Logging into Multiple Accounts

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
dspillett
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby dspillett » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:24 am

[quote user="rajahd"]It appears IE7 (and possibly earlier versions - it wasn't mentioned and I don't have any to test with)[/QUOTE]
IIRC IE has worked this way at least as far back as version 4. If you open a new windows from an existing one, the two exist in the same process (and so share temporary state like session-level cookies) but if you open a new browser window by running IE from an icon (or start|run) you get a new process for that new window which won't share temporary state with any existing instances. They will share stored state (like permanent or dated cookies and files cached on disc) though.
When you run a new copy of Firefox though, you *don't* get a new process. Well, not for long. The new process is created but it detects the old one, asks it to open a new windows, then closes itself - so all your Firefox windows are in a single process as far as Windows is concerned not matter what happens.
While I would prefer to be able to run multiple instances of FF in separate processes (it would reduce the chance of errant client side code halting *all* my active windows for an age) the difference is not worth switching to IE for! I use the multiple sub-domains technique mentioned above if I need to run several copies of Zimbra which works perfectly.
As for changing the window title: you should be able to do this easily in FF using a GreaseMonkey script (though that will mean adding said plugin to your client installs). I'm told their are GreaseMonkey-like tools for IE too, though I have no experience with them.

rajahd
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby rajahd » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:53 am

I, too, would prefer to remain with FireFox. However, I'm pretty sure I would have more luck teaching a fish to breath air than getting 40 minimum wage workers to understand how to use 6+ subdomains/aliases across 7 locations in 2 states.
I will definitely look into Greasemonkey for IE. Thanks dspillett!
15317kaffemand

Postby 15317kaffemand » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:50 pm

[quote user="dspillett"]While I would prefer to be able to run multiple instances of FF in separate processes (it would reduce the chance of errant client side code halting *all* my active windows for an age) the difference is not worth switching to IE for! I use the multiple sub-domains technique mentioned above if I need to run several copies of Zimbra which works perfectly.[/QUOTE]
Use this guide to run serveral independant instances of Firefox: Running two Firefox profiles simultaneously - redemption in a blog
I would, however, prefer to just make a wildcard-subdomain *.myzimbra.example.com -> myzimbra.example.com and have the users log in to username.myzimbra.example.com.
Use this extension to change the window title of the running instances:

[URL=https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/31[/URL]
rajahd
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby rajahd » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:09 pm

That is some great information and several tricks I didn't know! I will be using the profile manager in FF for myself as it's a great way to test multiple logins simultaneously but it's still not very practical to deploy and maintain on all our computers.
The wildcard domain and having users put their name in the URL to connect (http://jsmith.email.domain.com) is brilliant in my opinion, at least for our situation. I'm not a DNS guru but that's the solution I'm going to pursue for now. The trick for having different browser titles is also very helpful.
Thanks a ton for all this feedback. After I get something working smoothly I'll post back with the results in case someone else has similar needs.
4211PeterH

Postby 4211PeterH » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:11 pm

Maybe this is way of or maybe this is so simple you overlooked it but...: reading that you want to have open (ie access) 4-6 mailboxes simulaneously implies that:

=> users walk on and of the system

=> privacy is NOT an issue since if they log-on and off to keep their privacy they could easily do this in one (or two) browserwindows.
So..: why don't you just make 1 (one!) mailbox per store with a generic address store1@domain.com.

And share out the mailboxes of your 4-6 users to that account. That way they ONLY need to remember to allways select their mailbox 'inbox' or whatever folder(s) are shared and mail will be sent with their account (and sent by store1 'on behalf off'). This works this way out of the box and should be pretty easy to manage for you? (same could be applied to calender and (eventually) tasks.
As a bonus you could setup documents/briefcase for the 'whole store' on the store1-account and could have a pretty nice 'all-in-one mailbox for all your employees' (from the users point of view that is :0)
Well.. maybe this helps,

Cheers,

Peter
rajahd
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby rajahd » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:48 pm

Hey Peter,
Good ideas. We did actually consider such a method since security is not a concern as you surmised. The issue is that associates float between stores and often have specific responsibilities (i.e., responsible for inventory transfers, cycle counts, store displays, etc). It's much easier to know who you need to send an e-mail to than figure out which store that person will be at on any given day. We also want associates to be able to access their e-mail from home which they still could with a general mailbox of course but it's less "personal".
As always thanks for the ideas. I truly appreciate it!
4211PeterH

Postby 4211PeterH » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:54 pm

well.. The access from home-part is not difficult since the individual accounts for the users still remain accessible. Depends on how long the shares-list in the storeX-boxes would need to become to get you an acceptable solution..

Anyway, good luck on this one :0)
KaneNZ

Postby KaneNZ » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:15 pm

Hi all,
I know this post is old, but for the benefit of other reading it like me ....
In firefox - you can use the CookiePie add-on to manage multi sessions. I use it for testing my web apps (i.e. impersonating multiple users at once). It requires you to "toggle on" CookiePie for each tab, and then the tab will have its own session. i.e. you can log in as if they are on separate machines. I have had some success with using this in the Zimbra webmail, you might want to give it a go (not sure if its practical for end-users though, and its also a FF-only solution if you can call it that).
Hope this helps.
Kane

Return to “Administrators”