Mailbox size extremely large

Looking to migrate to ZCS? Ask here. Got a great tip or script that helped you migrate? Post it here.
jannik.sueltz

Postby jannik.sueltz » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:47 am

I'm just in the process to migrate our IMAP Accounts from SLOX 4.1 to Zimbra 4.5 using imapsync. Works great so far, but the the mailbox sizes differ extremely between SLOX and Zimbra, i.e. one SLOX account holds 2.1 GB - the same account after sync holds more than 8GB in Zimbra.
That makes no sense to me ... Any ideas?

phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby phoenix » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:55 am

Did you run imapsync multiple times (I'm not sure if it duplicates the mail)? Is there duplicate data in the mailbox? Does it have the same number of emails in it?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

If you'd like to see this implemented in a future version of ZCS then please vote on Bugzilla entries 97706 & 108168
jannik.sueltz

Postby jannik.sueltz » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:24 pm

[quote user="10330phoenix"]Did you run imapsync multiple times (I'm not sure if it duplicates the mail)? Is there duplicate data in the mailbox? Does it have the same number of emails in it?[/QUOTE]
Yes, I run imapsync several times. But this should be okay, because this is not just a copy-process but synchronization. I double-check this and compare the SLOX with the Zimbra account - the number of e-mails match.
Do you have any other ideas? Thanks in advance!
Rich Graves
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Postby Rich Graves » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:13 am

SLOX hasn't been maintained for a while (which is probably why you're migrating to Zimbra). I wouldn't be terribly surprised if it had counters that overflowed at 2GB. Cyrus
jholder
Zimbra Employee
Zimbra Employee

Postby jholder » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:34 am

My guess would be that slox could handle attachements differently. . .but who knows ;)
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby phoenix » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:37 am

My guess would also go with the attachments size. There's no reason (AFAIK) why the mailbox size would be larger in Zimbra than SLOX apart from message counts or attachments.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

If you'd like to see this implemented in a future version of ZCS then please vote on Bugzilla entries 97706 & 108168
jannik.sueltz

Postby jannik.sueltz » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:27 am

[quote user="Rich Graves"]SLOX hasn't been maintained for a while (which is probably why you're migrating to Zimbra). I wouldn't be terribly surprised if it had counters that overflowed at 2GB. Cyrus
Yes, SLOX based on cyrus. And our version is old (SLOX 4.1) and uses Cyrus 2.1.16. And the mailbox-sizes I'm talking about was shown inside the SLOX webinterface.
Inspired by your thoughts I double-checked the mailbox-size inside my e-mail-client Mail.app. And you are right. Mail.app show me a funny thing. It says, that I use about 1,5 GB in total, but the list below shows all single folders with sizes more than 12 GB in total.
I compared the mailbox-sizes between Zimbra and SLOX folder by folder and they within Mail.app and they are very similar.
So all my fears are causeless and my conclusion as an hint for anyone who will migrate from SLOX to Zimbra is: If you will calculate your mailbox-sizes to define the dimension for the new server, do not use the SLOX webinterface!
Thanks for you all your support!

Return to “Migration”