Fresh 8.8.12_GA_3794 Install - Network Modules NG missing in admin console

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
DavidMerrill
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.11 P3

Fresh 8.8.12_GA_3794 Install - Network Modules NG missing in admin console

Postby DavidMerrill » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:56 pm

Fired up a fresh install of 8.8.12_GA_3794 on Ubuntu 16.04, all seemed well but on login I did not find the "Zimbra Network" menu choice in the administrative console (even through I saw that it was going to get installed - "Enabling zimbra network NG modules features" scrolled by on install so there was no concerns there at the time).

Has anyone else run into this? I did find one post here seemingly related:

- viewtopic.php?f=13&t=65924#p289445

Where pup_seba mentions:

- Issue 8
- zextras was not enabled even when it was enabled during install
In this case, if we "zmprov gacf zimbraNetworkModulesNGEnabled", the value was set to TRUE, yet, at a server level (zmprov gs), the value was set to "FALSE". The sympthom was the lack of the zimlet in the adminUI, and an error saying no server available when doing a "zxsuite core getservices".
--> The fix was to simply modify the value to TRUE at a server level and restart.

but for me zimbraNetworkModulesNGEnabled was set to TRUE both globally & at the server level and "zxsuite core getservices" reports:

Code: Select all

zimbra@webmail:~$ zxsuite core getservices

services
            module
                could_start                                                 false
                could_stop                                                  true
                running                                                     true
            logging
            api-manager
            zxlink-connection-pool
            account-config-migration
            task-scheduler
            error-soap-handler
            operation-log
            operation-manager
            zextras-soap-backend
            sentry-log-sender
                could_not_start_because                                     Error log is not enabled
                could_stop                                                  false
                running                                                     false
            zextras-zimlet-autodeploy
            client-zimlet-autodeploy
            scheduled-activities

which seems OK (looks like it's there - of course the error regarding sentry-log-sender should be chased down).

It occurred to me that flushing the zimlet cache might do the trick ("zmprov fc zimlet" & a service restart) but no joy (besides I think I was just reaching).

I'm getting the impression that I've got a broken install, but holding out hope that I might just need to re-enable something.

Anyway, working the logs now, and I thought I'd share.

Thanks in advance for any consideration.
Last edited by DavidMerrill on Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

DavidMerrill
Advanced member
Advanced member

Re: Fresh 8.8.12_GA_3794 Install - Network Modules NG missing in admin console

Postby DavidMerrill » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:27 pm

OK, it's starting to look like a license activation issue (ugh), which seems like a plausible explanation for not showing the NG tools.

More in a bit.
DavidMerrill
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby DavidMerrill » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:00 pm

Well that'd do it:

zimbra@webmail:~$ zmlicense --check
license not activated for 8.8.12_GA_3794

I supplied a "valid" (not expired) during install but have not been prompted to activate in the UI AND now I see that the "Configure >> License" option in the Admin UI is also missing (which is concerning).

Anyway I'll chase that all down & report in.
pup_seba
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Postby pup_seba » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:15 pm

It happened to me once or twice that even installing specifying a valid license, I needed to manually install it later on and/or seeing "not valid license" during installation.

Can you actiate it via "zmlicense -a" command?

Weird thing imho, is that even when no license is active, the zimlet should be visible right?
fs.schmidt
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby fs.schmidt » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:19 pm

Hello David,

I had the same issue a few months ago with a different version and I've followed the steps sent by Zimbra Support to solve this case:

zmzimletctl undeploy com_zextras_zextras
zmzimletctl undeploy com_zextras_client
yum remove zimbra-network-modules-ng
zmmailboxdctl restart

"Once the above steps are done, then you need to run the installer and select the NG module to be installed."

I hope you find another solution without having to run the installer again.

Best regards.
Fabio S. Schmidt.
pup_seba
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Postby pup_seba » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:25 pm

I would try first, to only do the zimlet part, instead of the service which seems to be running. Does it make sense? I've never tried it myself, but I guess it should be possible to just reinstall the zimlet withouth having to re-run a whole installation (i hope).
DavidMerrill
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby DavidMerrill » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:02 pm

Finally getting back to trouble-shooting this (haven't taken any steps yet).

Meant to share this as well earlier (which spoke to my activation concerns):

zimbra@webmail:~$ zxsuite core getLicenseInfo

dateStart                                           2018-06-30 20:00:00 EDT
        dateEnd                                             2019-07-31 12:00:00 EDT
        expired                                             false
        type                                                regular - Network Edition
        customer
        reseller
        company                                             **** REDACTED ****
        order_id                                            **** REDACTED ****
        accountCount                                        1
        licensedUsers                                       unlimited
        notYetValid                                         false
        isWithinGraceInterval                               false
        teamchatActiveCount                                 0
        modules
            ZxBackup
                quantity                                                    none
                licensed                                                    false
            ZxMobile
            ZxAdmin
            ZxChat
            ZxPowerstore
                enabledOnNE                                                 false
            ZxDrive
        serverID                                            **** REDACTED ****
        canRemoveChatBrand                                  false

Fabio, when you ran into your issue did you happen to run this "getLicenseInfo" command?
Last edited by DavidMerrill on Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavidMerrill
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby DavidMerrill » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:48 pm

Took a stab at activating the license at the CLI, now it's looking better:

zimbra@webmail:~$ zmlicense --activate
zimbra@webmail:~$ date
Sat Apr  6 17:13:58 EDT 2019
zimbra@webmail:~$ zmcontrol stop ; echo "Sleeping 5 seconds..." ; sleep 5 ; zmcontrol start
Host **** REDACTED ****
        Stopping vmware-ha...Done.
        Stopping zmconfigd...Done.
        Stopping zimlet webapp...Done.
        Stopping zimbraAdmin webapp...Done.
        Stopping zimbra webapp...Done.
        Stopping service webapp...Done.
        Stopping stats...Done.
        Stopping mta...Done.
        Stopping spell...Done.
        Stopping snmp...Done.
        Stopping cbpolicyd...Done.
        Stopping archiving...Done.
        Stopping opendkim...Done.
        Stopping amavis...Done.
        Stopping antivirus...Done.
        Stopping antispam...Done.
        Stopping proxy...Done.
        Stopping memcached...Done.
        Stopping mailbox...Done.
        Stopping convertd...Done.
        Stopping logger...Done.
        Stopping dnscache...Done.
        Stopping ldap...Done.
Sleeping 5 seconds...
Host **** REDACTED ****
        Starting ldap...Done.
        Starting zmconfigd...Done.
        Starting logger...Done.
        Starting convertd...Done.
        Starting mailbox...Done.
        Starting memcached...Done.
        Starting proxy...Done.
        Starting amavis...Done.
        Starting antispam...Done.
        Starting antivirus...Done.
        Starting opendkim...Done.
        Starting snmp...Done.
        Starting spell...Done.
        Starting mta...Done.
        Starting stats...Done.
        Starting service webapp...Done.
        Starting zimbra webapp...Done.
        Starting zimbraAdmin webapp...Done.
        Starting zimlet webapp...Done.
zimbra@webmail:~$ zmlicense --check
license is OK
zimbra@webmail:~$ zmprov fc zimlet
zimbra@webmail:~$ zxsuite core getLicenseInfo

dateStart                                           2018-06-30 20:00:00 EDT
        dateEnd                                             2019-07-31 12:00:00 EDT
        expired                                             false
        type                                                regular - Network Edition
        customer
        reseller
        company                                             **** REDACTED ****
        order_id                                            **** REDACTED ****
        accountCount                                        1
        licensedUsers                                       40000
        notYetValid                                         false
        isWithinGraceInterval                               false
        teamchatActiveCount                                 0
        modules
            ZxBackup
                quantity                                                    40000
                licensed                                                    true
            ZxMobile
                quantity                                                    10000
            ZxAdmin
            ZxChat
            ZxPowerstore
                enabledOnNE                                                 false
            ZxDrive
        serverID                                            **** REDACTED ****
        canRemoveChatBrand                                  true

but I'm still not seeing "Zimbra Network" menu choice in the administrative console (which leads me to consider redeploying the related zimlets).
DavidMerrill
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby DavidMerrill » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:29 pm

Sorted!

Followed this wiki article:

- https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Reinstall_ ... Extensions

exactly & now I have the "Zimbra Network" menu choice in the administrative console (and the Configure >> License" option in the Admin UI that WAS missing is now available).

Post-Game-Analysis:

- My (formerly-possibly-disavowed) Zimbra license is actually cool and was simply not properly activated (to be fair - not sure why)
- The usual zimlets one would expect to have after (an apparent) successful install were "not right" (admin UI elements missing)
- Discovered that the license was not "activated"
- Activating the license via the CLI worked
- Completely un-deploying all zimlets and then re-deploying them brought us back to a blessed state in the UI
fs.schmidt
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby fs.schmidt » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:37 pm

Hello David,

Thank you for sharing the solution and congrats for the persistence. I'm happy to know that you have solved this issue.

Best regards.
Fabio S. Schmidt

Return to “Installation and Upgrade”