Migrating Outlook PST archives to Zimbra Desktop (best practice)

Looking to migrate to ZCS? Ask here. Got a great tip or script that helped you migrate? Post it here.
7531prashant
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Postby 7531prashant » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:31 am

[QUOTE]Can I import PST in specific folder inside mailbox?[/QUOTE] No You can not.

apatosaur.9

Postby apatosaur.9 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:06 am

[quote user="10330phoenix"]Why not? Storage space is inexpensive and there doesn't seem any reason to me that you can't keep the mail on the server.[/QUOTE]
... in providing a reason why one might not want "all" mail on the server.
I agree entirely with the logic of Bill's statement, but I have clients running Outlook whose profiles crash frequently when their mailboxes exceed 20GB. The "Outlook" way to resolve this, is to use its "auto-archive" feature. I should mention here, that there is no stability issue when using the zimbra web interface on mailboxes that size (search is still super quick). The problem is just outlook and I wish I could get them off it, but it isn't technically feasible at this time.
apatosaur.9

Postby apatosaur.9 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:09 am

A long work-around for dealing with zimbra Desktop (which is heading to E-O-L)
1) Import all mail onto server.

2) Use import/export in web-mail preferences, to export a subset of the data.

3) Then import that data into ZDesktop (it will appear as a separate folder tree)

4) Then delete the exported data from the server via a mailbox search to find the same data exported in (2).

... another option would be to do (1) above, then use POP3 to pull all mail down to a mail client like thunderbird, to get the data back off the server.
(both work-arounds are tedious)

Return to “Migration”