how to backup and restore zimbra8

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
ahmedtech2013

Postby ahmedtech2013 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:05 am

HI i installed succufully zimbra 8 lately but now i am looking for some ways to recover(backup ad restore ) Data ,emails,accounts,configuration in case if a disaster happen to the server or any other problems.i googled it but most solution i have seen was about a older version 5,6 .i really need good and reliable solution to convince my boss to use it.and thanks :)

1215vavai
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby 1215vavai » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:14 am

[quote user="ahmedtech2013"]HI i installed succufully zimbra 8 lately but now i am looking for some ways to recover(backup ad restore ) Data ,emails,accounts,configuration in case if a disaster happen to the server or any other problems.i googled it but most solution i have seen was about a older version 5,6 .i really need good and reliable solution to convince my boss to use it.and thanks :)[/QUOTE]
The easiest backup maybe by deploying Zimbra on top of Virtualization and then using 3rd party backup software to backup it's image system. vSphere Data Protection, Symantec Exec, Acronis, etc for an example.
If you are using Zimbra NE, backup data integrated on it's services.
Another alternative :

http://www.zextras.com/zextras-backup-for-zimbra.html">http://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Backup_and_Restore_Articles
http://www.zextras.com/zextras-backup-for-zimbra.html
JoshuaPrismon
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Postby JoshuaPrismon » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:31 am

Are you using open source or network edition?
For Open Source, my experience has been that a flat backup of the system, combined with backups of mysql extracts and LDAP ldiff's have you covered in the worst case, while a backup of the live is usually sufficent to recover the system. For network edition, there is robust built-in backup capability.
ahmedtech2013

Postby ahmedtech2013 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:13 am

HI again and thanks for your replies .i am using the open source , i have seen the zextra zimlet it is wonderful tool but i am looking for free solution . i was thinking of back up the whole system including Zimbra configuration but on that server we run other service as openerp so i can't think of this solution .what i am looking for is how to do a hot back up and restore i have tried the zmbkpose script but i coudn't resolve some problems on the script . I am looking also if a something happen to the server how to back up and restore the whole configuration of the zimbra (Ldap,accounts configuration that include external email too,mailboxes, documents) .and thanks
ahmedtech2013

Postby ahmedtech2013 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:29 am

Also i am Not familiar with Zimbra this why i can't understand the backup of old version which i find on google to apply them on the zimbra 8
agarrett5

Postby agarrett5 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:35 am

[quote user="ahmedtech2013"]Also i am Not familiar with Zimbra this why i can't understand the backup of old version which i find on google to apply them on the zimbra 8[/QUOTE]
I'm currently trying hot backup - zmbkpose at the moment as suggested by someone in another post I was asking about it backup solutions. It seems to be backing up but when testing to restore it seems to run through fine without any errors then when I look to see if accounts have restored they haven't. I am looking into this at the moment. To me it seems like the simplest solution, assuming I can get the restore working properly. I have the backup running as a cron job.

Return to “Administrators”