Dns

Looking to migrate to ZCS? Ask here. Got a great tip or script that helped you migrate? Post it here.
bproctor

Dns

Postby bproctor » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:05 am

This may be a dumb question, I'm pretty new to all this. I have a mail server running on a shared web host. We receive mail from several different domain names. I am trying to set up a mail server here at our office using Zimbra. I'm not sure how to setup the new mail server so that I can test it out without changing the DNS. Of course, I don't want to change the DNS until I know it is working. And I would like to have as little down time while making the transition as possible.
I've got Zimba installed on the mail server using a DynDNS.org address temporarily. It can send but cannot receive. I'm not really sure where to go from here. Could someone please point me in the right direction.
Thanks,

Brad

bproctor

Dns

Postby bproctor » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:13 pm

I have setup an MX record for a subdomain like mail.example.com to point to my IP address. Zimbra will send email fine, but I can't recieve.
bproctor

Dns

Postby bproctor » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:03 pm

working my way through, when trying to receive a message I get the following error in the logs:
host or domain name not found

Name service error for name webmail.allwedo.com type=A: host found but no data record of request type.
I'm a newbie with DNS stuff. Not exactly sure what to do next.
/etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1 localhost

192.168.0.117 webmail.allwedo.com
I have an MX record for webmail.allwedo.com that points to my ISP assignment IP address and my router directs port 25 to 192.168.0.117
I don't know what else to do...
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Brad
rslrdx

Dns

Postby rslrdx » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:51 am

Hi, i'm no expert here but i got the same basic problem, can recieve mail, in your case it looks like you need to setup a split dns server, so that when zimbra checks the dns server it will see the internal ip address instead of the public ip address.
just wondering,

What service are you using from dyndns?

Do you have an static IP address?

Is your port 25 open on the ISP?

what is the output of telnet if you try to connecto to your server on port 25 from outside? e.g. telnet mail.dyndnsdomain.com 25
split dns wiki

http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?title=Split_dns

Return to “Migration”