Web Admin and SMTP submission problems after server move+upgrade

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
djbell

Web Admin and SMTP submission problems after server move+upgrade

Postby djbell » Wed May 29, 2019 5:42 pm

Hey all, I did what seems to be a sloppy job migrating and upgrading Zimbra FOSS. I was running on Ubuntu 14.04LTS and rsynced it to a different Ubuntu 16.04LTS server, then "upgraded" from 8.8.8 to 8.8.8 using the Ubuntu 16 package. There were some errors but skipped checks on installation and everything seemed to work for the most part. I fixed the obvious IP issues and everything tested well with the web client. Incoming mail works fine.

Unfortunately I soon found out that people aren't able to send mail via SMTP submission (most users use 587/TLS), and mail to users on the same server was not working.

I thought that maybe my installation had problems, so I upgraded to the latest 8.8.12 and everything tested and upgraded seemingly well.

Unfortunately, we still can't send e-mail via SMTP (we just got immediate login failures), and now I can't connect to the web admin interface. It gets stuck at "loading." I even tried from localhost. I searched here and the web for solutions but though this has happened to some people, those ideas didn't work for me.

I need help. I don't even know what logs to check. I did a 'zmprov gacf' and made sure to fix everything to make sure it's correct for the local environment. I have a feeling I'm missing something obvious but maybe I'm too tired and just need a kind push in the right direction. Please help if you can!

Thank you,
Daniel

L. Mark Stone
Elite member
Elite member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.12 Network Edition

Re: Web Admin and SMTP submission problems after server move+upgrade

Postby L. Mark Stone » Wed May 29, 2019 8:23 pm

djbell wrote:Hey all, I did what seems to be a sloppy job migrating and upgrading Zimbra FOSS. I was running on Ubuntu 14.04LTS and rsynced it to a different Ubuntu 16.04LTS server, then "upgraded" from 8.8.8 to 8.8.8 using the Ubuntu 16 package. There were some errors but skipped checks on installation and everything seemed to work for the most part. I fixed the obvious IP issues and everything tested well with the web client. Incoming mail works fine.

Unfortunately I soon found out that people aren't able to send mail via SMTP submission (most users use 587/TLS), and mail to users on the same server was not working.

I thought that maybe my installation had problems, so I upgraded to the latest 8.8.12 and everything tested and upgraded seemingly well.

Unfortunately, we still can't send e-mail via SMTP (we just got immediate login failures), and now I can't connect to the web admin interface. It gets stuck at "loading." I even tried from localhost. I searched here and the web for solutions but though this has happened to some people, those ideas didn't work for me.

I need help. I don't even know what logs to check. I did a 'zmprov gacf' and made sure to fix everything to make sure it's correct for the local environment. I have a feeling I'm missing something obvious but maybe I'm too tired and just need a kind push in the right direction. Please help if you can!

Thank you,
Daniel

If you mean that your users can't send via SMTP-Auth, try running the following zmprov command:

Code: Select all

zmprov gcf zimbraMtaSmtpdSenderLoginMaps

If you get no output from the above, then we need to tell Postfix where to look for users who should be allowed to authenticate:

zmprov mcf zimbraMtaSmtpdSenderLoginMaps "proxy:ldap:/opt/zimbra/conf/ldap-slm.cf"
zmmtactl restart

After that, you should be good to go.

Hope that helps,
Mark
djbell

Postby djbell » Wed May 29, 2019 8:42 pm

Thanks Mark!

That seems to have gotten rid of a lot of the errors and mail seems to be flowing. I'll run some further tests and report back, but I'm definitely able to send outbound now from regular mail clients.

As for the problem with the admin page, that seemed to be an issue with Zextras, which apparently didn't survive the upgrade too well. I was using Zextras Mobile and another engineer pointed me to a similar Zimbra web issue. I've uninstalled it and am now able to access web admin. I'll try installing it after hours to see if I get it working again.

I'll report back with more notes if I find anything else and this might help figure sloppy upgrades out there. :)

Thanks again for the save.
djbell

Postby djbell » Wed May 29, 2019 10:28 pm

I'm making progress, but still need help. Outbound and oddly, some inbound seems to be working. However local delivery for most users isn't working at all since the move. I have no idea why it worked for me most of the day. I have an external MTA, and see that it's delivering things to my server, but they are just sitting in the queue.

I'm getting lots of these:

May 29 18:23:26 mail postfix/smtp[13632]: fatal: specify a password table via the `smtp_sasl_password_maps' configuration parameter
May 29 18:23:27 mail postfix/master[26822]: warning: process /opt/zimbra/common/libexec/smtp pid 13632 exit status 1
May 29 18:23:27 mail postfix/master[26822]: warning: /opt/zimbra/common/libexec/smtp: bad command startup -- throttling

I can't find a configuration option that reflects this particular "password table" problem, and don't know if this is the problem—it certainly sounds a lot what Mark mentioned, but I've restarted the server (and tweaked, and restarted, and tweaked) to no avail.

Any other ideas?

Return to “Installation and Upgrade”