that helped alot)

And then I want to integrate Zimbra with Funambol. (Would you have any ideas on that)

Neil[/QUOTE]
anyone gotten this right yet? :confused:

Return to “Installation and Upgrade”