share calendar to group

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
Artturi
Advanced member
Advanced member

share calendar to group

Postby Artturi » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:56 pm

Hello,
I've provisioned a test install of zimbra from my ldap server by creating mail accounts.
When I'm testing the calendar sharing feature, I'd like to share a calendar to a group of people but I can only enter an email address one by one.
Is this something that has already been discussed ? (I've searched a bit but found nothing)

Could this be done via a distribution list ? Or is it a planned feature ?
Regards,
Artturi

dkarp
Elite member
Elite member

share calendar to group

Postby dkarp » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:19 pm

I believe that you should already be able to share with a distribution list.
GetMeOutOfExchange

share calendar to group

Postby GetMeOutOfExchange » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:18 am

Firstly, before I go through the test process myself: Can a calendar be shared to a group as described above. (I don't like the word "believe").

If so, I don't want users to be given any option in whether or not they accept the share. I just want the share to appear for them.
Imagine this scenario:

Catbert, Evil HR Director:"I want everybody to record their holiday leave requests on our new Company Calendar"

3 days later:

Catbert: "Where is Salesman John Doe today"

Pointy Haired Boss: "On Holiday"

Catbert:"Why has this not been recorded in the calendar ?"

Pointy Haired Boss: "What Calendar ?"

Catbert:"Remember, the one I told you about 3 days ago"

Pointy Haired Boss: "We could not see any calendar in our Zimbra Interface. Let me speak to Dilbert in IT and find out why this has happened."

An hour later:

Pointy Haired Boss: "Dilbert, why can't I see the company calendar in my Zimbra Interface"

Dilbert: "You were supposed to accept the request to join the calendar that appeared in your inbox"

Pointy Haired Boss: "Oh, I saw that email. It looked a bit technical and I thought it had been sent to me by mistake - so I deleted it"

Dilbert: "You're fired for being technically incompetent"

Pointy Haired Boss: "You're fired for insubordination"
See what I mean ?
bdial
Elite member
Elite member

share calendar to group

Postby bdial » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:46 am

you can share a calendar to a distribution list, I use it in my current setup. However, it takes a bit of scripting to make it automaticly show up on someone's calendar. We created a custom script to add people from command line and you have to specify the distribution list as an argument. Without posting the mess of a script i'll give you the basic logic
1. Admin runs the script to add the user John Doe who is part of the marketing department wtih addzimbrauser jdoe marketing
2. After adding the user, the script fetches the members of the distribution list 'marketing'
3. the script mounts each member of that distribution list's calendar to jdoe's calendar as / and cycles through the colors.
4. the script sets jdoe's calendar to be read-only to the distribution list 'marketing' and then mounts his calendar as /John Doe in the calendar of every other member of that department
5. So now when John Doe logs in he goes to calendar, he sees every other member of the marketing department's calendar in his pane. Each has it's own color and is turned off by default. Additionally, every other member now has John's calendar in theirs.
GetMeOutOfExchange

share calendar to group

Postby GetMeOutOfExchange » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:53 pm

Many thanks for the response BDial.

That sounds like the ticket.

Don't suppose you have released that script to the community ?
:)
mmorse
Ambassador
Ambassador

share calendar to group

Postby mmorse » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:16 pm

So first you need to give permission:

(You an also do this with the web-client/ZCO of course & -i might send an invite.)

CLI:

zmmailbox -z -m theshare@domain.com mfg -i /Calendar account user@domain.com r

OR

zmmailbox -z -m theshare@domain.com mfg /Calendar all r
mfg=modifyFolderGrant

You could do any of the following [account |group |domain |all |public| guest ] followed by the permissions r, rw, rwixd, none.

To mount:

zmmailbox -z -m user@domain.com createMountpoint --view appointment -F # folder theshare@domain.com folder

OR

zmmailbox -a admin -p password -m user@domain.com createMountpoint --view appointment /theshare@domain.com /sharedFolder #

OR

zmmailbox

mbox>adminAuthenticate -u https://server.domain.com:7071">https://server.domain.com:7071/>https://server.domain.com:7071 admin@domain.com password

mbox user@domain.com>createMountpoint --view appointment -F # folder theshare@domain.com folder
So an example for you:

zmmailbox -a admin -p password -m user@domain.com createMountpoint --view appointment "/Vacation Calendar" vacationcal@domain.com /VacationDates
Not exactly what you're asking, but do vote on this as well because I'd imagine your employees would like it :) Bug">http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=7473>Bug 7473 - Share management and discovery
mmorse
Ambassador
Ambassador

share calendar to group

Postby mmorse » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:39 pm

If you wanted to use SOAP instead I've attached the requests in a txt file.

Before we forget: Welcome to the forums!
GetMeOutOfExchange

share calendar to group

Postby GetMeOutOfExchange » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:59 pm

Many thanks for your replies and your welcome !

That gives me a nice couple of ways in.

Sadly my employees won't vote in favour of this issue because they all hate my IT policies ;-) or at least they would if I had any employees. Maybe that's why I don't have any employees....
browland
Advanced member
Advanced member

share calendar to group

Postby browland » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:06 pm

I have attempted to use DL for permissions, however receive error that "invalid email address" was entered. I have verified that the DL can receive email and is not hidden from GAL. Please let me know where and how to verify why this is an invalid address.
bdial
Elite member
Elite member

share calendar to group

Postby bdial » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:44 pm

[quote user="browland"]I have attempted to use DL for permissions, however receive error that "invalid email address" was entered. I have verified that the DL can receive email and is not hidden from GAL. Please let me know where and how to verify why this is an invalid address.[/QUOTE]
post the command you're using

Return to “Administrators”