[SOLVED] Using imapsync and Zimbra

Looking to migrate to ZCS? Ask here. Got a great tip or script that helped you migrate? Post it here.
myriad
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: Zimbra 8.7.0_GA_1659.FOSS

Postby myriad » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:49 pm

I ran imapsync from my /root/Desktop/imapsync-1.99 folder and it (apparently) worked successfuly. The trouble is the imported email & associated folders do not show up on the Zimbra Server! Imapsync (or Zimbra) has imported the mail into "/home/rick/mail".
How do you get the imported Imap to show up in the target users account? Am I running Imapsync from the wrong location or what??
Regards,
Rick

bonoboslr
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby bonoboslr » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:42 pm

Are you sure that you are not already running an IMAP server other than the Zimbra IMAP server?
myriad
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby myriad » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:13 pm

Not on the linux machine. I am copying the accounts from an IMAP server on a Win 3k server...
dNb

Postby dNb » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:30 am

[quote] THE TROUBLE IS THE IMPORTED EMAIL & ASSOCIATED FOLDERS DO NOT SHOW UP ON THE ZIMBRA SERVER! IMAPSYNC (OR ZIMBRA) HAS IMPORTED THE MAIL INTO "/HOME/RICK/MAIL".
HOW DO YOU GET THE IMPORTED IMAP TO SHOW UP IN THE TARGET USERS ACCOUNT? [/QUOTE]
WE USE IMAPSYNC AS OUR PRIMARY MIGRATION TOOL HERE AND I HAVE RECENTLY MIGRATED A TON OF USERS SO I'M PRETTY SURE I KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON FOR YOU.
THERE ARE TWO THINGS IN PLAY HERE:

• THE WAY THE DATA WAS IMPORTED (I.E. THE NAME/PATH OF THE FOLDER ON ZIMBRA)

• YOUR IMAP CLIENT'S PATH PREFIX OR SERVER DIRECTORY OR MAIL ROOT (EACH CLIENT CALLS IT SOMETHING DIFFERENT)

FOR #1: IN ALMOST ALL CASES YOU WANT TO MOVE SOMEONE'S MAIL SO IT ALL APPEARS AT THE "TOP LEVEL" OF THEIR ZIMBRA MAILBOX LIST. IT MAKES SENSE TO HAVE A MAIL DIRECTORY IN YOUR HOME DIRECTORY FOR MAIL, BUT WHEN IT GETS TO ZIMBRA HAVING ALL THE FOLDERS BE CALLED /HOME/USER/MAIL/SOMETHING, /HOME/USER/MAIL/SOMETHING2, /HOME/MAIL/SOMETHING3, ETC... ISN'T HELPFUL. THIS MEANS YOU WILL WANT TO STRIP THAT PREFIX OFF ALL OF THE NAMES. THIS IS DONE USING THE --REGEXTRANS2 FLAG TO IMAPSYNC:
  --REGEXTRANS2 'S!^/HOME/USER/MAIL/(.+)!$1!'

#2 IN THE LIST ABOVE IS ALMOST ALWAYS A USER EDUCATION (AND A USER ERROR AFTER YOU'VE TAKEN PAINS TO LET THEM KNOW ABOUT THIS) ISSUE. THE USER WILL NEED TO RECONFIGURE HIS OR HER IMAP CLIENT TO REMOVE THE SETTING THAT TOLD THE IMAP SERVER TO LOOK IN THEIR "MAIL" DIRECTORY. YOU DIDN'T SAY IF YOUR USERS WERE USING THE WEB CLIENT OR ANOTHER IMAP CLIENT. IF, FOR EXAMPLE, THEY WERE USING THUNDERBIRD, THEY WOULD NEED TO GO TO TOOLS -> ACCOUNT SETTINGS -> SERVER SETTINGS -> {ADVANCED} -> IMAP SERVER DIRECTORY AND CLEAR THAT FIELD. (OH, AND THEY MAY WANT TO TWEAK THE PERSONAL NAMESPACE SETTINGS TOO, BUT THAT'S A "THUNDERBIRD BUG OF A DIFFERENT COLOR).
DOES THAT HELP ANY?
-- DNB
myriad
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby myriad » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:30 pm

Yay it worked. DnB you rock!!

Return to “Migration”