Zimbra upgrade

Looking to migrate to ZCS? Ask here. Got a great tip or script that helped you migrate? Post it here.
k_k

Zimbra upgrade

Postby k_k » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:09 am

Hi,
We are using ZCS 4.5.10 version on RHEL5 - 64 bit in production environment and one domain is working fine. SMTP relay has been configured on different server.
First time i am going to work on zimbra. I found that we are using very old version and latest version is zcs 5.

Can you please tell me what are the additional features it has than the old one ?
I searched on net and found that to upgrade this version, I have to only select upgrade ..that's it and it will automatically upgrade .
Is this that easy ? How much downtime it will required ? Is there any possibility to loose data, contacts ? what steps client need to do at there end after upgrade?
Thanks,
Kanchi

uxbod
Ambassador
Ambassador

Zimbra upgrade

Postby uxbod » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:35 am

First thing take a backup! In fact take a couple of backups ;) The time to upgrade will very much be dependant on how many mailboxes you have and how much data. Is this a single or multi server install ? If multi then I would recommend upgrading to 4.5.11 first and then too 5.0.11. If single, then you can just run the install script for 5.0.11 and all should be good. With respect to new features then there are lots :D
k_k

Zimbra upgrade

Postby k_k » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:04 pm

Thanks for the reply.
we have around 200 accounts. And as I have mentioned in production environemnt we have 2 servers where zimbra has been installed. One of it has been used for SMTP relay. so pls suggest.
We have one test enviornment so I can test upgrade on that. :)
And one more question. how many domain we can configure in zimbra ? as in near future we have to configure multiple domain in one server to support different client.
Thanks
uxbod
Ambassador
Ambassador

Zimbra upgrade

Postby uxbod » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:11 am

I believe you shall need to upgrade to 4.5.11 first, and then upto 5.0.11. With respect to domains you can run thousands, but remember to check your system resources aswell.
k_k

Zimbra upgrade

Postby k_k » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:37 am

Thanks for quick response. i will upgrade in test environment and will update here.

Return to “Migration”