Findings: Upgrade 8.0.7 to 8.7.n (Centos 6.5)

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
JDunphy
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.7.11_P14 RHEL6 Network Edition

Re: Findings: Upgrade 8.0.7 to 8.7.n (Centos 6.5)

Postby JDunphy » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:42 pm

cyber7 wrote:I am in the process of upgrading and am at the last stage of the installation. (Migrating mboxgroupXX) You will see that I have had to get over a couple of hurdles, but your input will be valuable for anyone stuck with the dilemma of having to upgrade.

Oh my. I just read through some of the things that happened to you. We have all been there.

The biggest issue is proxy/memcache and if that software was installed previously but perhaps disabled. If that is the case, things tend to go really well and you can incrementally verify a working 8.6 or earlier with proxy, etc before moving to 8.7+.
Most times, the single machine installs didn't have the required software installed so just following the recommendation and enabling them will fail should you try and verify a working 8.6 with proxy enabled before proceeding. The good news if you take a leap of faith, do the commands to enable them so that the 8.7+ upgrade can proceed while verifying that nginx/memcache have 'Y' during your install/update you should be ok.

Here are my PRE-INSTALL notes to 8.6+ ... I apply all the 8.6+ patches first, update centos and restart zimbra to make sure I have a working 8.6+ environment before proceeding with the proxy step and upgrade step.

Follow this: https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Enabling_Zimbra_Proxy_and_memcached#Using_existing_servers

Code: Select all

# Enable nginx.
# https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Enabling_Zimbra_Proxy_and_memcached#Using_existing_servers

% zmprov ms `zmhostname` zimbraReverseProxyMailMode https
% zmprov ms `zmhostname` zimbraMailReferMode reverse-proxied
% zmprov ms `zmhostname` zimbraReverseProxyHttpEnabled TRUE

% ./libexec/zmproxyconfig -e -w -o -a 8080:80:8443:443 -x https -H `zmhostname`
% ./libexec/zmproxyconfig -e -m -o -i 7143:143:7993:993 -p 7110:110:7995:995 -H `zmhostname`

Then I restart zimbra again... note if you don't have nginx installed, this will fail with scary messages about nginx configuration problems. The solution is to proceed to installing 8.7+ if that is your destination. I have done it both ways but now just go directly to 8.7.1 and bypassed 8.7.

Here are my POST-INSTALL notes on 8.7+ of what I was looking for:

1) Verify this... login again after install 8.7+ to get new environmental variables before doing this.

zmprov mcf zimbraMtaCommandDirectory /opt/zimbra/common/sbin
zmprov mcf zimbraMtaDaemonDirectory /opt/zimbra/common/libexec
zmprov mcf zimbraMtaMailqPath /opt/zimbra/common/sbin/mailq
zmprov mcf zimbraMtaManpageDirectory /opt/zimbra/common/share/man
zmprov mcf zimbraMtaNewaliasesPath /opt/zimbra/common/sbin/newaliases
zmprov mcf zimbraMtaSendmailPath /opt/zimbra/common/sbin/sendmail

2) verfy mysql_errors
3) ldap checksum errors
4) logging/stats
5) crontab entries (backup)
6) skin change for hotrod
7) Fix service ports for zimbra console

zmprov mcf zimbraPublicServiceHostname mail.example.com
zmprov md example.com zimbraPublicServicePort 443
zmprov md example.net zimbraPublicServicePort 443
zmprov md example.com zimbraPublicServiceProtocol https
zmprov md example.net zimbraPublicServiceProtocol https
zmmailboxdctl restart

# allow /opt/zimbra/log/audit.log to show correct client ip address
# because we are now behind proxy.
% zmprov mcf +zimbraMailTrustedIP 127.0.0.1 +zimbraMailTrustedIP X.X.X.X
% zmmailboxdctl restart

Verify SSL certs and settings to secure

I do like this release quite a bit now but we were not friends for a few days when I was struggling. :-)

cyber7
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: Release 9.0.0_GA_3924.RHEL7_64_2020

Postby cyber7 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:22 pm

Ju p, been quite a long night!

The thing that ticks me off is this (Zimbra) used to be an awesome product with awesome people who helped one another. The only person I still recognize from way-back is Bill.

• The sell of the original Zimbra to vmWare and then to Trillion was an abortion.
  • The then "social" software the Zimbra customers were forced onto was a mess.
  • The move back to BBS-Style-Forums was a plus, but no-one knew about it.
Zimbra should start playing the game and notify all the Forum users the utility was back. I remember getting about 100+ new messages and answers every day. Now, 7 if you are lucky. That, in my books mean Zimbra is dying a slow death and needs to URGENTLY look at their customer-base and image, which there is none off at this moment in time.

I just hope they, Zimbra, is reading this...
cyber7
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby cyber7 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:40 am

I am running through the installation again as a last effort. I am getting a lot of Java errors.

No access to Webmail/Zimbra Admin console.

Mailbox is not running...
jorgedlcruz
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Postby jorgedlcruz » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:56 am

What errors you see on mailbox.log?

Best regards
Jorge de la Cruz https://jorgedelacruz.es
Systems Engineer at Veeam Software https://www.veeam.com/
cyber7
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby cyber7 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:32 am

jorgedlcruz wrote:What errors you see on mailbox.log?

Best regards

Hi Jorge
I am busy restoring the system back to 8.0.7. I will once everything is up and running try this again and inform you.

Unfortunately it is 03:30 and I need to get some sleep. I am actually very disappointed in this installation, as I was looking so forward to it...

kind regards
cyber7 (aka Aubrey Kloppers; Cape town; South Africa)
JDunphy
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.7.11_P14 RHEL6 Network Edition

Postby JDunphy » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:21 pm

I noticed that you had to disable secure connections for ldap which I assume was for your SSL/CERTS???

I think you said you did this to get something working so you could move on.

zmlocalconfig -e ldap_starttls_supported=0
zmlocalconfig -e ldap_starttls_required=false
zmcontrol restart

If ldap is not coming up or zimbra can not connect to it for security reasons (certs,etc)... that is one way that I know to make it look like the zimbra world is ending with failures from many daemons and lots of scary messages. I have done this a few times as I am currently working on that zmcertmgr perl script to extend it for some stuff I am doing here and have seen broken a few times as a result. ;-)

I don't know where you are in the process but that might be a place I would start if CERTS are still a problem. Should be lots of information in the logs. I believe the /tmp holds the install logs until it finishes and moves it to /opt/zimbra/zmsetup*. You might be able to look inside those logs to see where it is failing.

Another option is to take 8.0.7 right to the last update for that product version (ie. 8.0.9)??? ... before moving to the last 8.6 upgrade version... before 8.7.1 ... I generally do the last patch because I assume that is what zimbra staff tested most against with those last patches. Just a thought.
cyber7
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby cyber7 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:38 pm

At this stage I am just trying to get my system back to where it was. 18 hours later and I am still stuck.

I believe the reason I am stuck is because the DB is in 8.7.1 format and I am trying to get 8.0.7 back. I have made a copy (after the fact) and dumped the data backup ok.

The problem is that I was unaware that the sql database does not get backed up with a vm snapshot, nor the mailboxes...

Return to “Installation and Upgrade”