How do I change calendar ownership?

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
12419Awol

Postby 12419Awol » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:59 am

I had a user who left our company but while she was here she created a calendar and shared it with most of the people she worked with. How can I transfer ownership of this calendar to someone else so they can share it will new staff.

dkarp
Elite member
Elite member

Postby dkarp » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:20 pm

I don't think you can do this now. Can you file an enhancement request in bugzilla for this (moving entire folders between users)? We're going to support moving individual items between users for the 5.0 release (bug 7129), but moving entire folder hierarchies is not part of that bug.
For now, can you grant someone admin rights on the calendar using zmprov and then just share the existing calendar with new staff?
mangantyr

Postby mangantyr » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:52 pm

Great. This sounds exactly what I've been looking for.
[quote user="dkarp"] ...grant someone admin rights on the calendar using zmprov ... [/QUOTE]
However, could you give us an example of what a command that grants "admin rights" on a calendar would look like?
For instance, let's assume we want to grant admin priviliges to "jdoe" on calendar "holidays"?
I've been perusing the docs and the wiki, and it's not that clear how to accomplish it, and considering the potential for trouble doing this by trial and error, I'd feel better seeing a working example first.
Thanks
Bevan Bennett

Postby Bevan Bennett » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:33 pm

I've been looking into a similar problem because we're setting up a new installation and I want to share our meeting room resource calendars with everybody.
The answer looks like using zmmailbox rather than zmprov.
Through the cli, the following appears to work:

zmmailbox

mbox> aa admin MY_ADMIN_PASSWORD

mbox> sm resource

mailbox: resource@example.com, size: 0 B, messages: 0, unread: 0

mbox resource@example.com> mfg /Calendar all r
It's a little maddening because the help doesn't list what the acceptable values are for permissions, but they appear to be "r for read", "w for write" and "a (for admin?)", or any combination thereof.

After setting the permission to "r", users were able to subscribe to the calendar.
In your case, you probably want "raw".
For command line use, the following also works for me.

% zmmailbox -z -m resource mfg /Calendar all r
Hope this helps!
Bevan Bennett

Postby Bevan Bennett » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:57 pm

Once you've shared your resource, you can automatically subscribe people to it!
zmmailbox -z -m USER cm -V appointment -c purple /Central Boardroom resource /Calendar
Very handy if, for example, you're writing a script to set things up for new users.

It's much easier for a new user to ignore or delete shared resources they don't want then to find out what resources they should have and figure out how to add them.
Now I just need an ics feed for Company Holidays and we'll be good to go.
L. Mark Stone
Elite member
Elite member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15 Network Edition

Postby L. Mark Stone » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:21 pm

The way we avoid this in the first instance is to create a non-human account to use for broadly shared calendars and contacts folders.
Something like "ShareMonkey@yourdomain.com" for example.
Then, you can log in as the sharemonkey account and share out the calendars and contacts lists you need to.
Sharemonkey's email can get forwarded to a real human if need be, but regardless, having a non-human account for these kinds of things means never having to worry about what happens when a key employee with a lot of shared items leaves.
Hope that helps,

Mark
17126thunder04
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby 17126thunder04 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:24 am

Is this still the case in Zimbra 8.0.2? I am in the exact same situation as the original poster. The assistant to our superintendent (I work for a school district) has retired. She created two calendars that are shared with our administrative team. Is there still no way to change ownership of said calendars?
L. Mark Stone
Elite member
Elite member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15 Network Edition

Postby L. Mark Stone » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:40 am

[quote]IS THIS STILL THE CASE IN ZIMBRA 8.0.2? I AM IN THE EXACT SAME SITUATION AS THE ORIGINAL POSTER. THE ASSISTANT TO OUR SUPERINTENDENT (I WORK FOR A SCHOOL DISTRICT) HAS RETIRED. SHE CREATED TWO CALENDARS THAT ARE SHARED WITH OUR ADMINISTRATIVE TEAM. IS THERE STILL NO WAY TO CHANGE OWNERSHIP OF SAID CALENDARS?[/QUOTE]
THIS IS STILL WORKING AS ORIGINALLY INTENDED, WHICH IS WHY THE NON-HUMAN MAILBOX TECHNIQUE AVOIDS THE PROBLEM WITH RETIRING OR OTHERWISE DEPARTING EMPLOYEES.
IF I MAY, I'D SUGGEST THE FOLLOWING:

• EXPORT THE CALENDARS FROM THE SUPERINTENDENT'S ASSISTANT'S MAILBOX.

• CREATE A NEW NON-HUMAN MAILBOX AS DESCRIBED ABOVE IN THIS THREAD.

• IMPORT THE CALENDARS INTO THIS NEW NON-HUMAN MAILBOX.

• SHARE OUT THE CALENDARS FROM THE NON-HUMAN MAILBOX TO DESIGNATED STAFF, ENSURING AT LEAST ONE STAFF MEMBER HAS AT LEAST MANAGER PRIVILEGES.

• ONCE STAFF HAVE ACCEPTED THE SHARES AND CONFIRMED ALL IS WELL, FROM THE SUPERINTENDENT'S ASSISTANT'S MAILBOX REVOKE ALL THE SHARES FOR THOSE TWO CALENDARS.

• LIFE CYCLE THE SUPERINTENDENT'S ASSISTANT'S MAILBOX AS PER YOUR POLICIES.

HOPE THAT HELPS,

MARK
17126thunder04
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby 17126thunder04 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:53 am

Thanks for the quick reply!
I figured that was the case, but I wanted to check first. I'll move the calendars to a non-human account and re-share.
I-man

Postby I-man » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:46 am

JUST WONDERING, THIS THREAD IS VERY OLD IS THIS STILL VALID FOR 2014? IF NOT CAN I REQUEST A NEW FEATURE TO BE ADDED TO ZIMBRA THAT WOULD ALLOW FOR CHANGING A CALENDAR OWNER WHEN YOU ALREADY HAVE MULTIPLE ADMINS ON SAID CALENDAR.
THANKS
[quote]THIS IS STILL WORKING AS ORIGINALLY INTENDED, WHICH IS WHY THE NON-HUMAN MAILBOX TECHNIQUE AVOIDS THE PROBLEM WITH RETIRING OR OTHERWISE DEPARTING EMPLOYEES.
IF I MAY, I'D SUGGEST THE FOLLOWING:

• EXPORT THE CALENDARS FROM THE SUPERINTENDENT'S ASSISTANT'S MAILBOX.

• CREATE A NEW NON-HUMAN MAILBOX AS DESCRIBED ABOVE IN THIS THREAD.

• IMPORT THE CALENDARS INTO THIS NEW NON-HUMAN MAILBOX.

• SHARE OUT THE CALENDARS FROM THE NON-HUMAN MAILBOX TO DESIGNATED STAFF, ENSURING AT LEAST ONE STAFF MEMBER HAS AT LEAST MANAGER PRIVILEGES.

• ONCE STAFF HAVE ACCEPTED THE SHARES AND CONFIRMED ALL IS WELL, FROM THE SUPERINTENDENT'S ASSISTANT'S MAILBOX REVOKE ALL THE SHARES FOR THOSE TWO CALENDARS.

• LIFE CYCLE THE SUPERINTENDENT'S ASSISTANT'S MAILBOX AS PER YOUR POLICIES.

HOPE THAT HELPS,

MARK[/QUOTE]

Return to “Administrators”